• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Final Map KF-Grimpen

More people need to see this map without the headcrushing lag some experience. I am really hoping we'll see a more efficient version soon. This is one of the best maps out there and its a joy when it wins the map vote. You just know you're going to have a real good time. I love this map.

I am wondering if he was just a drive by mapper for the contest. Only one post. I have not put it on my server yet do to lag complaints.

:(

Upvote 0
This map pwns. I really want to do a remix of it though since I hate invisible walls, thats seriously one of my very few gripes with this seriously awesome map.
Sure ****s all over KYBENS Swamp thats for sure. :eek:

i know these guys are a bit clueless but swamp is definitely kybens map. whatever happened to kf-hotel? youve been promising us forever a quality map like alex's but all ive seen from you are kybens maps (crash, swamp), with your name attached :cool:

'Drive by mapper' what a great description. 'Oh look there is a new game called Killing Floor. I'm a bit bored at the moment so I'll wack out a brilliant map then bugger off' haha. We need more drive by mappers!

if im skilled at mapping, and i walk by and see a contest that perks my interest, id probably check into it. i look at the competition from wave 1, and yeh, i laugh a little, as im sure damdam and zerreth/wanderer did. KF just doesnt have a long history of GREAT community mappers aside from: kyben, doyora, kicker. we tend to have more decent mappers than we do GREAT mappers. which is normal for most modding communities wouldnt you say?

so i wouldnt be surprised if some outside ppl, who've heard about the competition, joined for an easy shot at $10,000. they have the skills, the competition doesnt look too intimidating... no idea whats happened to tundrapuppy, but 1 post, no updates, didnt post a beta, just went straight to final. who knows! im not going to assume! tundrapuppy is definitely skilled though.

its really odd how someone can make such a beautiful and well detailed map but not know about basic optimizing. reminds me of when damdam first showed up with waterworks, beautiful map but had horrible pathing and spawning problems. REALLY WEIRD because you look at the work and you just wouldnt expect such an obvious/noob mistake.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
its really odd how someone can make such a beautiful and well detailed map but not know about basic optimizing. reminds me of when damdam first showed up with waterworks, beautiful map but had horrible pathing and spawning problems. REALLY WEIRD because you look at the work and you just wouldnt expect such an obvious/noob mistake.

That's one easy. You have artists and you have engineers. Artists make pretty maps that have crap gameplay. Engineers make the great gameplay but it aint so pretty. Left and right side of the brain type thing and they can't be both. Risking a derail with this topic here. But hell if some guy wants to pass by and drop a map of this quality in once a month I'll be a happy man.

Upvote 0
That's one easy. You have artists and you have engineers. Artists make pretty maps that have crap gameplay. Engineers make the great gameplay but it aint so pretty. Left and right side of the brain type thing and they can't be both. Risking a derail with this topic here. But hell if some guy wants to pass by and drop a map of this quality in once a month I'll be a happy man.

anyone whos tinkered around in UE for that amount of time (im sure grimpen didnt take an hour, and im sure waterworks didnt take 30 minutes) will know how to at least path and know basic optimization like cull distance ffs.

Upvote 0
you must have a really kick arse computer!

Not really. Most gamers would actually consider it outdated and crappy. :D
I believe this map has some kind of issue that is not affecting me for some reason, or some laggy spots that I haven't found.

I just spend ~30 minutes running around this map in solo mode with max runtime zombies after me and never encountered any laggy spots. Mostly steady 60 fps, went down to 39 once with all the zeds and a building onscreen. I'm running KF with mostly maxed graphical settings and AA off.

Upvote 0
i​e;508780 said:
Not really. Most gamers would actually consider it outdated and crappy. :D
I believe this map has some kind of issue that is not affecting me for some reason, or some laggy spots that I haven't found.

I just spend ~30 minutes running around this map in solo mode with max runtime zombies after me and never encountered any laggy spots. Mostly steady 60 fps, went down to 39 once with all the zeds and a building onscreen. I'm running KF with mostly maxed graphical settings and AA off.

normal for me WAS 60fps, but then after i dusted it out i now get 90fps normally. on grimpen however i get 60fps normally, and about 20-30fps during any sort of action.

Upvote 0
Others have complained on my server. The only place I ever saw lag was a 6 man match and we were outside the trader log cabin in the middle of the swamp in the trees (almost like a Island). That place is a hot spot for some reason. It had players crying out in agony from headcrushing lag. So its a get in get out place no hanging around if the trader spawns there.

Anything else than six is normally fine. 6 players can start to test peoples lesser boxes of plastic and wires.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Others have complained on my server. The only place I ever saw lag was a 6 man match and we were outside the trader log cabin in the middle of the swamp in the trees (almost like a Island). That place is a hot spot for some reason. It had players crying out in agony from headcrushing lag. So its a get in get out place no hanging around if the trader spawns there.

sounds like it makes things interesting haha. i imagine the zombies sitting in the nearby bushes, snickering while they watch these dudes lagging.

Upvote 0