• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Slow is not necessarily realistic!

Cope...

Because you say so...

Wow, there's some heavy analysis; was that a physics lesson you learned at University?

Anyone or everyone? 'Lots of stuff'? Does 'Lots of stuff' include scarcely eating for over three months, wearing over 60 lbs of wet wool and canvas, 40 lbs of gear, in incliment weather, and enough disease, injury and sickness to put you in a contemporary hospital's intensive care ward?

Oh, really, 'speedy'? Would you give us a demonstration with 'lots of stuff'?

No. 'Some People' don't want Red Orchestra to cater to the forty wat, technically, historically and literally illiterate part of the COD FanBase that wants Red Orchestra to be another (among thousands) of clones of COD. 'Some People' understand and can use mathematics, and apply it to a concept called 'scale'... But I don't want to bore you with trivial concepts like 'facts', 'measurement', 'scale' or 'meaning'...

But, buck-up Pudding it looks like you'll get your wish, so cheer up and have a happy play-day...

:rolleyes:

Probably been said before but in combat it's not like soldiers were often lugging around 100lbs of gear. Often it was little more than their weapons and a canteen.

Reactions: Wulffrik
Upvote 0
i prefer games that are a challenge.

Isn't it possible that the challenge will arrive when more people start to engage the enemy with tactics and teamwork?

Also with the new update coming out shortly, the Realism mode should be working correctly.

It doesn't matter if its COD or ArmA 2 (example), if your opponents use cover, tactics, and strategy a challenge will present itself.

Upvote 0
Fine. Next time you sprint across "Freedom Square" (or whatever it is called) in Fallen Fighters, consider whether you REALLY think you could cover that ground that fast. Really. And then, consider whether you could do it in circumstances anywhere close to what those guys were dealing with. Weapons, *some* gear, trenchcoats, freezing cold. Adrenaline is good for that but you couldn't do it over and over again in one battle. But I'm sure you'll say "yes, I could do" - or the well-trained soldier could do it -- and in the end, it's really not much use arguing about it.

Again, for my part I didn't say RO1 was correct, either. I think accuracy is somewhere between RO1 and RO2. Keep in mind, we have vehicles that need to keep things in scale - if a t-34 can top out around 30 mph or so, the infantry, even at full speed - need to be considerably slower than a tank at full speed. We'll probably see more of that with some new maps, and like I said, they've probably got it close. I'm getting more used to it, but it doesn't look or feel exactly natural.

By the way, the "old RO vets" pretty much kept this franchise (I think we can call it that now) relevant for the last 4 years or so, and kind of made up the core fan base.. so you don't have to cater to them, but don't disregard them, either..

Agree with this post pretty much totally. That last part especially. I hope the devs don't forget those of us who have stuck with them since the very beginning of the mod days. We then bought RO:OST when it went retail and kept the game going to the point they can make RO2.

We are the ones who voted again and again during the Make Something Unreal competition that won them the engine they are now using. We may be "realism nuts" or whatever you want to call us but we deserve to be heard and our opinions respected. I have read plenty of posts from players who admit never even playing RO1 saying we should like it the way it is because as it is, it fits their idea of a WW2 because every other is nothing like RO1. RO1 was a niche game to be sure in a sea of arcade run and gun shooters. There are plenty of games like CoD but very few like Red Orchestra and I for one, hope it veers towards realism a lot more than it does in the beta or at least cater for the RO1 style of game play we crave as well.

It would be a real shame if RO2 ended up being another clich

Reactions: Hells High
Upvote 0
Cope...

Because you say so...

Wow, there's some heavy analysis; was that a physics lesson you learned at University?

Anyone or everyone? 'Lots of stuff'? Does 'Lots of stuff' include scarcely eating for over three months, wearing over 60 lbs of wet wool and canvas, 40 lbs of gear, in incliment weather, and enough disease, injury and sickness to put you in a contemporary hospital's intensive care ward?

