• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Radius-based voice chat for infantry.

Oh how small the internet is when I find myself running into Snuffeldjuret and Hypno Toad on every forum that I join. :) Nice to see you guys here.

On the matter of 3d voice I prefer it. Is it incredibly realistic? No, but if you want that, just log off of your computer. As previously stated by Hypno Toad, it does add to the immersion and fun. The ability to trick teammates and eavesdrop for intel is nice.

Also, it has been suggested that players should be given an option between 3d voice and team chat. I disagree with this. I think that vehicles and radio classes should possess this ability, but run-of-the-mill infantry shouldn't.

Also, I believe that it should be a server option. If a server wants to have everyone speak in team-chat they should be able to do that.

Upvote 0
Hearing enemy voices in English pretty trivial. People often talk over the team voice anyways, you probably won't find it to be immersion breaking if you're in a good match. Also, If voices on the other side of walls or structures get muffled, then I dont think you'd really discern exactly what your enemies are saying up until you are shooting at them

Upvote 0
There was some nice discussion about this 3D audio chat stuff last time it came up:
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=46027[url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=46027[/URL]

Perhaps next time Gibson is in Crosshairs or whatnot podcast, someone should ask him about VOIP in RO2 so they can't evade this matter forever :D

This has been the only response from the dev team so far that i have seen about this matter:

Some previous discussion about this matter:
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=42592[url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=42592[/URL]

I just hope everyone doesnt have a brain-implant-walkie-talkies in a ww2 game. 3D voice chat is the way to go. Tank crew ofc should have their own separate system on top of that.
This. RnL did it just fine.
And of course nobody is using Teamspeak or Vent when playing RnL or any other game for that matter. :)

Anyway, Imo the reason ppl usually use Mumble, Vent and etc. is cos current game developers have failed to provide a VOIP system with their games that is _easily_ customized for clan/team purposes and has a good quality.

3D voice chat brings such an immersion to a game that I for one do not even want to use Mumble in RnL cos it just ruins the feeling totally. And I actually enjoy the silence when you are that far from team mates that only thing you hear is distant firefight and crickets.
Ofc some ppl will always want to privately chat with their friends and will use 3rd party programs for that if the game doesnt provide good enough system for that too.

Upvote 0
Excellent post Atkins ;). It is because the in-game voice system isn't good enough that you feel you need a 3rd party to be able to communicate with your friends in the same game. With a good system you would still be in a 3rd party, but you would use the in-game much more. Thus including other people on the server in your and your friends conversations in-game.

I for one has completely turned off the voice in RO1. I am not fond of hearing german or russian 24/7 in global voice........ (as I cannot speak any of them). Instead I play with friends as often as I can and we use a 3rd party. All of my friends have also muted the whole in-game voice system because we just find it annoying.

Someone asked Gibson last time he was on the Bash and Slash, the answer was that they had no answer yet :p.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Tripwire could try to set an example with the voice chat system and include at least all of these to the game:

• 3D ranged voice chat
* Enemies can't be heard
* Enemies can be heard
* Enemies can be heard but not understood (Simlish)

• Squad based voice chat
  • Vehicle voice chat
  • Team based voice chat
  • Custom group voice chat with the ability lock channel, invite and kick users.
Let the server owners easily set which above chat systems can be used.

What is needed as well is an easy and fast to use menu for muting certain channel(s) and person(s) + voting system. 3D voice chat tends to bring the worst out of people when they realize that only limited ppl can hear their shenanigans.

Upvote 0
Tripwire could try to set an example with the voice chat system and include at least all of these to the game:

• 3D ranged voice chat
* Enemies can't be heard
* Enemies can be heard
* Enemies can be heard but not understood (Simlish)

• Squad based voice chat
  • Vehicle voice chat
  • Team based voice chat
  • Custom group voice chat with the ability lock channel, invite and kick users.
Let the server owners easily set which above chat systems can be used.

