Tripwire Interactive Forums

Go Back   Tripwire Interactive Forums > Red Orchestra 2 / Rising Storm Forums > Technical Support > RO2/RS Support

Old 02-23-2014, 04:20 AM

Default Is this a message I need to upgrade?

I have pretty old still dual core processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.1GHz. I love this game and have plaayed it for around 270 hours so far. However it runs far from smooth. I rarely see 60 fps, usually around 30-40, and it drops to 20 (and less) quite often. However it's still pretty playable but defently harder to play compared to those who run and it smoothly.

So my quastion is if my processor needs to be replaced? I have a pretty good graphics (amd 7850) and 6 gbs of ram.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:29 AM
TWIL Section Admin Staff

Yeah, sounds like the processor needs replacing. Dual cores just don't cut it these days.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskeeto View Post
Yeah, sounds like the processor needs replacing. Dual cores just don't cut it these days.
And what about engine? Unreal (3 or whatever it is). I had similar problems with other unreal games like Homefront, Section 8 Prejudice, Tribes...
Old 02-23-2014, 09:31 AM

I have the same processor. With my original intel HD graphics card I only got 10-15 fps on low. I upgraded to an MSI HD 7870, and now I get close to 60 fps on ultra in RO2 and between 40-60 in RS. I too thought about a Processor upgrade but after looking around the forums a lot of people said that RO only uses 2 cores anyway. Look at the tweaking guide, turn off steam community in-game, close background programs, turn shadow quality down, uncheck most of the boxes like bloom, blur, whatever else. That worked for me.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:32 AM

get extra 2gb of ram, but definitely upgrade the processor, even if you need to grab a new mobo too. unreal 3 is a definite processor hog, but the games aren't going to get any easier on it...

Genesis of IS2
Old 02-23-2014, 12:16 PM

RO2 will only use 2 threads. Thus a 2 core CPU should be sufficient if (and only if) you do not run a lot of background processes/services while being in-game. Each such process/service will claim a bit of your CPU. On a dual core CPU it means that one (or both) of the RO2 threads will get less CPU time.

If you decide to go for a new CPU, then make sure that the CPU runs on a higher clock speed than the one that you use now. I've seen people that went from a dual core to a quad core, though with lower clock speed. As a result their performance went down, because still only 2 cores were used that did run at a lower speed.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:00 PM
TWIL Section Admin Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
RO2 will only use 2 threads. Thus a 2 core CPU should be sufficient if (and only if) you do not run a lot of background processes/services while being in-game. Each such process/service will claim a bit of your CPU. On a dual core CPU it means that one (or both) of the RO2 threads will get less CPU time.

If you decide to go for a new CPU, then make sure that the CPU runs on a higher clock speed than the one that you use now. I've seen people that went from a dual core to a quad core, though with lower clock speed. As a result their performance went down, because still only 2 cores were used that did run at a lower speed.
I confirm what ducky said !

And other good example is the benefit of a CPU overclock on ro2. It's massive ! It could be 20 fps (no kidding!) depending of your level of OC.

"God Forgives... G.F.A donít !"
Our Website Our Youtube channel
Old 02-27-2014, 11:32 AM

Thanks for feedback. I now have brand new motherboard and Intel i5 3470 and game works smooth like a butter on the highest possible settings.