Oh, really, 'speedy'? Would you give us a demonstration with 'lots of stuff'?

No. 'Some People' don't want Red Orchestra to cater to the forty wat, technically, historically and literally illiterate part of the COD FanBase that wants Red Orchestra to be another (among thousands) of clones of COD. 'Some People' understand and can use mathematics, and apply it to a concept called 'scale'... But I don't want to bore you with trivial concepts like 'facts', 'measurement', 'scale' or 'meaning'...

But, buck-up Pudding it looks like you'll get your wish, so cheer up and have a happy play-day...

:rolleyes:
Hooray for arogant people who think they're always right! It's no wonder you pride yourselves on trivial concepts like, "being an a**", and "Trying to seem more superior to someone by belittling there ideas."
Those type people are just as generic as COD itself.

Good day to you sir!

Upvote 0
Replies in bold.

It sounds to me like you want to go play a simulator or join an actual army as last time i checked RO2 doesn't track most of the things you listed as it is a Video Game.

Video games can be realistic. Features such as realism movement are great and make a game far more fun. The problem is that the average gamer prefer junk style games like BF and CoD.

I for one am glad they increased the speed of the game in general, i don't even want to remember the times i traveled across one of the larger maps only to get killed because my character cant run for more than 20 feet, or how slowly the bolt action rifles reloaded.

You could sprint for well over 200 feet in game, not 20. Considering how you got frustrated by getting killed, it is apparent that you where just an awful player. ;)

Sliding the rounds off the clip did take long, but in RO2 the retrieving and especially stowing of partially used mags is far too quick.

I consider myself a 'Hardcore Realism' player ( simulation wargamer & ex-reenactor ) and my fears have come true regarding RO2 after hearing many of the Beta Testers ( which I figured would be the case anyways ).

- Movement speed might be alittle to fast ( RO1 did a nice job, except it was to quick running over rough or intervening obstacles, which is about half the time ) especially if coupled with a longer stamina time.
- Firing is far to accurate ( less weapon sway+more stamina+zoom ). It concerns me when a beta tester is able to hit 5 out of 5 times with his bolt-action instead of the ecceptable 0-1 out of 5...Keep in mind, several thousand rounds of ammo were expended per casualty in WWII.
- Special Equipment: air-recon, special weapons, heavy arty, level-ups, etc-etc...snore.
- Actually, the point in a game is 'Not to Die' ( that is how you become a Vet IRL ), rather then die constantly & keep respawning. It just concerns me when TWI thinks 5 minutes is a long time in a battle, when in fact 5 minutes is just the developing stages in a fire-fight.
- All the above gives us an overall idea what direction TWI wants this game is go in.

I dont know how much of the above can be modded and which servers will be playable for the 'Harcore Realism' community, but this equates to an unrealistic COD-MOH type of game play.
So, for the all Newbs and Arcade type players, this is the game for you, for the rest...God Help Us All.

Agreed.

I still bought the game but I doubt I will play it nearly as much as Ost.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Human wave tactics. How do you think the Russians beat back the Nazis? Bodies, and lots of them. Soldiers literally running at the enemy without a weapon.

Compared to many other wars, I'd say WWII in itself was based upon speed - and I'm not talking about Blitzkrieg. I'd say Apartments plays as expected, Fallen Fighters much the same - if we are talking game pacing.

The only issue with movement speed is stairs and hills - which cmon, in a video game that really isn't worth the time or effort. Perhaps you run a smidge fast and a smidge to long, but when you factor in the adrenaline from getting shot at, chances are you have long forgotten you are freezing.

I wonder why nobody wanted to acknowledge your post here sir. o:

Upvote 0
Running speed is awesome. The infantry movement in Red Orchestra 2 feels so fluid and realistic. I get the feeling that a lot of people in here complain about the fast running speed being "unrealistic" because they just might be among that regular visitors to McDonald's population Scarf Ace is referring to.

