• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Battlefield 3

So... in new Battlefield enemy sniper needs like 30 bullets to successfully engage player's fireteam? So lame...everything is fully scripted in SP.

btw: I recently rode a preview from one of a local games magazines and they say something like that: "BF3 is going to be proper PC game because there will be prone, dedicated servers and 64 players MP support". How about mod tools, dedicated server files available to download, competitive support and other basic PC features?

Other quote goes: "There is only one PC FPS game this year and it's Battlefield 3. Next CoD is not a competition anymore". Hello? The funny thing is, two monts ago they wrote preview about RO2 and there they said it's one of the most interesting PC games of this year... What's more, BF3 article has 5-6 pages, when RO2 only 1...but well, from other hand that magazines used to write crappy articles and company which pays more gets better review.

Upvote 0
Look,
You've to give them cred for doing a proper sp, prior they only had mindless bots running around in SP aka how it was in 1942, bf2. Fact is that scripted events and moments add to the immersion, something you can't capture in the same way with unscripted gameplay.

It will still have its regular open multiplayer , i'd even prefer if the RO2 sp went down this road but obviously with a lot more realistic scripting. I really have a hard time enjoying mindless bot wars in SP, but everyone have a different taste. The mp on the other hand should be open.

Nevertheless my games of the year is definantly RO2, IL2 nothing else even comes close on the PC, finally a good year :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Look,
You've to give them cred for doing a proper sp, prior they only had mindless bots running around in SP aka how it was in 1942, bf2. Fact is that scripted events and moments add to the immersion, something you can't capture in the same way with unscripted gameplay.

It will still have its regular open multiplayer , i'd even prefer if the RO2 sp went down this road but obviously with a lot more realistic scripting. I really have a hard time enjoying mindless bot wars in SP, but everyone have a different taste. The mp on the other hand should be open.

Nevertheless my games of the year is definantly RO2, IL2 nothing else even comes close on the PC, finally a good year :p

It's not really scripting we're against, I love some good scripted events.
It's just that the sniper is not really nice scripted.
Maybe if he was at 500 meters I could get it, but really at 50 meters it's rubbish.

Upvote 0
as an arma fan.

That #2 AI man on the MG was watching rear... wth?

As a gamer... yeah its that kind of contrived cheesy event that ends with half a building falling down from one small rocket that I find funny when in cheesy 80's shows, but annoying as heck in video games.

( And yes that did happen in an 80's show called sledge hammer, sniper on a roof plinking bullets so the cop pulls out a law and blows up the whole building with ONE shot thus getting rid of the sniper..)

Reactions: Amerikaner
Upvote 0
As a gamer... yeah its that kind of contrived cheesy event that ends with half a building falling down from one small rocket that I find funny when in cheesy 80's shows, but annoying as heck in video games.

( And yes that did happen in an 80's show called sledge hammer, sniper on a roof plinking bullets so the cop pulls out a law and blows up the whole building with ONE shot thus getting rid of the sniper..)

Yeah, the buildings just blows up from a rocket.

If you guys saw that old wikileaks video when the choppers fired some missiles inside a building, even a heli rocket doesnt do the visual damage these BF rockets do. But its the cinematics that sells.

Reactions: Amerikaner
Upvote 0
Yeah, the buildings just blows up from a rocket.

If you guys saw that old wikileaks video when the choppers fired some missiles inside a building, even a heli rocket doesnt do the visual damage these BF rockets do. But its the cinematics that sells.

Even most bombs only take out a wall max (Most of the time only windows).
Think they never saw those demo shows on discovery, amount of explosives needed is a little bit higher:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
LOL even from a loosely judgmental standpoint, that scripted scene is REALLY LAME. Not only does the sniper miss a billion times, in the last minute or so of the video, you see one of your AI squad mates happily popping his head up above cover for a full 20 seconds or so and the sniper seems content with firing at your other crawling teammates -- just shoot the moron over here dude!

And then of course the entire building exploding from one rocket is beyond silly, but at the very least that LOOKS COOL. The previous part with the sniper was just painfully lame lol ...

Upvote 0
I think some of you guys are being too critical. Just hating to hate.

------------------

What I found interesting in this video was suppression effects when getting shot at by the sniper. I always wanted RO/mods playstyle in a BF environment. I wonder if this game will truly incorporate suppressive fire tactics like Brother in Arms. Or if this suppression effect is only in singleplayer like dragging wounded teammates.

However dragging teammates would be totally pointless in current style of gameplay for BF medics in multiplayer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't know why you'd go on a rooftop to escape a sniper, especially in an environment with buildings that are on higher level than the building you're on. Other than that, the gameplay looks pretty average. I don't like the slow motion that occurs at the end, but maybe it's for presentation purposes. The Battlefield series isn't the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of singleplayer, so I'm mostly looking forward to how the multiplayer plays.

Upvote 0
Here is a detailed breakdown from actual gamers with military background :p

http://www.offdutygamers.com/2011/03/breakdown-bf3-fault-line-ep-2/

Games are games, they don't need to be 100% correct or accurate to true nature. Unless that's their objective. BF has always been about semi-realism and wacky things. They have never once said their goal was to create accurate and true to nature environmental damage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nimsky
Upvote 0

[url]http://www.offdutygamers.com/2011/03/breakdown-bf3-fault-line-ep-2/[/URL]

Games are games, they don't need to be 100% correct or accurate to true nature. Unless that's their objective. BF has always been about semi-realism and wacky things. They have never once said their goal was to create accurate and true to nature environmental damage.
But you must remember, it isn't ArmA2, therefore it has to be condemned and burn in hell.

I really can't see how people can be expecting anything realistic from a BF SP experience. They want to offer a cinematic experience with an arc of suspense and nothing else. I agree that the sniper not hitting anything even with teammembers having their heads wide up out in the open seemed kind of silly. But most of the other complaints(like the MG teammate watching the rear - I mean seriously, if that's your problem, stick to ArmA2) are simply out of place here.

Upvote 0

[url]http://www.offdutygamers.com/2011/03/breakdown-bf3-fault-line-ep-2/[/URL]

I wasn't judging the video based on whether it was realistic or not, but rather whether it was a quality scripted sequence. Truly impressive scripted sequences are often powerful because they are believeable or shocking in someway. This scripted sequence didn't feel climactic or terribly exciting ... a sniper that fires in perfectly timed intervals and somehow misses people that are totally exposed just doesn't create the excitement needed for a quality scripted event.

For instance, the scripted sniper scene in CoD4: MW was unbelievably awesome because, even though the sneaking you did in that mission was pretty damn silly, it was done in such a high quality way that you forgot about the realism and just went along with it. But it has to grab the player and make them believe that something awesome is happening.

Upvote 0