• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New zooming in while aiming or with weapon at hip

weird thing is bro,when you actually aim in RL you wont get any extra zoom from the eye no matter how much you concentrating,u might lock in ur eye on the target while tracking it,but there isnt any zoom feeling,telling from my own experience.
with concenctrating zoom, you can see targets far away like you would see them in real life. Otherwise a target that should be clearly visible is just a pixel in the screen.

Upvote 0
That's exactly what i've learned aswell, that it should be done on an allmost half-full lung (because holding your breath on a full or empty lung is stressfull, slightly more than half-full is much easier), and you do it just moments before squeesing the trigger, as you don't want to hold your breath for too long (because if the body doesen't get new oxygen for a while, it aint happy and relaxed).

But it'd be neigh impossible to impliment it like that in a game in a usefull way, to have that degree of accuracy over your breathing in a game, it would need a whole bunch of new controls, and would be terrible to deal with in real time durring play, so instead, it should just be one button that mimicks the results of this, which may be a bit of an abstraction, but the end result is what matters.

At the end of the day, we're looking at a screen, pushing a mouse around and pressing keys, there are limits to how accurate this medium can function and still be easy to opperate, a PC just isen't the "Holodeck" from StarTrek, and certain abstractions will be required to make it work.
I agree - but I think that this could be simulated to an extent by making the sway change between between the normal amount and a smaller amount (alternating) during the time the player presses controlled breathing button. This could require the player to time shots more than simply having the sights stop swaying completely, like in CoD4.

Upvote 0
I tend to breathe out, stop breathing out halfway through the breath, then shoot. It's the way I was taught at least - and is nothing like the "hold breath button" thing in games, like CoD4 for example where one holds ones breath for a long time - something which increases sway a lot, for me at least, after 1 or 2 seconds.
This is more or less what they tried to get the the grunts to do 40+ years ago. The habit they were trying to break is pretty much what you described for CoD4 and what I've seen implemented in a lot of FPS's today. That is to take a gulp of air and hold your breath till you shoot. All that does is introduce nervous muscle tension and heartbeat pulsations. And you'd better hurry up! The longer your breath is held, the worse it tends to get. Then you have to recover from holding your breath. Time wasted....
One thing that gets me in the bona fide sniper classes of these FPS's is that they use this ALOT. It would seem to me, if one were a trained sniper (with your own ghillie suit and everything :rolleyes: ) wouldn't you have been trained in proper breathing techniques? You shouldn't have to conciously do anything. It should come standard with the class....:cool:

Reactions: Karabiner98k
Upvote 0
They do the exact opposite in the Danish military, here we're trained to hold our breath if we need more accuracy, and in my experiance it works, it really steady's my aim, and is especially apparent with a scope.

That's not what it's there for though.

Thing is, video games are limited by the screens we play them on, in the real world you have about 180 degree's field of view, and stereoscopic sight at an amazing resolution.

No ordinary screen can give us that in a game however (you'd need a home Imax format screen or something), the lack of clarity (pixilation) is one thing, but much worse is the lack of periphial vision it gives us.
For this reason, games are unrealistically zoomed out, we play them at a "fish-bowl" distorted view so as much periphial view as possible can be crammed onto the small screen space, which is good, we need to have some periphial vision to play.

But it comes at a cost, since we're zoomed out, everything appears smaller than it really is, and add pixilation, and the lack of true stereoscopic sight to the problem, and it makes judging distances in games, not to mention seeing anything with any clarity at range, very difficult indeed, unrealistically so.

This is what aim-zoom tries to fix, you shoulden't think of it as a zoom, but rather, as going from an unrealistic zoomed-out view to normal, because that's what it actually is.
The fov you see when it's "zoomed-in" is normal human sight, it's what you came from, the "zoomed-out" view that was unrealistic (but a nessesary evil, because without it, we'd have none of the periphial vision we would have in the real world).

Technically speaking, having aim-zoom is more realistic than not having it, because it allows the game to mimick two real things about human perception, that we have good perihial vision, but also that we are good at judging range and the clarity we're able to see with, it lets the game simulate both thease facts (but sadly, not at the same time).

The downside to it as that, in order to simulate both thease things, you have to use two sepperate FOV's, and zoom in and out between the two, which, of course, does look rather silly, there's no denying that, it does look a bit silly.

But you should think of that as a nessesary evil, a result of the technical limitations imposed on us by the screen, it's not perfect, because the hardware we use to view the gameworld is not perfect.

the only use of this sort of zoom in to the target option is if you shoot at distant targets,question is will this be implemented in the game as a sort of binding to every time you aim the zoom kicks in in about 1/2-1sec. or you will have to initiate it by pressing a key?

Upvote 0
the only use of this sort of zoom in to the target option is if you shoot at distant targets,question is will this be implemented in the game as a sort of binding to every time you aim the zoom kicks in in about 1/2-1sec. or you will have to initiate it by pressing a key?

You can see in the videos, the first stage zoom happens when you go to iron sights. You can get a 2nd stage zoom when you hit a key (presumably) for controlled breathing.

Upvote 0