• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Enemy At The Gates

I LOVE "Stalingrad" (1993) but let's face it, there are some cheese parts in that, too. It's a little heavy-handed in terms of making sure we feel what we're supposed to feel. Still, great at recreating the atmosphere and horror of Stalingrad and the battle scenes seem about as realistic as they could get.

"Enemy at the Gates" was a huge disappointment but hey, I admit, I own that one, too.. and I do watch it from time to time. Just the scenes of Stalingrad itself are interesting to me.

I keep waiting for the perfect Eastern front movie.. maybe someday.

Upvote 0
Did anyone see "Der Untergang" (the Downfall) and notice that several of the actors from Stalingrad are in that, as well? Specifically, the actor who played Witzland in Stalingrad is Fegelein in Der Untergang. Their commander is in it as well, and I think I recongized several others.

I thought that movie was pretty brilliant as well.

Upvote 0
Aww cmon guys. I didn't want this thread to turn into a debate about if the movie was good or not.

Sorry for not being a huge history buff... I just thought I was watching an entertaining war movie that closely resembled that of a game I am currently playing. I don't spend hours scouring the internet for facts on russians, stalingrad, and nazi germany. My bad.

I had a unique moment in the game...one that closely mimicked what I saw in the movie. I thought I'd share. That's all.

I will also add that despite my problems with the movie, and there are several, the lead cast wasn't one of them. I thought they did a bang up job. I actually liked Jude law in the role, and Ed Harris was solid as well. I'd rather watch native Russians and Germans play those parts but let's face it, it came out of Hollywood. Rachel weiz, Ralph Fiennes... Not too shabby. They were convincing enough.

Upvote 0
War movies are always generally unrealistic. Watch a documentary instead.

And that lad Law: I can't be the only one thinking the boy is a plonker. Pfft.

A lot of the modern ones try pretty damn hard to be authentic. Saving Private Ryan gets a little silly plot wise, but the battle scenes are suitably brutal. Black Hawk Down is brilliant, as is We Were Soldiers. Band of Brothers is the pinnacle of war filmmaking period, whilst The Pacific isn't as consistently good, but occasionally can match or better BoB.

Upvote 0
glad i read this thread, il be defo checkin out a couple of the movies posted.

and yeah, enemy at the gates sucked.:)

Cool ;) I was planning to play RO2 all night but now I've decided I might squeeze "Stalingrad" in there somewhere.

"Der Untergang" is available on Youtube in its entirety, if you haven't seen it yet. Not the highest definition though (I just checked). Of course its the movie with the notorious Hitler scene that has become a meme (roll eyes) but the movie itself is pretty intense, no history buff should miss it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
there are other nice movies too:

for example: [url]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108211/[/URL]

+1 . That's a real movie.

Enemy at the gates is one of the worst movies I've seen. That's usually the only film about the soviet front people have seen, and their impressions of the battle get twisted. The movie is basically an anti-Soviet propaganda movie full of straw men and intended fallacies.

I'll watch that Brest movie, the Belarussians hopefully still know how to make movies and not pop-crap like the neo-Russians.

There are many good soviet ww2-movies but I don't remember their names.

Upvote 0