Tripwire Interactive Forums

Go Back   Tripwire Interactive Forums > Red Orchestra 2 / Rising Storm Forums > RO2/RS General > Ideas and Suggestions

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.  
Old 02-05-2014, 06:53 PM

Default Please change the Kick Voting in the next patch.

I'm sorry if this is beating a dead horse and I realize that their are other threads about this. But can we please have a better kick voting menu in the next patch? I think this would pretty much solve 99% of issues with bad teamleaders / squadleaders as well as eliminate the need for auto kicks for teamkills.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:29 AM

Agree
Old 02-06-2014, 08:29 AM
On Vacation

At the very least the player list should be alphabetical, this alone could improve the efficiency of trying to kick a lot.

Does it matter which reason for the kick is given from the drop-down menu? Does it get sent to server admin or get recorded anywhere? I doubt that feature needs to be there.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:21 AM

1) The kick list should be sortable. I should be able to sort it by name, by team, and especially by the number of kickvotes (this should be very handy for supporting someone else's initiative). This is such a natural thing in table interfaces that I am surprised it isn't there.

2) Deal with the list resetting bug. I don't know if it happens to other people, but this is the most grating thing of all.

If you try to scroll down the list, it immediately resets the scrollbar back to the upper position (and the list with it) whenever something changes in the list: be it a player joining/quitting, or someone voting against someone else.

The same happens in the chat window on the campaign screen.

3) This may be a bit more dubious, but lower the vote threshold for kicking. Currently, I think it should be over 16 (or maybe a quarter of all players) for someone to be kicked: make it 8 or 10.

I say 'dubious' because the system may be abused more easily, but in all my time in this game I've never seen griefers in big groups, and one-two of them still would not be able to disrupt the game through kick-voting (especially if they are promptly kicked themselves).

Last edited by Grenator; 02-06-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:30 AM
On Vacation

All this kick voting fiasco is going to lead to is popularity contests and team stacking. Whne the new player is at the mercy of the 'expierienced' players and are limited to cannon fodder roles will they return to that server. You all know the answer. So go ahead an limit your player base and then wonder how and why it happened.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier173 View Post
All this kick voting fiasco is going to lead to is popularity contests and team stacking. Whne the new player is at the mercy of the 'expierienced' players and are limited to cannon fodder roles will they return to that server. You all know the answer. So go ahead an limit your player base and then wonder how and why it happened.
Not really, frankly, all this will do is stop trolling. That's what a role kick menu is for, to kick anyone, of any rank, from a role if need be. This won't make the team stack any worse then it all ready is. And it won't turn away new comers either, if anything it will be better than a role limit. And besides, there is no reason that kick vote should't work.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier173 View Post
What, you took TL once and the team didn't see you inner greatness?
Old 02-06-2014, 04:16 PM

If you think an easy to access kick voting system is the answer, you should check out the insurgency forums.

Complaints from guys who say the other team votekicks the good players on the opposite side. Good players get kicked for "cheating". People claiming others are 'afk' and getting them vote kicked. People accusing others of intentional TK's and getting them vote kicked. People getting vote kicked just to get the buddies in....etc. etc.

Careful what you ask for....you just might get it.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
If you think an easy to access kick voting system is the answer, you should check out the insurgency forums.

Complaints from guys who say the other team votekicks the good players on the opposite side. Good players get kicked for "cheating". People claiming others are 'afk' and getting them vote kicked. People accusing others of intentional TK's and getting them vote kicked. People getting vote kicked just to get the buddies in....etc. etc.

Careful what you ask for....you just might get it.
I dont think that will be an issue. For some reason most off the forum seems to think we have a ****ty community but we have a better on than most. I highly doubt it will get abused very often.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenator View Post

2) Deal with the list resetting bug. I don't know if it happens to other people, but this is the most grating thing of all.

If you try to scroll down the list, it immediately resets the scrollbar back to the upper position (and the list with it) whenever something changes in the list: be it a player joining/quitting, or someone voting against someone else.
This also happens to me on servers that have map voting, it drives me crazy. If you want to vote for map at the bottom of the list, forget it. Every time someone votes it jumps back to the top. So unless you are the first one to vote, you're never going to play maps down the list. (Kita Jima)
Old 02-07-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpz38 Hetzer View Post
I dont think that will be an issue. For some reason most off the forum seems to think we have a ****ty community but we have a better on than most. I highly doubt it will get abused very often.
If/when the game becomes mainstream (which I assume would ultimately be TWI's goal), you're going to get a whole new set of players. Just look at the change in player mindsets from RO:Ost to RO2/RS. Aren't some people already clamoring for an easier way to kick TL's and SL's that aren't up to "their" standards? Besides if admins want to be exclusionary, there is already an honor system in place that allows the admin to only allow certain honor levels to play.

