• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The katana and AK feedback and questions thread.

The first thing I did last night was play my lev 5 Commando to test out the AK. I found myself preferring the Bullpup as my primary weapon, and using the AK as my secondary weapon. I think that the AK will be nice for those Commando's that haven't reached level 5, but as for me, I have no regrets levelling my Commando to lev 5 before the AK patch. I still prefer my Sharpie over the Commando, and for alot of fun, I prefer my Zerker with a katana...:D

Upvote 0
a note to everyone talking about ballance here, KF is meant to be played in suicidal, which is why a group of six people with level 5 perks on beginner clean house. many things seem overpowered untill used in suicidal, where even the clots can actually hurt you. take that into mind as you suggest nerfs or overpoweredness...;)

Upvote 0
a note to everyone talking about ballance here, KF is meant to be played in suicidal, which is why a group of six people with level 5 perks on beginner clean house. many things seem overpowered untill used in suicidal, where even the clots can actually hurt you. take that into mind as you suggest nerfs or overpoweredness...;)

IMO, Hard is where it's at, but many would even say 'Normal' (It IS the default setting anyway, BTW!) is the way to play. Suicidal, to me, isn't much fun. The obscenely strong enemies, punishingly long waves, and sheer fact that YOU AREN'T MEANT TO WIN quickly make it feel less like overcoming a challenge and more like wasting time. That's just me.

The Katana might not be overpowered on Suicidal, and on Beginner even the 9mm is overpowered. But on Normal and Hard, I still say it's overpowered. Despite what I say here, I love that weapon. It's my new Berserker Companion. But some of the things with it are just a BIT over the top. Not the least of which is the fact that it makes the Fire Axe obselete for anything except financial reasons!

It cuts through anything with absolutely no resistance, like it's some sort of a Sci-Fi lightsaber or monofilament blade. And as a Level 4 or 5 berserker, you cut at what I can only describe as "Anime Speed". With it, an AK, and a pair of Akimbo Handcannons, you become a Wapaneze Action Hero.

On a somewhat insignificant note: Why didn't Tripwire give some sort of backstory reason for why the Katana is so amazing? They could've said it was a "Horizine Prototype Katana" made out of a specialized blend of metals or something. Then I could understand how it slices cyborgs in half and stays sharp. As it is, it just seems a bit ridiculous.

Upvote 0
On a somewhat insignificant note: Why didn't Tripwire give some sort of backstory reason for why the Katana is so amazing? They could've said it was a "Horizine Prototype Katana" made out of a specialized blend of metals or something. Then I could understand how it slices cyborgs in half and stays sharp. As it is, it just seems a bit ridiculous.

For all you know it could be. I mean, the Trader has a prototype Horzine flamer...

Upvote 0
You could always simply go with the idea the katana is a diamond edged, complex titanium polymer high frequency blade....

raiden_mgs4_by_sgwizz.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The Katana can't hold out large hoards in corridors and door ways, unlike the chainsaw. It's a weapon which is good for open areas. I mean, the chainsaw is still quicker than the Katana. It's secondary attack is just a little slower.

That is just my opinion however. I bet a lot of players have figured how to kill crawlers in mid-air, like they do in the movies.

Upvote 0
I hate to say it but the Katana is overpowered. I don't mind this of course, as this makes it so amazingly fun to use. The thing is, in many ways it seems better than the chainsaw, despite only weighing a fraction of what the chainsaw does.
Agreed.

Chainsaw is still better at melee decapitate the fleshpound. And it is better at holding your ground (such as a doorway or staircase if your entire team dig in).

But currently almost everyone pack a katana as backup. And they probably should too. It is that good...

Upvote 0
The katana finally makes berserker playable.

I hate the noisy chainsaw, and it's a stupid "weapon" in every possible way. In a zombie apocalypse, I would rather run around with a kitchen knife than a chainsaw.

The AK47 is exactly what the commando needed as its advanced weapon, I would have preferred a different weapon model, but the stats are perfect; Smaller mags, less accuracy, but more power.

Great Job Tripwire.

Upvote 0
If the katana replaces the chainsaw then that is fine by me. At least it is nice and quiet :)

That's the other part. With the Chainsaw being so clunky and noisy, ANYTHING of comparable ability is preferable in every situation short of 'Hold the line!' stuff. Why do you think folks used the Fire Axe over it? You can't honestly tell me that there weren't at least a few who used that Axe simply because it wasn't noisy as crap!

