• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Total Biscuit on Unlocks.

And here I thought that playing a hard-fought battle was where we got our fun and sense of accomplishment from!

I don't feel rewarded when I get an unlock in any game. It feels incidental, almost tacked on. But when both sides are down to 10 tickets and we somehow manage to cap and win, that's a real good feeling. No unlock can give me that feeling of pride.

I totally agree with this gentleman.
:IS2:

Upvote 0
After getting a taste of teams with near full hero unlocks when there was the stats bug I can say I hate them.

They really just make the game feel cheap and inauthentic. Even worse then the MKB horde was when I saw 3 Russians running out of spawn all with saddle drum Mg34's. I'm happy you can force level 1 now but that small glimpse into the future of pubbing in RO2 was almost offensive.

The unlocks are actually worse then Bf3's though because some detract from play experience or feel completely arbitrary. Because you cant take them off once you've earned them the MKB's misaligned scope makes the gun sights just awful. Nobody would play test that and tell TW they did a good job so I'm assuming it was rushed in. The same dinky scope is on the G41 and you need grind 2k kills to be able to actually snipe but the weapons sights make it better put to use hipfiring.

Upvote 0
RO:CA/O (no unlocks) -> Played for years (like so many others).
RO2 (unlocks) -> Played only for 2 weeks (...like so many others).

Genuine fun > grind.

OK, I don't have any weapons unlocked (well ok, I have a pre-order bayonet that I never use..).. I have plenty of fun without paying attention to the unlocks at all? How does the simple presence of Unlocks prevent someone from enjoying a title?
Wait.. sure some guy that is grindtastic or pre-ordered DD has an Mkb.. big deal.. if only there were other types of cool weapons that were limited.. like a role slot.. for a machinegun or PPsh! ... there is.. so I just pretty much ignore it.
Besides, if I pop him first he's still dead (then I can maybe pickup his Mkb)..

Reactions: SCandChives
Upvote 0
OK, I don't have any weapons unlocked (well ok, I have a pre-order bayonet that I never use..).. I have plenty of fun without paying attention to the unlocks at all? How does the simple presence of Unlocks prevent someone from enjoying a title?
Wait.. sure some guy that is grindtastic or pre-ordered DD has an Mkb.. big deal.. if only there were other types of cool weapons that were limited.. like a role slot.. for a machinegun or PPsh! ... there is.. so I just pretty much ignore it.

It's always going to bother you while you play (and if it doesn't I really admire you) cause you actually get better weapons (drum mug, double drum mag for mg34, bayonets) and better aiming, moving, sprinting statistics. If it was just eye candy or "badge" unlock it would have been fine, but actually having an advantage because "you played more than me" just brings down the skill factor. Of course it doesn't kill it, cause a newb will be a newb even with all the unlocks, but when comparing two equally skilled players of course makes a difference. And you can't just ignore it if you want a fair match.

Upvote 0

Genuine fun > grind.

This is exactly the way I feel about RO2. The game just can't hook me

pAZDv.png

:'(

It not only the unluck thingy. The overall feeling of the game is not right for me. Maybe I'll like it when the new mods arrive

Last edited:
Upvote 0
it's about purpose not about reward. What is my "purpose" for playing? You'll say "to have fun and be competitive is my purpose". But that's actually too vague, Why does a man date a women? to feel pleasure? to feel love? to be happy? To possess, to feel, to go out, to get married, to have kids.

Humans are materialistic, or at least a large part of us is, the desire for emotion can not be the only thing that drives you. You need goals, you need tangible goods.

it's just the nature of humanity and to say we should be satisfied with conscious attainments is more of a religious belief than a practical one.

You guys arguing against unlocks are actually very Buddist. That's the wonderful thing about capitalism, your beliefs are religious in nature and you seek to force them on the masses, but in a capitalist society, what people want supersedes what you think they should believe or feel.

Upvote 0

Genuine fun > grind.

Funny though - RO2 has more players now than RO1 had years ago.

And it's genuine fun for thousands of people - RO1 isn't that played. If it was that good, don't you think there would be more players playing still?

And there's no requirement to grind anything else than the PPSH-mag imo. Which was a stupid decision, it should've been standard.