Movement in Red Orchestra 2 feels like frantic, adrenaline-fueled movement in real life. Ergo, it feels realistic. I know personally I sure as hell can get the speed up when I'm being shot at with a pellet gun... if it was actually life-threatening I could probably run even faster, even longer. And in Red Orchestra 2, after running until exhaustion, you actually move much slower and clunkier than you did before wearing yourself out ("I just need to catch my breath for a second...") so really I think the complaints are a bit ungrounded.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm sick of people saying RO2 is too fast paced with movement and stuff.
RO1 very clearly took slowness too far. RO1 characters run like regular visitors at the local McDonalds. Anyone who has ever had to run to catch a train (when carrying lots of stuff) knows exactly that the distances you can sprint in RO2 are far from unrealistic.
The same thing goes for speed. Contrary to what the over-the-top "realism" people think, running is actually quite a speedy method of locomotion!

It seems that some people think slow is realistic, when it simply isn't. Slow is just slow. RO2's run speed (when not going up stairs at least :p) is perfectly fine, and so is the stamina.

Indeed you are right Sir.

Upvote 0
Please people, remember that in the beta EVERYBODY IS AT HERO LEVEL.
It means : no fear, no fatique, nothing.

We should wait to see at basic level. ( Which will be all we havze at release except 2 persons per server )

would like to see where you got that information from afaik it looks like we are all level 7 with nothing indicating we are playing on hero stats at all

Upvote 0
I stopped reading posts about halfway into this thread because frankly, people are morons, stupid, don't understand that others just MAY see things differently than them, and are generally numbnuts.

Now, that being said, my greatest HOPE for this game is that it is NOT any other fast-paced, buy me anywhere, run-around-like-living-doesn't-matter game. Hell, they are literally put out several times a week in all different genres. And I AM NOT a RO1 crazy (though I have mucho respect for all you that played this game for years). Although I owned RO1 the DAY it released, I played six (6!) hours of it until about a month ago. I didn't like it. It was a bit too much for me. Granted, I did not give it much chance then either --- as I have come to love it in the past month.

But I'll tell you what I AM!! I am a seven year veteran of all things COD. And, what the developers of that game did with that series over the past (especially) three years is a damn shame. Yes, this is my opinion and nobody else has to agree. But, I think that series is dead and gone to dang near anyone that enjoys anything remotely like an immersive, semi-realistic, gaming experience. Lots of reasons why, but frankly, the series sucks for anything resembling realism.

My hope for RO2 is that it gives us a platform for that immersive, realistic experience. And it will. Whether some of you want to recognize it or not, camping IS a relevant tactic. It may not be everyone's style but it is realistic. I want a game for my clan that encourages teamwork, camaraderie, communication, and some semblance of tactical movement and play ABOVE ALL ELSE! This game will have it. I am also certain that there will be plenty of servers out there that will ENCOURAGE mad running around with guns-a-blazing! For those of you that like that? Go find them and have a ball. If you like it slow-paced? Come look us up (or any of dozens/hundreds of other servers that will be set up for that). Want something in-between? I'll bet there will be tons of them too.

In short, stop knocking other's style and favorite kind of play. The good folks at TWI are doing ONE MORE THING that other developers have told us (the end-users) to "F*** off" about --- they are releasing mod tools. So, mod the game to be exactly what you want and set up your server! Have fun! My modder is already in place and he just awaits the ability to mod some fun extras into the game that our community wants. Frankly, I can't wait.

Happy fragging --- regardless of if you like it fast or slow! :)

Upvote 0
To whoever wants to prove a thing here in this thread i give the simple solution:

- Cross the Fallen Fighters Square as fast as you can, its about 200m from side to side, calculate the time it takes and post here.

- Even better, take 1 friend to sprint and when his sprint ends you kill him and we see how many meters you can run with 1 sprint. Take the time too so we can calculate how many meters/second he runs.

I will be waiting the results, thanks.

Upvote 0