• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What are You Reading?

I'm actually re-reading an excellent book called The Greatest Battle by Andrew Nagorski.

GreatestBattle.jpg

It's about the battle of Moscow and argues that it was one of the, if not THE most important battle of WWII, and I tend to agree with him. Really excellent book that is chock full of great information. It really is unbelievable just how much life was lost around Moscow -- it would prove to be the bloodiest battle of the war.

You should also try out 'the Retreat' by Michael Jones... it goes into the psychology of both sides during the battle in great depth.

I helped with some of the translation for it btw ;)

Upvote 0
America's Forgotten Army

51SQX6JCVNL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I've read this book probably at least three times...and not since probably 2004. Must be pretty good if I read it so many times before I was 15, I don't really remember much...but if I read it I might. Reccommended. Also, Napolean's Buttons came today! I was surprised. Two days. GG Amazon! Just in time, just finished A Time to Betray.

Upvote 0
I can't see that background image anymore without picturing in my head the logo "Red Orchestra Ostfront 41-45" with the Russian sniper in the lower corner :D
----------------------------------------
Well, the last novel I read was Mass Effect Retribution, which is a great book IMHO. I'm a big fan of the series and have read all novels and comics of the game. Now I'm waiting for the other chapters of ME: Evolution (way better than Redemption so far).

Upvote 0
Uniforms, Organization & History of the Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler - Cook, Bender.

Rereading to get into history mood.

Masters of Contemporary Watchmaking - Clerizo.

If you're into wrist watches, most interesting. Nice coverage of Philippe Dufour.

Heaven and Earth: Global warming, the missing science - Pilmer.

Get your head screwed on right for a proper perspective of this issue. Dense, somewhat disorganized, the writings of an award winning, respected scientist. Not for tree huggers.

Modern Cosmology - Dodelson.

Picked this up last trip to Stanford. A few years old but still relevant, only missing the latest theoretical work (e.g. WMAP constraints). A textbook, expect to exercise your mathematical physics, GR, etc. knowledge. Brush-up on GR, inflation basics are included in the text.

Game Engine Architecture - Gregory.

Just started reading in earnest, after skimming. Bought to add to my 'loaner" shelf for friends that want an overview of things and lack the background or desire for more rigorous coverage. Seems like a "game engines for dummies" style, nothing covered really deeply, but the basic concepts all covered for a good basic understanding.

Rob

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just finished up Harry Potter. Not really sure how I feel about it. It was good and all, but I feel like watching the movies before the books definitely ruined the experience of reading it.

I quite enjoyed the ending, but didn't quite care for the epilogue.

I'm thinking of re-reading Howl's Moving Castle since I haven't read it since high school. I remember really enjoying it then.

Upvote 0
I'm currently reading this. I just finished reading Dune and Dune Messiah by Frank Herbert. They were both my first Sci-fi books I've ever read. I went out and bought Children of Dune and God Emperor of Dune right after finishing Dune Messiah--that's when I picked up the Russian history book and decided to take a small break from the Dune universe. Prior to Dune I read The Yom Kippur War and The Rising Sun--which is tied in my mind with Rising '44 for The Most Depressing Book Ever Award--and on my flight to Los Angeles for New Year's I read A Short Introduction to Hegel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0