I think the Katana needs a price increase. It works just as well as it should. However, it is a step above even the Chainsaw, IMO, and should be priced as such... 1,200 or even 1,500 is more than a fair cost for it, especially when the ones who REALLY get the most out of it still get their discount (Zerkers).

Also, has anyone tried the 'Melee Focus' Zerker? Katana/Chainsaw/Handcannon. It works disturbingly well. Handcannoning Crawlers/Sirens, katana'ing small groups, Chainsawwing huge groups. My only gripe with it is that...

DESPITE HAVING A SUPERIOR MELEE WEAPON, YOU STILL CANNOT DROP THE KNIFE! This is incredibly annoying for those of us few who like to pack multiple up-close party favors... Where the '1' key should switch between Chainsaw and Katana, it now goes Katana -> Chainsaw -> Knife -> Katana. Those few seconds of cycling can cost you your life...

Upvote 0
And your tools are Horzine tools as well, don't forget that.

Coming from the mod, Hard/Suicidal are definitely around the difficulty that the mod was on its core maps ( although this was years ago ).

back then it was alot harder, although i think 1.0 was a bit easier than 2.5. now the only way to get that sense of death and excitement is to play suicidal and hard. the only modes that come close to recreating that harsh gameplay.

Upvote 0
Also, has anyone tried the 'Melee Focus' Zerker? Katana/Chainsaw/Handcannon.
Yes. It is actually my new berserker favorite combo on KF-Office. (well, katana+chainsaw - you cant have handcannon at the same time)

Chainsaw is a great weapon to use when "holding your ground" such as when your party camp somewhere on KF-Office and to decapitate fleshpounds that are after your hide (bullpup or AK work fine for decap too).

Katana is a great hit n run weapon (generally a better weapon than chainsaw and you can use that improved speed of the berserker perk too), but it have too slow attack rate to reliable decapitate fleshpounds in melee or if you have to stand your ground with a swarm of crawlers and gorefasts around you.

Katana + Chainsaw (fleshpound and "holding a doorway or staircase" where you can also take out crawlers and sirens old school style)
Katana + Bullpup (fleshpound melee decap and killing sirens) + Handcannon (crawlers and sirens).
Katana + Crossbow (several crawlers or sirens even if they hide behind other zombies - but if you are left solo you have to be good at decapitating fleshpounds using a single attack).

If you have time and space to move around crawlers can be killed without taking damage using the katana. You either sidestep or move back a bit when they jump at you - and then you kill them when they land.

If there are not more than one siren you can rush it and kill it with your katana without taking damage. Same with bloats.

However, Handcannon is great at killing crawlers (with the penetration you can even kill a crawler behind a clots) and it only take 7 or 8 rounds to kill a six player hard siren. Only weapon better at this might be the crossbow (but they you will lack a fast hitting weapon for fleshpounds).

So the "best alround" setup for later waves as berserker I think is katana + bullpup + handcannon(s)...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The Katana fits my style of play, frankly the speed and the power it delivers is just perfect. Often times I find myself using just the Katana alone, the mobility this weapon offers is enough for any situation. Plus I don't have to constantly put up with the Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn of a chainsaw while playing as a beserker.

Upvote 0
I don't know why people hate the bullpup. As I played, people kept saying "Man Im glad we have an AK now, Bullpup sucks."

The Bullpup has better range, aim, speed, and iron sights. Not to mention less recoil on a commando. The AK-47's burst flash gets in the way sometimes.

I use the bullpup for the range, then I use the AK up close. Both are extremely useful to have.

This is my experience with katana and chainsaw.
To test out the difference, I bought both on my berserker.
Ill use a point system based on what I saw.

Defense - Chainsaw +2 Katana +1
(I've seen people primary attack spamming in a corner with the Katana and live on hard. Of course a person with a Saw would get less hurt as the DPS on a saw allows faster killing. )

Offense - Chainsaw +1 Katana +1
(Depending on how you fight of course. I noticed with a chainsaw, the offensive style would be to stand still and let them come to you. Katana would be pick off one, step back pick off one, step back. With a saw, you can be surrounded as your DPS allows you to spin in circles and kill everything without having to move much. With a Katana, being surrounded is a bit more damaging to you. You can survive, but you will lose more life than a person with a Saw. However, if you like to move around a lot, Katana would be a better choice than a Saw.)

On the run - Chainsaw +1 Katana +2
(The chainsaw is clunky and slow, anything in front of you will die, but the things behind you will surely catch up. With the Katana, you can afford to run backwards and kill gorefasts as you're pretty fast with it on. And facing forward is pretty deadly as well.)

So far its 4 and 4 on based on my playing experience.

Last edited:
Upvote 0