What is needed as well is an easy and fast to use menu for muting certain channel(s) and person(s) + voting system. 3D voice chat tends to bring the worst out of people when they realize that only limited ppl can hear their shenanigans.

My fear is that TWI lacks the budget to get good voice acting/localization

Upvote 0
I can attest to the awesomeness of this too... having used mumble positional audio in Project Reality games... I remember one moment in particular... we were assaulting a Chinese held hill as Brits (fictional modern war obviously), put bayos on our L85s just for the heck of it, and screamed like madmen as we speared the poor buggers.

Obviously in PR squads already stick together a lot, but this feature allowed us to easily coordinate 2-3 squads together for the charge. And that's just one example.

Cool thing about it too is you can whisper real quiet if you're right next to someone so the enemy doesn't hear you. (though some PR servers have the teams separate on separate mumble channels, which I think is gay).

I've also enjoyed sneaking up on a few guys discussing plans (squad leaders I believe) and massacring them because they thought no enemies were nearby and were speaking at normal volume :D.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nice to see so many RnL folk here :p

Yeah, I've heard about the mumble feature in PR. Given PR's gameplay a feature like that really should have been implemented by default, I can see it being a lot of fun.

As for hearing enemies, I think you should be able to hear their voice at least, but it could always be done so that beyond a certain distance the treble level of the voice could be rolled to nearly nothing, so all your hear is sort of a faint, undiscernable mumble. It wouldn't sound too weird, it'd just sound like faint background chatter. At very close ranges you'd be able to make out what people say, but at that point it really wouldn't matter as you'd already be blasting each other.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snuffeldjuret
Upvote 0
....Perhaps next time Gibson is in Crosshairs or whatnot podcast, someone should ask him about VOIP in RO2 so they can't evade this matter forever :D......

Been there, done that. Though Yoshi answered and not John. I can't remember the exact question but I think I asked if there was any word on VOIP. The answer was essentially "No word."

There is another VOIP thread here somewhere....

As TW is silent on the issue, one can only presume that whatever they are trying to implement is ground breaking. (Or at least one can hope...:cool:)

Reactions: Snuffeldjuret
Upvote 0

Yeah, I've heard about the mumble feature in PR. Given PR's gameplay a feature like that really should have been implemented by default, I can see it being a lot of fun.

As for hearing enemies, I think you should be able to hear their voice at least, but it could always be done so that beyond a certain distance the treble level of the voice could be rolled to nearly nothing, so all your hear is sort of a faint, undiscernable mumble. It wouldn't sound too weird, it'd just sound like faint background chatter. At very close ranges you'd be able to make out what people say, but at that point it really wouldn't matter as you'd already be blasting each other.
Ya it should've been included by default, and IIRC the devs really wanted to, but can't because of some limitation of the BF2 engine.

I like your idea in the second paragraph too.

Upvote 0

At very close ranges you'd be able to make out what people say, but at that point it really wouldn't matter as you'd already be blasting each other.

RnL ftw!

It is more about the fact that there is and always will be a large group of ppl (mostly young) that will use the 3D voice to more or less constantly insult enemy players. The radius range actually lowers the threshold to do this and admins cant really control this kind of behavior that easily.

You have probably heard this in RnL when someone kills you, he pours the frustration on you with insults. RnL's player base a bit selected so i am afraid that this effect will magnify a bit more with RO2 cos it will be more popular and mainstream.

Upvote 0
They should make it so the commanders and squad leaders have radios...to issue orders and receive orders...and then all the inf have only radial

well, radios already exist in RO2, so it wouldn't be all that hard to be fair. The main problem would be that people would use teamspeak and the like if it turned from a feature into a challenge

Upvote 0
well, radios already exist in RO2, so it wouldn't be all that hard to be fair. The main problem would be that people would use teamspeak and the like if it turned from a feature into a challenge

That kinda knocks this whole thread out of the water then lol... I play with a very dedicated to realism group on darkest hour... and they would follow that rule...but I think the whole teamspeak thing kinda just screws all of that over

Upvote 0