Reactions: Pepto and Fedorov
Upvote 0

And it's genuine fun for thousands of people - RO1 isn't that played. If it was that good, don't you think there would be more players playing still?

And there's no requirement to grind anything else than the PPSH-mag imo. Which was a stupid decision, it should've been standard.

RO:O a year after release had more players than RO2 has now. Even more when Darkest Hour was released.

Upvote 0
I don't care about unlocks. I don't play to get achievements, or stats, or unlocks. If a game doesn't have them, I don't care. If a game does have them, I don't care. The only time they bug me is when it unbalances the game. Some weapon unlocks are going to do that. Some stat increases are going to do that.

I didn't play a lot of RO1, but I liked the "Here's what you get. Do your best." mentality of it.

Upvote 0

RO2 only has more players than RO1 because of the advertisement campaign. I think not even a hundred people bought the game because it had unlocks, arcadish role distribution and fantasy weapons. 99,99% of the people that bought RO2 would have bought it if it didn't have unlocks.

Reactions: Nylle
Upvote 0
This is exactly the way I feel about RO2. The game just can't hook me

pAZDv.png

:'(

I beat you 14h since release :cool:, I played the beta more than the released game haha

Anyway I agree with the unlock rant, it is just dumb and it is badly implemented in HoS. You should never get better stats because you played more than someone else.
That is just ridiculous.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How about keeping unlocks and getting rid of the stats improvement? I think we can all agree on that, can't we?

I think that's a good point. I think stat improvements are the real problem. You have weapons behaving differently over time, which is not good for your own experience with the weapons, and also not good when facing an enemy.
Also, I imagine stat improvements make it difficult to tweak weapons with patches should that prove necessary. Because, what is the baseline with regards to 'balance': level 0 , 20 , 50,..?

Unlocks on the other hand, well I can live with them.

Upvote 0
You guys arguing against unlocks are actually very Buddist. That's the wonderful thing about capitalism, your beliefs are religious in nature and you seek to force them on the masses, but in a capitalist society, what people want supersedes what you think they should believe or feel.

what.jpg

Also, I agree with removing soldier unlocks only, if we can't remove all unlocks entirely and just give everyone level 25 weapons.

Last edited:
Reactions: Somewhat Vague
Upvote 0
Unlocks are good.

It gives more meaning to multiplayer.

If you play single player get more of a sense of accomplishment when you defeat the game.

With Multiplayer there is no sense of accomplishment becasue you cant finish the multi player game..there is no point in it where you can say you have beaten the game.

Atleast with un-locks it gives you some level of accomplishment.

I can see where in certain situations it can be ****ty...but generally it is good.

Multiplayer you get a sense of accomplishment from killing ****tards, your team winning the round and you getting top score. I have never needed unlocks to give me a sense of accomplishment. They have only served as a sense of annoyance cause now like any MMORPG I HAVE TO GRIND for my ****. I HATE grinding for ****.

Upvote 0
I think an unlock/rank-up system is good, but it really depends on how it is all pulled off. I feel that Killing Floor did it well, but RO2... no, not really. KF has been about having fun and playing to win - not competitive winning - with a bit of individuality with your perk levels which enable you to reliably take on a greater challenge to have more fun. RO has always been about playing to win and have fun, but now it's just a matter of getting the cooler gun, sod the match you're playing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Genuine fun > grind.

This is so true, I expected RO to break the unlock trend and continue doing their thing. Just imagine all weapons being available at the start, buying a game and instantly being available to enjoy it to the fullest! No need to think "oh its going to take a week to get that weapon" just instant happiness how wonderful!
If you think that's unfair then let me tell you what, without leveling and unlocking everyone is playing on the same level and have the same options, it worked absolutely wonderful in RO:CA/OST.
(If you want to restrict a weapon, then making it necessary to unlock that weapon is the worst way of doing so.)

And if you want there to be challenge leveling up then maybe you should consider playing another game when you feel like grinding, unlocking and "collecting" gear, like WoW, CoD, Fallout 3, World of Tanks or BF3.

All games does not need to have the unlock/level-up feature because players sometimes just want genuine fun!
Genuine fun > grind.

Upvote 0