• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Chainsaw!

Electrocuuute

Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2009
The chainsaw is a beauty, a very butch, bloody beauty.

Hold fire and charge at your enemies aiming at their face for easy decapitations.

For all small enemy mob, do the above. If the size of the move is large, circle around, don't charge into it.

For Bloats, do the above, or do the alt-fire (middle mouse or whatever you bound it to) slash attack at their face until they lose their head (in which case you mean leave them to bleed out and die and not worry about vomit) or until they explode. In the case they explode, as long as you aren't running into them you shouldn't get any goo on you. Back up to be safe.

Scrakes, you can hold fire or alt-fire (whichever you'd like, but alt-fire does more dmg it seems) and just aim at their face. When they go to swing, just back up real quick, then go back in.

For Fleshpounds, wait until they charge your teammates, and just hold alt-fire and slash the crap out of them. If they charge YOU, I'd suggest switching to your knife and hauling *** while your teammates shoot it. If you think it's low on hp or you're just daring, try to circle it (but keep your distance) and alt-fire it.

If you're good, you can own with just the chainsaw alone.
Happy gibbing.

Scrakes, you can hold fire or alt-fire (whichever you'd like, but alt-fire does more dmg it seems) and just aim at their face. When they go to swing, just back up real quick, then go back in.

Scrakes seem to not melee back after the first swing, with perk 4-5 it takes 3 hits to kill them on suicidal and can be done without backing up.

Upvote 0
I hate berserker, they are like the killstealer nr. 1!

Maybe you should get all up in the mob then, get surgical with your shotgun or whatever your weapon of choice is instead of letting the beserkers take all the glory! I have no problem sharing kills with people, it's not my fault other people aren't as aggressive to kill mobs as I am.
I can easily get 300 pounds in the first round, sometimes more.

@Aev,
I can't wait for lv 4 and 5 :D
I still need like 500k dmg til lv 4 :(

Upvote 0
Maybe you should get all up in the mob then, get surgical with your shotgun or whatever your weapon of choice is instead of letting the beserkers take all the glory! I have no problem sharing kills with people, it's not my fault other people aren't as aggressive to kill mobs as I am.
I'm Firebug :D 3 berserkes in front of you and your freaking flamethrower is useless, because you burn yourself (thanks to the stupid polygon collision) and the flames don't get through! Oh and btw. you can burn everything, but the final hit is always with the freaking chainsaw-berserker, you get like 0 kills! -.- It's like you just lower the life of every mutant and the beserker finish them -.-

I hate'em! No offense ;)

Upvote 0
If they charge YOU, I'd suggest switching to your knife and hauling *** while your teammates shoot it. If you think it's low on hp or you're just daring, try to circle it (but keep your distance) and alt-fire it.

If you're good, you can own with just the chainsaw alone.
Happy gibbing.

This is so risky and ballsy that it actually has an achievement for it! I've managed to do it twice, with a Fire Axe, actually. It's usually after some moron hits it with a LAW and it goes to pummel him. I run up behind it and axe it's head. It was the first time I ever saw a Fleshpound get decapitated!

I've gotten killed trying it a few times too, because the 'pounder can just turn and literally smash you.

The chainsaw is just amazing, though. I love it in doorways, where you can crouch beside the doorway and cut anything that comes in. Use the main fire for stuff like that, and the alt-fire for hit and run like you'd do with an axe.

A few big tips for 'Zerkers, though, with or without chainsaws:
1) Buy armor. It WILL save you. Level up medic, switch to medic to buy armor with the discount, switch back. Armor is less than $200 with a Level 3 medic perk.
2) If you're at less than 50% health, armor or not, go get healed. If you have a teammate who can do it, great. If not, switch to the knife, run to safety, and do it yourself. Running into a brawl at half health is foolish and usually suicidal.
3) Don't melee crawlers. Just don't. Almost guaranteed damage every time, even if you kill it. Picking them off is for sharpshooters and commandos (If your team is doing it's job). Your biggest targets are mobs of Clots and Gorefasts. Avoid Sirens too, unless you have the jump on them, or prepare for PAIN (And if it's more than one siren, even if you DO have the jump on them, run!) for you and everyone around you. Crawlers and Sirens are one of the few enemies you might want to buy a handcannon for...

Upvote 0
teamgame means everything has a weakness and a strenght, the firebug (@ somones earlier post) is a very good class really, BECAUSE you can weaken evertything and also detect cloaked stalkers. of course this means you need some good teamates who are willing to pass you a few hundred pounds at the end for your services as you will very likely NOT get many kills...

