• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

destructable cover?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xIRiShxBLeNdx

Feb 3, 2010
in RO:HoS i think it would be neat if they implamented a destructable cover system like in Brothers in Arms. i know that the game already has a bullet penatration system but it would also change the gameplay in deciding where you would have to take cover. if youu have an opinion, reply :D

That's a tall order :). I think if they were going to implement this, then they would have already done it. However I'm with you part of the way. If they put in any destructibility, then I'm hoping that tanks won't get so utterly owned by fences. It's time to teach those fences a lesson!

Maybe Tripwire could give the vets destructible fences for realism mode, and mega RO:Ost fences for relaxed realism mode. Not to be mean, of course! It'd be like bumper rails for kiddies (we don't want noobs to stray too far from the battle!) :D

Upvote 0
It would be nice but I dont think it should be ridiculously overboard like Red Faction or Bad Company. Its not all the time that you'll have guys blowing through walls and half the map. I haven't played Hell's Highway so I cant comment on how far their destruction goes

That said with the tanks I think they should do some serious damage at times. I think it would be nice to see tanks with dents from reflected shells

Upvote 0
i agree. indeed i prefer high quality physics than high quality graphics.....is more important to see low-detailed tree beaten by the passage of a tank, than an incredible realistic tree that is indestructible (and this applied to all objects and buildings)

Well "physics" in Bad Company 2 is script based only. There is 0 physics. Simple algorytm, if HP of wall = 0 then wall changed into hole. Same with buildings. Its works same as destruction in RO but on massive scale.

Unreal 3 engine has possibility to use advanced physics ingame but it cost performance.

YouTube - Unreal Engine 3 physics - part 1 - 720 rigid bodies

YouTube - Unreal Engine 3 physics - part 2 - 2880 rigid bodies

YouTube - Unreal Engine 3 physics - part 4 - physX

Its real-time calculated physics, no script.

But imho if we could see in RO2 that what we can see in BC2 it would be awesome.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
the issue with big physx effects is that you require hardware physx which is only possible on nvidia videocards. Nvidia locked out the ability to even legally use a second nvidia videocard next to an ati videocard. That if the game would implement full hardware physx that all the ati graphics users couldnt play the game.

However in the other way perhaps it is possible to do the destructions of smesh swapping like the walls in stalingradkessel at nearly every wall now. In that case that brings you pretty close to full destruction if you can atleast blow holes and make pathways everywhere.

Hardware physX users could then perhaps see better effects or whatever.

Upvote 0
the issue with big physx effects is that you require hardware physx which is only possible on nvidia videocards. Nvidia locked out the ability to even legally use a second nvidia videocard next to an ati videocard. That if the game would implement full hardware physx that all the ati graphics users couldnt play the game.

However in the other way perhaps it is possible to do the destructions of smesh swapping like the walls in stalingradkessel at nearly every wall now. In that case that brings you pretty close to full destruction if you can atleast blow holes and make pathways everywhere.

Hardware physX users could then perhaps see better effects or whatever.

You do realize that dedicated physics cards have been available since long before the introduction of on-board GPU physics acceleration, right?

Upvote 0
It would be nice for small things (chipping away at fences, chairs, ect.). Would make resting your weapons a bit more interesting.

I love the destructable level in Bad Company 2. It works great when you dont have run around building to get inside but u can just blow up a wall and get there. Also tank rides into building might be great.

Please, let RO be RO, and not a BF or Red Faction clone. In real life, you don't blow a hole through a wall and then just run inside a house when you want to clear or capture it.

Upvote 0
You do realize that dedicated physics cards have been available since long before the introduction of on-board GPU physics acceleration, right?

Yes, and they a) are out of production b) were expensive c) performed like crap actually, an 8800 is faster as a PPU doing GFX & Physx than the stand alone card was doing just Physx. :)

Upvote 0
Please, let RO be RO, and not a BF or Red Faction clone.
In real life, you don't blow a hole through a wall and then just run inside a house when you want to clear or capture it.

Do you really think RO would stay more realistic if you cant shoot holes in a wall? :rolleyes:

OF COURSE RO2 should NOT turn into a BF clone. But its the gameplay that makes a game, NOT the features! :p

And of course you dont blow a hole in the wall for a capture, BUT a tank will certainly shoot through a wall
into a house to kill enemy soldiers inside
- or do you disagree on this argument?!? :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Destructable cover would be amazing as long as it was implemented without overdoing it. Wooden structures and whatnot should be fairly easy to destroy, but stone walls and whatnot might take a dedicated effort to blow. This would really help improve the effect of artillery, as bunkers and whatnot would take damage.

Really though, if RO can get maybe 30% of the destructability that's in a game like Faces of War/Men of War, I'd be tickled pink. Check this out:

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxLaf0VWZ7k]YouTube - Faces of War Don't Stop[/URL]

Yeah I know it's an RTS on a totally different engine, but it still looks cool, heh.

Upvote 0
Please, let RO be RO, and not a BF or Red Faction clone. In real life, you don't blow a hole through a wall and then just run inside a house when you want to clear or capture it.

In WWII sappers blew up bunkers, fortifications and other obstacles.
In WWII tanks drove over fences, walls and other obstacles
In Real World explosions destroy objectives like walls, bunkers etc

whats the problem? Actually BC2 "physics" thini is great move forward for FPS gameplay. The shame is that game is total arcadish...

Upvote 0

And you know they are no longer supported and no longer work with the latest drivers, aka if ROHOS would support physX version and would use the PhysX version used in Batman Arkham asylum or later that it would not be supported at all. Beside that they would all be too slow as well. Next to that even hardware dedicated physX cards would be locked out on ATI systems.

There are hacked drivers out there, to make those old dedicated ppu cards work and nvidia physx cards work on ati machines ( i actually run a 8800gt for physx on my 5950). This means that all ATI users that do not have a left over 8xxx+ series (with 256mb or more) Nvidia card running their system in combination with hacked drivers could not run the game. Which is the majority of the ATI videocard users.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.