• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

My thread which you should read and not flame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't take offense like I'm pointing at you, because I'm not simply pointing at you but anyone that claims anything but complete realism hard core players are ADD COD playing frat boys that are like "Herr dude we get unlockable weapons now!"

Noted and no offense taken.

And the reason I jumped his throat is he compared the TWI devs to the likes of drug dealers and Bootleggers in their marketing.

I was referring to my unit-mate Alois Himmel in the screenshot thread who never made such a comparison. I believe you are referring to Skittles.

My unit-mates can be a tad elitist at time, but it's usually amongst ourselves. It doesn't get past our Public face of professionalism. Well, it's not supposed to.

Reactions: Ossius
Upvote 0
I'm not talking about your group, heck I haven't even heard of you before yesterday.
I'm a very frequent forumer on a game called Men of War: assault squad. And such "realism group" is on there too. THEY DRIVE ME CRAZY. MOWAS is made by a very small team (right now only one guy, the lead dev is working on it) and they moan and complain about anything that isn't realistic on a >>GAME<<
MOWAS is not a simulator. Sigh...

Don't take offense like I'm pointing at you, because I'm not simply pointing at you but anyone that claims anything but complete realism hard core players are ADD COD playing frat boys that are like "Herr dude we get unlockable weapons now!"
I love this game, will probably play it for years, as a matter of fact its on the of last games I'm planning to buy. But I'm being accused of being some dimwitted consumer because I actually find all these features enticing?

Please... Just enough is enough.

And the reason I jumped his throat is he compared the TWI devs to the likes of drug dealers and Bootleggers in their marketing.

Project reality off the top of my head.

The drug dealer thing was a joke. I wasn't making a comparison to them. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Upvote 0
Ok. Let me retract my entire thread. If TWI includes bipods and a scope for hand grenades, I will not dislike the attachment system anymore. I pinky promise.

This thing count?

Spoiler!

Not hand grenades :p but I wanted to troll a bit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Persistent stats are great. Lets hope that more time was spent on defining the paramenters than was spent on the RO achievements.

One of the things that I found interesting is that the carrots being offered to these other potential players are the exact same as the carrots of the other popular shooters (where are they now?). "One must grind to be uber". The emphasis in shooters is being led to grinding instead of becoming a better player. Instant gratification, yes. Actual tangible gain? No. Long-term replayability, lost.

In spending resources to copy what has come before, and to cater to the "leveling market", this many-year RO player feels that a real opportunity to produce a truly original experience has been lost.

Make no mistake, its about the money. It seems that nowadays, everyone wants to level their character instead of themselves. The problem with this is that it gets boring for a shooter player. Fast. The only people who do not get bored with this play offering are the most committed leveling players, and there are much better games to get one's level fix than RO/RO2. So, perhaps a million copies will be sold. Let's hope so. What happens to the game once the leveling gets old and the community is splintered? The game goes away.

What had happened if the game carrot had been a gaming paradigm where heroes and the like are created by their actions? Have you ever heard of a game called Advanced Squad Leader? There were instances in that game where battle hardening or heroes would emerge as a result of the action, not the turn number.

Imagine a RO2 that gave heroic attributes to a player who does heroic things in game. This paradigm dovetails nicely into Valve achivements. When heroic actions are performed heroic events are triggered, and different things can happen (to the environment, to the player, to players around them... engage imagination). This does a number of things, but the most profound effects from a replayability standpoint is that anyone can be a hero (just like real life), and the heroic events paradigm can be continually built upon (giving endless opportunity for game growth in many different directions).

One of the unique things about RO is that one could be a hero simply by being a hero, not by having more time in game, or a faster load time, than the others. One will still be able to be a significant contributor to the HOS battlefield, but personally, everything I do will be de-emphasized because I know I am playing a watered-down game against watered-down players. This is simply because I am so against leveling as a shooting type game.

Its not the amount of time my avatar spends in game that makes me better, it is how I spend the time in my game that makes me better.

With only the info on this site, I believe TWI lost a significant opportunity to create a unique multi-player experience in favor of the industry direction, which is to incorporate psuedo single player scripted win and leveling into multiplayer.

Skill and Game Experience > Consumer Psychology

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't see any of the addons or stats features to be there simply for attracting new players. Like it or not it does add some needed depth to the game. Those of us who loved Ostfront and the mod for its bare-bones gameplay will either enjoy the added features in RO2 even more, or they will simply continue enjoying the (improved) bare-bones gameplay.

I'm only really worried about the community it's going to attract. Hate me for saying it but I generally dislike those that surround the current Call of Duty and Battlefield audience, and some of those that show up even in the Killing Floor community. These forums are eventually going to be swamped with posts concerning RO2's weapon balance, complaining, and whatnot, and it's going to take time to get over that phase. I'm really just hoping the integration of that kind of crowd doesn't hurt RO's image or Tripwire's image.

Reactions: V.Medvedev
Upvote 0
I don't see any of the addons or stats features to be there simply for attracting new players. Like it or not it does add some needed depth to the game.

You need to get out of the box.

It doesn't add needed depth, it copies the depths of other games, using a method of player reward that is quickly being recognized as a play on consumer psychology.

Upvote 0
I do....to a degree.

As someone whose been here since Beta 1.0 of the mod and as someone whose played the RO2 beta, I can say, gameplay-wise, it has met all of my expectations so far and plays like I think a true successor in the RO series should. Considering TWI has promised lots of customization, you should be able to turn off all of the stuff you don't like. Also consider, we're not talking about leveling up to get nuke bazookas, scoped mp40s, and flamethrower grenades. It's designed to be reasonable. I'm not a dev, but from what TWI has told us and from my own experience of how the core game handles, there is no reason to be worried.

thanks Amerikaner.....some sense :)

Upvote 0
What makes me so puzzled is people's perception that new "elite" gear will be the thing that draws in the masses to RO2. I don't think anyone thinks, "hey, unlocks! Cool, I'mma buy this game!" Unlocks might keep people playing over the years, sure, but it's not what draws people in in the first place (IMO).

I've played the game for 4 years, but I'm ready to welcome change. I can't wait to be that lowly private, armed with a crap, discarded mosin when I see a grizzled Russian with a battered helmet run by me, waving me onward. Because I know I'm going to follow. The hero system is brilliant because it gives people who are new to the game a visual cue that says, "hey, follow me. I know what I'm doing." And that, I feel is something worth trying out because I know our comunity will do well in guiding new players into the new RO.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.