• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Tripwire is runing our maps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fel

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 9, 2009
In Mission Mode
Because of their slacking on the whitelists, noone wants to play any of the new maps because you cant lvl in them. If they would update the white list once a week, then us mappers can get a chance to play our maps with other people.

My clans server has most of the maps from the compittion on it, and noone wants to play them. Why? Because you cant lvl. I know it was about 2 weeks since the maps were summited, and no one will play any of the maps.

Tripwire needs to update more often so us mappers can actually enjoy our maps with random people. They are runining KF becasue all people want to play is the TW maps. Thus people will get bored easily. If the new maps were perkable, then more people would be playing them instead of playing manor, over and over and over and over and over.

Thus noone will even play on our server and probably alot of other peoples server.

The whitelist was a good idea, but now since they like to take their time updating, noone wants to play ANY of the new maps, which will ruin most servers that has mostly new ones.

This is starting to get frusterating. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Thunder3000
...people won't play on a map because they can't gain rank.
Its true, tons of people have been complaining and will quit once they find out they cant lvl up. this is ruining our servers and probably other peoples as well.

I have also talked with other mappers and they have noticed the same thing as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I run an up to date server, which means I always install good maps, in fact I installed the contest maps as soon as they were available since I don't care about perks anymore. I kind of ruined my own server though, no one joins it anymore. I could put the official maps back but I don't want to, I don't want to play on the same stock maps and pre-contest custom maps anymore. I want to play on the new maps and I do sometimes on my server, but on my own.

Don't forget your server doesn't even appear in the server browser list if it's running a non-whitelisted map because most people have the filter "perks enabled" selected. Even if you install the best contest maps, nope, your server won't appear on that list.

Since, as I said, I can't play the old maps anymore because it's extremely boring, I totally quit playing KF. I'm waiting for the "Heavy Metal" update to start again.

I think I'll run my server a couple of weeks more and then I'll be done with it. It's too much of a burden running and admining a server right now if you're a KF player as well who constantly wants to try new maps.

Upvote 0
If mappers released less versions of maps, like a whole new beta every couple of days maybe there would not be such a huge amount of maps out there. I think the problem is mapper rush releases, and then try to quick fix things instead of waiting for a decent amount of feedback before proceeding. :)

tripwire hasnt updated the whitelist in a long time, so even if KF-BLABLABLA has one version, its not going to be played because you cant level up on it because tripwire hasnt updated the whitelist in a long time.

MoreYouKnow.jpg

Upvote 0
it doesnt bother me about the betas, but if you have a ton of betas, dont post them to the white list. just post your final. I cant talk though because i did post my new beta on the whitelist, but i did that do i can play and lvl up on my server BUT it is the only beta for the map. I cant get people to test it because they cant lvl in it. and i need 6 players to test difficulty.

tripwire hasnt updated the whitelist in a long time,

Dude its been like b4 the wave 1 compittion ended. I was hoping that they would do an update right after the summision so we ALL can enjoy the maps and comment instead of playing by ourselves.

Most players dont even know what a white list is, so when they see they arnt perking they complain and say its the server then leave. This in turn makes it so they wont go back to the server.

Also most dont even know about the forums, so how would they know who to complain too. They just leave, not intending to ever go back to the server and go play westlondon until they get bored and then DEL the game.

If TW wants this game to succeed over time, like Unreal tournament (which as been out for ages) then they need to constantly update the white list b4 it is the death of them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Have to add my sentiments as well. The After-Hourz servers were running only competition maps and traffic dropped in a hole after the first week. No level up = no traffic. From what I see, HoS is going to suffer the same thing and that's a huge negative for mappers, let a lone players. The community is what keeps games going and in many cases, sells more copies. The motivation will wane fast if this whitelist thing is an issue there, magnify it based on KF numbers.

Upvote 0
TW slacking? Take your pick.

c) whitelist testing
Y do i choose this? so people will actually play kf instead of waiting weeks. people will grow bored and then quit, so then there will be no need for new weps, if there are no new lvls to perk on

Look at it this way. Of course all of the updates are necessary, but that one is the most important to keep the servers up and running with new people and tons of new maps.

instead of releasing it all at once, they should have a couple of people who concentrate on the white list and keep updating it once a week. That way people are playing the NEW maps and lvling while they wait for the new weps and such. They dont need to release it all at the same time cause now people are having issues with no one in their servers. THAT THEY PAID FOR with the fact in mind that they would be updating the white list constantly. Now their servers are going dead which makes them mad, and eventually giving up on KF. So that means that KF just lost players.

so it should be like this
a) HeavyMetal
b) Grindhouse
c) ROHOS

c) whitelist

This way the whitelist is still being updated constantly and then when they finish the other stuff, they can release it later.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey.

Hey.

Both of my servers where full all the time. Soon as the white list came out they died. I can get them populated while I am in them. I have vote on them so they can get level maps. Most of mine are perk leveling. However the newest comp maps are on there also. Which are not. I am thinking of dropping one server. I got it due to my one was so full I needed more options for my clan and friends to play. Which a lot have stopped playing.:mad: It also gave me an option for suicidal sometimes. Been building on my map more then playing lately;). I am going to break for a little after this one to play for awhile.

Upvote 0
heres the events so far. leveling maps start popping up everywhere, they are abusing the game by cheating while others play by the rules and just have a good time enjoying KF for its gameplay. TWI gets rid of the leveling maps by instituting a whitelist, sounds good on paper. but TWI fails to update this consistently.

its understandable though because TWI is doing alot of stuff, and the update of the game (AK, Katana, new map, bug fixes) is along with the whitelist update. seperating the two would be too much time because they are already headfirst the newest update.

but TWI is smart, next time they will keep the two seperate. wont you TWI???

Upvote 0
The issue with updating the whitelist is most likely that the whitelist is listed in the code of a core file.

Aka the whitelist update cannot only be clientside, but all servers need to update as well. Client updates go automatically, server updates must be done manually, thats why they probably wait with instant whitelist releases so that servers dont need to update every other day.

There are plenty that wouldnt mind updating, but there are some that cannot always check.

Although personally i'd say maybe 1 set day a month for whitelist updates.

Upvote 0
I am not a Perk fan, for the most part I couldn't care less about them. I am sure many others are though (why???...) It does seem that the use of perks (and leveling) are causing problems in an unintentional way as stated by the custom mappers out there and that is a shame. Having a good modding community out there can really help prolong the life of a game. Now I am still more preoccupied with RO (and its mods), but when I do play KF I look for custom maps I haven't played (perks off) just for a change of pace. Lets face it, great maps whether they are stock or custom can get tiring if that is all that is available to play.

Keeping the whitelist up to date might not be the top priority, but it shouldn't be a low one either. My guess is that TWI will have an update soon as they are probably preoccupied with other things (as so often proves the case when patches/updates are on the way).

I would really hate to see perks (and whitelists) become a problem with Heroes of Stalingrad. Perhaps the experience here with KF will prove valuable for TWI's next game.

Upvote 0
I'm not an expert at this but here's my idea. Why do you have to download an update, to update new maps on the whitelist. Why can't it be on a global KF database, and not locally on your machine? So when you are about to start a game, it quiclly looks up on the database if the map is allowed (whitelisted), before playing it. If this is possible at all, surely this is much more efficient?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.