• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

would this offend you?

lol. its ok. I understand the sentiment out there, which is why I titled the post "would you be offended," because I understand how protective gamers can be, especially when its an "indy."

Anyway, in an age where there is no SDKs anymore, this is really the only game thats going to allow mods to a degree that we havent seen in years. Thats the main thrust of this. The BF3 engine wont have an SDK for a while and probably wont allow any sort of freedom that this game will. So to use this engine for my own purposes and maybe eventually I would like to make a sci-fi style game mod in the future if I get some support and help.

The other thing is, that even if this mod wouldn't be a success, for me it would be fun to try, as a learning experience. Finally, I like RO the way it was. I don't mind playing the actual game, and will no matter what. I just though it would be fun to learn modding by doing something to reach out. More sales is more sales I figure even if its just a handful. If they dont like RO then they wont buy it anyway, so its not like its a loss. I bought BF2 simply for the mod tools, and although none of my mods were of any success, It was nice to create a game you like. I would hope that some of you guys would come out and try the mod even if its just to relax from the main game and to support other modders; to each their own.

But again, dont worry - you will see me enough to shoot me in the actual game :p Hell, it may not even be worth trying to mod in the first place.

Well you should try it, especially if it lures people into RO2 then after playing the mod it can lead them into the actual game. Also you should do it alone for the experience and fun of it. So I say go ahead and do it, only reason most of the guys got offended because they don't know how to read properly.

Good luck with your experiment.

Upvote 0
Anyway, in an age where there is no SDKs anymore, this is really the only game thats going to allow mods to a degree that we havent seen in years. Thats the main thrust of this. The BF3 engine wont have an SDK for a while and probably wont allow any sort of freedom that this game will. So to use this engine for my own purposes and maybe eventually I would like to make a sci-fi style game mod in the future if I get some support and help.

That's why we like mods. Maybe someone can create a sci-fi team DM shooter, call it something like, oh, I dunno... "Real Tournament" or something :)

Joking aside: yes, we believe in the FULL SDK thing, just because it can only be good for us in the long run. Why NOT do it??

Upvote 0
That's why we like mods. Maybe someone can create a sci-fi team DM shooter, call it something like, oh, I dunno... "Real Tournament" or something :)

Joking aside: yes, we believe in the FULL SDK thing, just because it can only be good for us in the long run. Why NOT do it??

Plus it does look great when people always bring up TWI in conversations about modding.

You lot are becoming role models to alot of game developers now. Perhaps even DICE will have to start following you lot soon, looking at how they're doing stuff. :)

I always found mods to make the heart of a community game, much like in ArmA2. If you give the players a platform to play on, and tools to do what they like with it. They will make mods.

Upvote 0
3 years down the road:

"hay have you seen this mod?"
"Yes it looks amazing!! I really want it!!"
"what game is it for??"
"Red orchestra 2"
"Sweet! I'm going to go buy it just to play this mod!!"

This isn't exactly flattering to the original concept of ro, but there are people out there that think this way. People who normally would never have anything to do with this game if it weren't for the mod. And who knows, maybe one day they will try the original Ro2 and be delighted.

Upvote 0
I would prefer if new players would learn that RO's greatness lies in being different and unique from other shooters.

And if people need a mod to find out about RO, let it be (are people still buying games because of mods?)

But maybe new players can attracted to RO with different means (free weekends and such :confused:)

Reactions: Capt.Marion
Upvote 0
Third party mod: Who cares? Dont like it, dont play it.

TW Official mod: Probably better things to do...

Though, while on the topic if you take a look at Insurgency mod; after a couple of months the game deteriorated to having "arcade" mods in just about every populated server... Granted, INS was a lot more arcade than RO in the first place. I expect RO2 will have a very large player base, so being limited to a particular server probably would not be an issue.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

But would it take into account full laser ballistics? Time of flight at 300,000 km/s, and photon drop? Of course it will have to have an X-Wing IS-2.

This should be done in a TWI sponsored mod competition, called "Make Something Real."

Upvote 0
Jeeeesus people read the OP's post carefully. He's not suggesting that TWI make a mode that throws out our favorite realism features.

He's asking for a mod. Last I checked there wasn't some board of inquiry that decided what kinds of mods people are aloud to make. If someone makes a mod that adds in conventional elements to get other gamers used to the game, then who gives a ****? It makes gamers happy and it makes RO faithful happy in the long run because there's a decent chance those same people will want to try out the more "hardcore" and challenging RO2 standard gameplay modes.

