• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sunday morning blather

Feature lock before public demo release? I hoped this wouldn't happen, oh well.

Did you really expect it to go the other way around? I don't think that's how game development works. Not unless you want the game to be released 6 months after the large closed beta.

Anyway, this is TWI - they'll add stuff post release - they always do. Feature lock is what they want to have in by ship date. Updates are a different story.

Thanks for the update Alan!

Upvote 0
Did you really expect it to go the other way around? I don't think that's how game development works. Not unless you want the game to be released 6 months after the large closed beta.

Yes I did expect it that way, since I already betatested close betas for other games that way. :(
Oh well, let's see how it turns out and wait for that sweet moment of the first bullet being fired. Can't wait to hear the sound and reworked recoil system, not to mention the awesome bipod gun systems.

Upvote 0
TIL "beta" "testers" are actually the real game designers.

This forum is getting better every day. :)

It's actually not that strange of a thing. If it's the way to go depends on the game. Minecraft would be the prime example but I would almost not count it as a beta anymore. Natural Selection 2 is probably a better example of such an approach. They are far from feature lock and figure out the game mechanics with the community through beta testing.

I believe some TWI staff have mentioned that they didn't choose this approach largely cause a lot of people these days look at a beta as a demo for the game.

Upvote 0