• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The best war film ever made ,is...

I'm going to have to go with The Longest Day on this one. Even today, this film holds up excellently amid the top modern war dramas.

The incredible quality of the actors playing American, British, French, and especially German roles has been unmatched since then, and some of the battle sequences are unbelievably breathtaking. Of course, it's Hollywood, so there are your share of historical nitpicks, but on the whole, it's a fantastic and incredibly ambitious film for its time.

Seen it a 1000 times since I was a little kid.

No one mentioned Kelly's Heroes yet.
Also not the best, but one of the most entertaining war movies made.

Force 10 from Navarone is another one of those very entertaining war movies.

Just thought I should mention these...

Upvote 0
There are a few other great movies I forgot to mention, such as Talvisota, A Bridge Too Far, Katyn, Letters From Iwo Jima and The Thin Red Line. SPR is a good movie, but the main plot is what really does not feel good to me. An SS company defeated by a dozen poorly equiped soldiers?

Long shot yes.
But Army Rangers are equal to British commando's/SAS and/or SS (in fact they got training with/by commando's).
Army Rangers are elite/special forces.
Selection was done by actually looking for quality people. Not just blond hair and blue eyes... nudge nudge wink wink.

Upvote 0
Too many great war films/series to list, but here's some of my favourites :D

A bridge too far
The longest day
Battle of Britain
Band of brothers
Saving private ryan
Hamburger hill
Platoon
Enemy at the gates
Stalingrad
The great escape
Where eagles dare
Letters from Iwo Jima
Schindler's list
Full Metal Jacket
Zulu

Long shot yes.
But Army Rangers are equal to British commando's/SAS and/or SS (in fact they got training with/by commando's)

Er, if you say so. Clearly your own opinion but either way that statement made me chuckle ;)

Upvote 0
Sorry to stick to one director, but I'm going to have to go with The Bridge on the River Kwai and Lawrence of Arabia. Different films and different wars, but they're both amazing in every way. I love Jack Hawkins.

And the guy who said to try the book of All Quiet on the Western Front... yeah, I read it twice through a few years ago and it's superb. The description of that guy going yellow and dying and then his friend taking his flight boots (IIRC) is very, very moving :(

Paths of Glory is very good; certainly Kubrick's most overlooked film.

I'm not sure that Kingdom of Heaven really fits as a war film ( ;) ) but the director's cut is nonetheless one of my favourite films; same goes for Apocalypse Now Redux.

Upvote 0
I remember it had a bunch of fist fights that seemed to go on forever without anyone actually getting hurt, and lots of melodramatic scenes that were so perfectly calculated to make me cry that I ended up laughing instead. The older brother's defection didn't really make sense and wasn't explained properly, either.

But it was well shot and edited, I guess.

Upvote 0
True Feelings Expressed
I know so well,,that feeling of having to chose.I can't Thetoad,can't believe this indecision.OH,,,,I need four...YOU GET ONE,and one ONLY
For the person who mentioned subs,& M.G.Yes,the HUNLEY,however,do you compare it's effectiveness against German WW1 subs.The Gatling gun was available during the civil war,,but ALL GENERALS, & the war Dept. ,frowned on it because it wasted ammo.
BRIG. Custer,,now..LT. COL. Custer,could have taken one with him on his last voyage,but he chose not to.......because ,,he said...it would slow him down.
Thetoad wonders,,,if he had it,,and rounds,,that would not jam ??????

Reactions: Shadrach
Upvote 0