• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] The "what are you currently playing?" thread #2

I really liked Far Cry 2, yes it was reppetitive and everyone started shooting at you the whole time. But I quite enjoyed the combat, setting and driving around. I did notice that normal difficulty was way to easy so I played on hard instead.

Exactly how I felt. I have high hopes for Far Cry 3, but I do not like the setting. Far Cry 2's setting was far more interesting to me.

As for what I am playing, RO.

Oh, and trying to get ArmA 2 Operation Arrowhead to load for the last hour... :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I bought Far Cry 2 because it was 5€ on steam.
Love it. LOVE it.

Constant first person, minimal hud, e.g. the map is an item you hold in your hand, your car doesn't have a life-bar it just smokes and burns when it's damaged, you don't have a menu to decide how long you want to sleep but you see your watch and you can set an alarm to the time... animations for things like getting in and out of cars, switching positions in cars, picking up stuff, healing yourself...
Very little stuff hat screams "YOU'RE PLAYING A GAME" at you. It's all very immersive.

Some other cool ideas too, like the rusty scavenged weapons, the spreading fire...

And the graphics and physics are amazing. If you chuck a 'nade into the jungle the blast will push back leaves and small trees and make them sway.

Guard-stations respawn too fast. I get that they have to, because as opposed to GTA or RDR you don't drive/ride to where you need to be going and the action starts there, but you're fighting your way to your destinations. Just getting there is half the mission. That said, they do respawn too fast. It's just an immersion breaker if you clear a guard post, take care of something 200m behind it, and on your way back, no more than five minutes later, the guard post is full of enemies again...
I have some other minor complaints too, but that's the big one.

Other than that the game is pretty awesome.:)
5h later you'll hate it :p

Just finished Killzone 3 SP. I'd give it 85%.

+good war feeling
+movement and weapon handling feels realistic because it has much weight to it
+more level variety than KZ2(jungle, ice, city ruins)
+great antagonists
+awesome bossfights
+vehicle levels

-the game's anti-aliasing sucks resulting in a ****load of jaggies(especcially in the city ruins levels) and weird object shimmering
-pacing isn't always the best, sometimes just too much shooting for too long periods
-no croucing while in cover, sometimes making the first person cover pretty much useless

Last edited:
Upvote 0
King of Dragon Pass. Forgive me for splooging for a minute. I decided to spoiler because I wrote a damn novel.

Spoiler!

If you like story-driven games, you absolutely have to check this out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Haha. Maybe.:)

Because it has insane input lag?:p

surprisingly, while Killzone 2 had horrible input lag (which liked actually), Kilzone 3 has no input lag, but still a weighty feel to the guns. i too think it's a very good FPS, especially since i dig the whole concept of Sci-fi with bullet weapons rather than ray guns.

And i do like Far Cry 2, and I think it has gotten more flak than it deserves. But then, i can only play it in short bursts... but to me, it's definately better than Bioshock or Fallout 3. I know they're not exactly in the same genre, but I just can't find it in my to enjoy those two games.

Upvote 0
surprisingly, while Killzone 2 had horrible input lag (which liked actually), Kilzone 3 has no input lag, but still a weighty feel to the guns. i too think it's a very good FPS, especially since i dig the whole concept of Sci-fi with bullet weapons rather than ray guns.

Killzone 3 definitely was much more responsive while retaining it's trademark "heavy" controls. Killzone 2 gave me headaches because of it's input lag but KZ3 was spot on.

I really enjoyed Killzone 3, it's still the best FPS I've played on PS3. The shooting and fighting is the most intense I've seen in an FPS game and it's all because of the superb weapon handling and incredible AI. That's a lot of superlatives but that's how I feel about this game, I really enjoyed it.

For me the downside was the really dumbed down story. Killzone 2 had a much more serious and gritty theme, this time they've dumbed it down to really childish levels.

Also I still listen to it's soundtrack sometimes, Joris De Man delivered massively again:

Killzone 3 Soundtrack - Theme - YouTube

Upvote 0
Tired the Combat Mission Battle for Normandy demo. The game is rather good, but it runs really bad for me. Even if I lower the settings I am still getting around 8 frame rates. :p

Impossible for me to learn/play. But it does seem like a nice game.

Turn off shadows (alt+W I think).

Also, performance has been greatly improved with the first patch, especially if there's wind on the map.
We can play a multiplayer match too if you want to. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Turn off shadows (alt+W I think).

Also, performance has been greatly improved with the first patch, especially if there's wind on the map.
We can play a multiplayer match too if you want to. :)

I just have the demo. I didn't check for any patches.

I'll try turning everything to the lowest to see if it works better. As of now I can make my units move, shoot, and some other basic things. Definitely not ready for an MP game. :p

Upvote 0