Upvote 0
I'm gonna say go buy a bullpup to go along with your chainsaw. It mows down crawlers, bloats, and sirens (aka everything your chainsaw is bad against) at mid-long range so you can take out the annoying specs before getting medieval on the clots/scrakes/gorefasts.

Against a FP you should find someone to distract it and then go carve up its *** with alt fire. If the FP is pissed off at you and you have body armor, go for the head with alt-fire on the chainsaw and it'll die soon enough. If it's coming for you and you DON'T have armor... switch to the knife and run the **** away!

Upvote 0
and can be done without backing up.

You can kill them with machete without any backup, even thought takes twice the amount of hits to kill one.

Crawlers and Sirens are one of the few enemies you might want to buy a handcannon for...

While on suicidial this does apply, hard and under it you can kill any "regular" enemy with ease with just the basic handgun. It takes 1-2 bullets to kill a Crawler on normal and a magazine to kill a Siren typically. 10

Upvote 0
A quote from a pro berserker friend about the players who complain about beserkers:

cant believe those incredible douchs

I can see it being frustrating if you can't get the kills but just keep playing and sooner or later you'll figure out how to kill specimen. Not many people lose kills because their teammates are berserkers because there is no issue, you just have to get up on your game.

Upvote 0
On beginner or normal, you can usually easily kill crawlers with a chainsaw if you just hold it up slightly and let them jump onto it. This isn't the case on harder difficulties as they have more life, so although you do damage them they land on you and cause you damage.

Clots and gorefasts can be easily decapitated (especially with level 5 Berserker where it's faster) with the primary fire, so make use of this and just tear through them one by one. It's also useful when you're surrounded by enemies and you need to cut a path to safety.

As for sirens, if you're good enough you can sometimes run in with a knife, switch to your chainsaw at the last moment and alt-fire them to death without taking any damage. I do this a lot, even on suicidal. Never ever do this while there are other sirens close by however, as this is stupid. Another tactic is to hide behind a wall and wait for the moment they pass by, and attack. This is more effective than running up to them, as usually they never have time to scream. I don't know why, but I always feel the berserker is apt for taking out sirens despite the dangers (just make sure your team pick off any crawlers around, and any additional sirens before you run in).

As already mentioned, for Scrakes you simply have to alt-fire them several times and they will die depending on the difficulty and amount of players. If you don't have time to kill them straight away just alt-fire them once and it'll stun them due to the nice coding that makes this happen.

For Flesh Pounds you should wait untill one is following you, and simply run up to it and attack its head (using the regular attack, not alt-fire) and hope that you will decapitate it. Once this happens, draw your knife and run away as fast as you can, as even a Flesh Pound missing a head, an arm, and a leg can kill you, amazingly. Beware however that this will not always work. I'm not sure whether it helps, but I like to do the head some damage with a handcannon a while before attacking it with the chainsaw, just make sure you don't anger it. If you're playing on beginner or normal you can usually just alt-fire it a few times and it will die, sometimes without you even taking any damage.

A great team play tactic is to play as Berserker up front, while others stay behind and cover you, taking out the crawlers and excess sirens. It may be an obvious tactic but it really does work very well! And of course the shooters shouldn't bother attacking clots or gorefasts unless the Berserker is in trouble. I easily completed a match on suicidal with one other player, just using this tactic. He protected me by concentrating on the crawlers, while I protected him by killing anything coming our way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
dangerous thing about bloats is the fact their special attack has no 'cooldown time', meaning they're able to spit acidic goop again right after the first puke-attack is over

so one strategy I really like to kill a bloat is to first blow his head off with a 9mm or a bullup, it's a matter of 1-2 bullets if you aim right

then you can most likely let the beheaded bloat bleed out and die

if there are other players around, who might shoot him and 'steal' your kill, then you can go at point-blank and finish the bloat off with an alt-fire attack

but remember to quickly move back as soon as you attacked, so you don't get splashed when his dead body turns into a pool of acid

For Flesh Pounds you should wait untill one is following you, and simply run up to it and attack its head (using the regular attack, not alt-fire) and hope that you will decapitate it
I already managed, quite by accident I must admit, to cut one FP's arms off

and I think it considerably reduces the damages they can deal (with their stumps lol)

but I don't know what's the very spot of his body you gotta aim to...hand? elbow? other?

Upvote 0