• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics The Post-HoE Sharpshooter: Strategy Meetup

The bow isn't as good as m14 but it's fun to use now since it's not one shot kill anymore. Also you don't have room for lar either so the game is challenging enough.

I use xbow, handcannon, machete and maybe pipes if i have the money.
Xbow is good for all the big enemies and handcannon+9mm are good against small ones. Machete is good for saving money, it can kill all small enemies easily if you aren't overwhelmed. Even crawlers die to one hit with alt fire.

Upvote 0
While the bow could now weigh less considering it IS a T2, it's better now then it was as a 1-shot machine. Personally I think it should decap (but not kill) in 3 shots, leaving a headless pound that now takes headshot damage from any attack.

Yeah... T2 which is more expensive than T3 weapons. It should not be one-shot machine, but it surely should not suck too.

With xbow, you are not rewarded by headshotting. Other weapons beat your "so called" high damage by aiming for the body.

Upvote 0
Yeah... T2 which is more expensive than T3 weapons. It should not be one-shot machine, but it surely should not suck too.

With xbow, you are not rewarded by headshotting. Other weapons beat your "so called" high damage by aiming for the body.

I would not be against lowering the price (and selling price) of the Xbow, as well as make ammo buyable in packs instead of a single bolt cost so much. The Hunting Shotgun's ammo should be cheaper too imho, I personally find the starting ammo to be much too low and the dosh required to fill it up to a safe capacity better spent toward saving for the AA12. The Xbow is something only used on priority targets but I like to use the HS doubleshot for general crowd control in corridors. This means I typically have to scavenge for ammo boxes with either weapon.

Upvote 0
I use xbow, handcannon, machete and maybe pipes if i have the money.
.... Machete is good for saving money, it can kill all small enemies easily if you aren't overwhelmed. Even crawlers die to one hit with alt fire.
Machete isnt woth the buy, unless you want to up your berserk perk
Did you know your can recover bolts from xbow? Tip: If you jump and shoot your weak enemies with a downward angle you can recover your bolt easily and didn't spend any ammo :)
cheers

Upvote 0
So I'm trying to level up SS, and this thread seems counter to what I've been told, should I be practicing the m14 over the crossbow?

Again, it all falls down within your play style.

Once you hit Level 6, you'll be able to start seeing which playing style caters to your gameplay.

Do you want to be able to penetrate vast mobs of enemies to get that pristine headshot on a rushing Scrake?

Choose the Xbow/Deag.

Does your team lack a Commando and do you see a way you can benefit your team by killing trash mobs?

Choose the M14/LaR

Choice is yours. There are advantages and weaknesses for each weapon choice.

For long and straight stretches, I'd likely go with the Xbow. As seen in the video, you can use intermediate skills to take down some of the toughest bosses in the game.

If you're into close quarters, use the M14. M14 for the trash, and LAR for the hard targets like Husks, Sirens, and the pesky Scrakes.

Upvote 0
Just for your reference, M14 kill a 6-man HoE fleshpound with only 10 head shots. Xbow needs 4 arrows. Which of those you think you can master? You can also just stick with xbow to mainly target sirens, husks and scrakes. Or stick with M14 for trash.

The best case would be master M14, so you can take down whatever you need to.

Upvote 0
Just for your reference, M14 kill a 6-man HoE fleshpound with only 10 head shots. Xbow needs 4 arrows. Which of those you think you can master? You can also just stick with xbow to mainly target sirens, husks and scrakes. Or stick with M14 for trash.

The best case would be master M14, so you can take down whatever you need to.

Yes, but try placing 10 headshots on a raging fleshpound who just so happens to be blocked by 3 incoming gorefasts. A nearby siren whom your team likely is running from is shaking your screen so badly that you can't even see your laser or ironsight.

Oh, and add the fact that all of your armor is shredded and a single hit from the raging Fleshpound -will- insta-kill you (even at 100hp).

You only get 20 shots per M14 clip and there is no bullet penetration like with the Deagle or Xbow.

No matter how good of a shot you are, the hitboxes from other specimens in front can and likely make the shots miss when they count the most.

Again, its all in playstyle, but I would -much- rather have that guarantee that my shots will cut through everything necessary in order to reach my target.