I love RO just as much as all the other old timers on these forums, but I don't understand flaming the hell out of someone who raises a perfectly reasonable point and has every right to do so.

Upvote 0
Okay I'm not talking to you or any one else here now but I just gotta say. The worst thing there is is when a f*cking 12 year old goes in to a different FPS with new exciting gameplay and get this idea that they want it exacly as f*cking COD. Arrrrrrg I f*cking want to shot them in ther little faces. If you want to play a f*cking braindead game play f*cking COD then and leave us real gamers alone!!

Ah once again I'm not talking to anyone here I just need to get my rage out. :)

Upvote 0
I personally think this is a win win situation. The more people who get into the game the better, the more money twi makes.

Don't we all want twi to sell a lot and get filthy rich?
I do.

I can't wait for twi east and west.

Or it could be a bad thing if in a circumstance that it did bring a lot more players. If it did blow up big and an influx of players were to come in because of a mod like this, how many of them would eventually convert into the normal gameplay elements? Maybe it would just cause an influx of people playing on "Softcore" modded servers and empty the normal servers too much, putting a strain on the normal gameplay. Not saying this would occur and would be highly unlikely, just saying it may not be win/win afterall if some mod this were to explode. Especially if it attracted more experienced modders into the game and they dedicated their efforts towards developing more mods like these and they became the popular element of the games following. It would be just AWFUL if that happened.

Personally I say if people want to play "relaxed realism" or "softcore" FPS games, then find a game that was made to be this way, don't bring it to RO.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
3 years down the road:

"hay have you seen this mod?"
"Yes it looks amazing!! I really want it!!"
"what game is it for??"
"Red orchestra 2"
"Sweet! I'm going to go buy it just to play this mod!!"

Sort of how less serious players buy counterstrike source or HL2 to mess around with garry's mod

I mean
i bought HL2 just to play garry's mod

and heck I ended up playing through HL2 eventually and loving it!

Upvote 0
exactly!
I bought HL1 back in the day so i could play dod 1.3 when it was a mod.

We could also look at it like this, I bought RO:eek:st and was extremely surprised when i found out about DH mod, it was a complete bonus i had never expected.

Just like how RS and the other mods in the making will be a complete bonus to RO2. Maybe a less realistic mod will be a nice bonus as well.

Yes, there is always the chance that a more unrealistic mod that isn't to our liking blows up and becomes more popular than ro2, but then we will still have our RO2 and also will take satisfaction in all of the people who had bought RO2 to play that mod.

I certainly take satisfaction in the impending victory and success of RO2.

Upvote 0
Jeeeesus people read the OP's post carefully. He's not suggesting that TWI make a mode that throws out our favorite realism features.

He's asking for a mod. Last I checked there wasn't some board of inquiry that decided what kinds of mods people are aloud to make. If someone makes a mod that adds in conventional elements to get other gamers used to the game, then who gives a ****? It makes gamers happy and it makes RO faithful happy in the long run because there's a decent chance those same people will want to try out the more "hardcore" and challenging RO2 standard gameplay modes.

I love RO just as much as all the other old timers on these forums, but I don't understand flaming the hell out of someone who raises a perfectly reasonable point and has every right to do so.

^this^

people like different things....chill

Upvote 0
----- snip -----

What the flying feck is the matter with some of you people? There are bazillions of new warm bodies out there that would actually like to find their way into the RO fold. When people are willing to find ways to help them - even if you wouldn't enjoy that "mode" yourself - why the sh1t would you immediately leap on them and slap them? If they are whiny little bastards, they won't stay and they won't "bother" you. But, in an ideal world, they will become converts, stay and contribute fully to the beast that is RO.

I think I am going give up my personal membership of the Elitist Prick Club and ban the next camel-humper who punches people who want to help us all. If people want to help, by all means say "I wouldn't play that version if you paid me" - but do NOT (repeat do NOT) poke them in the eye and treat them like scum for suggesting it.

So - try the concept of WELCOMING newcomers and their ideas.

Mr. Wilson.......

THANK YOU ever so much!!

That's been needing to be said for years!

TWI stands on the threshold of deep market penetration and that is what its all about if the RO tradition of high quality and true user support is to persist.

The more the merrier - I say.
:IS2:

Upvote 0