Even so, consider that I'm at honor level 99 in RO. SL is my favorite role. I'm hero in all rifle classes (other than sniper, I'm still 0 in that class an most smg classes). Been playing RO:Ost since day one. However were I to take TL class, it probably wouldn't take a server 3 minutes to remove me from the role. I never play it. If I'm getting kicked for learning a position in the game, where am I going to learn?

If it can be abused, the internet lemmings will abuse it. Trust me.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
If I'm getting kicked for learning a position in the game, where am I going to learn?
With TL it's excessively easy: go to servers, where people with mikes and experience hang out, and then see what, when and how good TLs do. Observation will definitely relieve you of your most egregious mistakes, like dropping arty in front of a capzone, and not behind it.

Same goes for SL. I was a hero TL when I first even tried SL, and I already knew what to do, because I saw people, who are good at it, do it.

-------------

And regarding that there may be serious abuse, and real attempts to kick good players and cause other trouble: in all my time in RO2, I've never seen concerted attempts to abuse vote kicking.

Yes, there were enough (still, few) times when one or two players would start complaining about someone else's 'cheating' (although I've seen real cheaters), but no one is talking about giving the power to kick someone the basis of one or two people's opinion.

It's about relaxing the vote kicking threshold (e.g. from 16 to 8-10), so that it's easier to remove clearly incompetent people, who don't care about the rest of the players, but still hog crucial roles. While frivolous votekicking is quite rare (and never leads to anything even hypothetically), role hogging happens ALL THE TIME.

Currently, even though a bad TL can usually be dispatched if the team mostly consists of people who listen and care (i.e. not in the game just for the grind), good luck getting rid of someone incompetent in SL1 — (in Realism) the role is often hugely important, but SL1's actions are not always obvious to the entire team, and they get to snipe with their shiny PPSh the entire round, because their squad can't kick them.

Last edited by Grenator; 02-07-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:21 PM

We need a feature of the game to work Floyd. And Im not advocating kicking a noob who is willing to learn. Im talking about kicking anyone, no matter what rank, who wont even try to play the role right. And hopefully, a working kick vote will get rid of the need for a friendly fire limit.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:30 PM

My "where am I to go to learn" was rhetorical....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenator View Post
And regarding that there may be serious abuse, and real attempts to kick good players and cause other trouble: in all my time in RO2, I've never seen concerted attempts to abuse vote kicking.
Because its not point and click. It takes some effort. I'm all for streamlining the process, just be aware of what will happen if you make it too easy. Or else get ready for the vote kick menu to be in your face all of the time.
Quote:
It's about relaxing the vote kicking threshold (e.g. from 16 to 8-10), so that it's easier to remove clearly incompetent people, who don't care about the rest of the players, but still hog crucial roles. While frivolous votekicking is quite rare (and never leads to anything even hypothetically), role hogging happens ALL THE TIME.
The last time I ran an RO2 server, the vote kick requirement was fully configurable by the server admin. Does it not work now? If it does, perhaps there should be an option to remove the clueless server admins? Or Perhaps configuring different %'s for different actions is in order. If I'm not mistaken, that is what Insurgency is having to go to from the vote kick abuse.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:53 AM

Quote:
My "where am I to go to learn" was rhetorical....
Because its not point and click. It takes some effort. I'm all for streamlining the process, just be aware of what will happen if you make it too easy. Or else get ready for the vote kick menu to be in your face all of the time.
I still seriously doubt that a more convenient vote kicking mechanism will do more evil than good. I haven't seen such griefing or anything like it in the game: there are individual tossers, of course, but almost never in groups. This game usually does not attract that kind of public.

So it's a matter of something that will definitely do a lot of good, but it might potentially cause problems.

Plus, with brewing and smaller patches, TWI will probably be able to issue changes to votekicking and still be able to roll back if the changes fail (which I doubt).

Quote:
The last time I ran an RO2 server, the vote kick requirement was fully configurable by the server admin. Does it not work now? If it does, perhaps there should be an option to remove the clueless server admins? Or Perhaps configuring different %'s for different actions is in order. If I'm not mistaken, that is what Insurgency is having to go to from the vote kick abuse.
I suspected that this threshold may be a server setting. So, it means that the default setting should be changed.

Last edited by Grenator; 02-08-2014 at 01:55 AM.
  This is the last developer post in this thread.   #16  
Old 02-08-2014, 10:42 PM
In Soviet Russia, Yoshiro is a cake

The UI is not something easily changed. We can look into lowering the default settings for various types of kicks.

Pretty, what do we blow up first? - Myn Donos
Old 02-09-2014, 08:27 AM

Thanks for the response