Upvote 0
Yes, but try placing 10 headshots on a raging fleshpound who just so happens to be blocked by 3 incoming gorefasts. A nearby siren whom your team likely is running from is shaking your screen so badly that you can't even see your laser or ironsight.

Oh, and add the fact that all of your armor is shredded and a single hit from the raging Fleshpound -will- insta-kill you (even at 100hp).

You only get 20 shots per M14 clip and there is no bullet penetration like with the Deagle or Xbow.

No matter how good of a shot you are, the hitboxes from other specimens in front can and likely make the shots miss when they count the most.

Again, its all in playstyle, but I would -much- rather have that guarantee that my shots will cut through everything necessary in order to reach my target.

Although I cannot do it 100% of the time, but most of the time 10 shots isn't that hard unless the target of that fp is not me and some one accidenly rage him. In fact when he is up at your face and before he actually hits you, you can at least put 5 shots in his face. And if no one accidenly rage him, I already put two shots in order to rage him. So you only need 3 shots during his rage animation and while he is running.

And as fleshpound is much taller than other zeds, the zeds in front of him will not screw his hit box. And hell... he will clear the way for you.... Only scrakes and bloats is tall enough, however if a scrakes is in the way they will start fighting and a bloat is dead from only one shot.

But like I said... a demo in the team is 10 times better than any perks in killing fleshpounds. What I mean is M14 can kill anything IF YOU REALLY NEED TO. So if I'm using LAR + M14, I will not shoot at sirens unless I get a clear shot. If a single clot is in front of her, I let my support teamate to kill her. Because I need two shots and I cannot stun sirens like I do to husks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would not be against lowering the price (and selling price) of the Xbow, as well as make ammo buyable in packs instead of a single bolt cost so much. The Hunting Shotgun's ammo should be cheaper too imho, I personally find the starting ammo to be much too low and the dosh required to fill it up to a safe capacity better spent toward saving for the AA12. The Xbow is something only used on priority targets but I like to use the HS doubleshot for general crowd control in corridors. This means I typically have to scavenge for ammo boxes with either weapon.

It's only kind of a problem on HoE, for the first wave. You are supposed to use the 9mm and hunty together, I find this helps me make the ammo last through the wave. I pretty much almost never use the AA12 though, prefer the pump.

Upvote 0
The only strategy now for the sharpie is "Don't miss."

As it should be.

Between Smiff and Outofrealman Smiff wins by far in the argument Outofrealman doesnt know how to play sharp correctly

Now now. That's uncalled for. They both have valid points.

@Outofrealman: You just need to tone it back just a little. Not everyone is going to suddenly realize how wrong they are to be using the crossbow. That's because they aren't. Some people like the crossbow, and some people like the M14. Both can be excellent credits to team, and neither is inherently better than the other, just different.

Now let's get over the M14 VS. Xbow mindset and come back to the actual topic.

...Wait. Did that debate cover everything that needed to be said about both the Xbow/Deagles and M14/LAR loadouts in HoE? Yes, I think it did. Are we all done fighting about which is "better"? Good.

/thread

Upvote 0
Personally I would never use the xbow on Suicidal/HoE because in my experiences the M14/LAR combo out performs it in many ways. Here is a quick video I threw together, note the total lack of editing skills.

YouTube - Comparing M14/LAR vs. Xbow Post HoE

The xbow simply costs more to be less effective. The only point of the xbow that really shined was its long range, but what good is long range if it is trash when it really matters, when a fleshpound is about to crush you to a pulp right in your face?

Also note that it took less than half the time to take the fp down with the M14 compared to the xbow (with the M14 the fp had just finished its rage animation and I even missed a headshot, with the bow the fp will be charging at you when it still has half health).

With the M14 the fp was taken out without the fp moving an inch, ideal for places without a lengthy view needed to take out a fleshpound with a bow (a distance of at least a good 3 seconds of fp sprint time to cover it)

Last thing worth mentioning would be the ratio of ammo it takes to kill a fp. The massive amounts of more ammo available to the M14/LAR compared to the xbow allows the M14 SS to be more effective for longer and deal much more damage throughout the entire wave to any type of ZED without being as bound to only fleshpounds and scrakes like a xbow SS would be.

EDIT: Actually 10 M14 shots costs 7 pounds, not sure how i messed that up in the video, but it just go to show the massive price difference from the xbow

Last edited:
Upvote 0