• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Radius-based voice chat for infantry.

Local voice comms are to improve public gaming, but if enemies cannot hear what is being said then it will be used in 8+on8+ clan gaming too. Its difficult to really have a discussion about this when there isn't even a fraction of info from TWI's side.

Are there any other games that are as similar to RO2/RO1 as RnL that has used a similar system? If not, only people who have played RnL has anything valuable to say imho as we are the only ones who actually know how it works ;).
My imperssion is that ARMA2 and RO2 will not be similar enough to be really comparable, but I might be wrong as I haven't played neither ARMA nor ARMA2.

Oh hai The Yeti btw, missed your post :D.

Upvote 0
Local voice comms are to improve public gaming, but if enemies cannot hear what is being said then it will be used in 8+on8+ clan gaming too. Its difficult to really have a discussion about this when there isn't even a fraction of info from TWI's side.

Are there any other games that are as similar to RO2/RO1 as RnL that has used a similar system? If not, only people who have played RnL has anything valuable to say imho as we are the only ones who actually know how it works ;).
My imperssion is that ARMA2 and RO2 will not be similar enough to be really comparable, but I might be wrong as I haven't played neither ARMA nor ARMA2.

Oh hai The Yeti btw, missed your post :D.

Arms 2 is COMPLETELY Different than RO

Upvote 0
You have probably heard this in RnL when someone kills you, he pours the frustration on you with insults. RnL's player base a bit selected so i am afraid that this effect will magnify a bit more with RO2 cos it will be more popular and mainstream.

I'm an excellent example :troll:

Assuming you can't hear enemies from afar, it won't really matter anyways. But at least it is realistic to hear my frustrated ramblings as I'm popping off shots at an enemy across the street. Cursing is always part of the war experience for me :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
People actually want to use the in game voip still? So you want enemies to hear someone flaming a teammate in the next building over, or screaming into the microphone?

That would be hilarious!

Id love that..and it would be pretty realistic...especially if you had to keep quiet to avoid the enemy hearing you

Upvote 0
Carne here. I use to hang out on the RnL forums as well :p

Anyways, as Hypno said; It's not entirely realistic, but it adds much more to the immersion compared to the standard voicechat.

I do remember those good times in RnL where you could just sit behind a rock and listen to 3-4 enemies talking about what to do next, then you'd just jump out and mow them down.

Upvote 0
thats the thing, when you whisper your team hears your voice becasue your close, but the farther away german only hears teh mic activate, some static, adn a click.

DEV's please go play around with RnL and ask the RnL devs if you can impliment there system.

even if you hear the germans, its still realistic. the US soilders could understand some german, or stop yelling or just type!!!!! TYPE!!!!! if you dont want the otehr side to here, type. you should be safe if your going to yell out tactics. and type when you hear footsteps. im not a soilder, but i can understand some german. like sparp shooter shounds like sharp shootzen!!!

and its fun to ask people to surrender in RnL. you sream surrender and shoot your tommy gun around the corner taking 2 of the 3 out and the last one drops hes weapons and surrenders. its great fun and for clans you could do a match where the most people captured wins!

and i hate on tank maps where people are speaking german/russian and are 500 miles away SCREAMING and i jsut dotn care! thers a tiger 200M infront of me and im in a stuart!!!!!!! i need to concintrate.

with the ranged voice i could whisper to my teammate also in a stuart, quitly so the german does nto hear, that i will go left and he will go right. we flank and own the tiger!!!

also, if large maps with buildings it would be cool if a voice is to far off to be heard and there speaking at a normal level or a yell make the range incresse or decresse and......if its to far, make it echo off the ways in a ununderstandable voice. you hear like -muffled- TIGER -muffles- WERE SO FU muffled then it gets garbled or something like the word he said and the word he said 2 seconds ago mix together and sound like SHISHKT!!

also, if a radio man (have a radio class) is speaking, then others with teh radio hear the info, the same with people RIGHT near him to imitate the sould from teh phone. this way you could get info across the battle feild to teh reserve T34 tanks to flank right and kill the tiger in B5 sector!!

i think that yelling= farther voice whisper = shorter and the radio system would make the RnL system even. that way germans only hear germans unless there yelling. this would premote tactical realism.

loose words shoots allies (sinks ships) (blows up tanks)!!

Upvote 0
About being able to interpret what is being said or not. When I heard enemies talking to each other in RnL, every now and then it is in a language I don't understand good enough (spanish, french, german). That feels so much better for me compered to when I hear exactly what the enemy says. So based on my experience I would hope that TWI not just go for transmitting the same thing to both teams, that would be way more immersive for me (and I imagine other people feel the same).

Reactions: Felix Ostheim
Upvote 0
RnL is a great game plaged by bugs and seemingly lazy dev's after tehy get liek 4 or 5 versions out (alpha 4, and now beta 5.......) but has so mutch potentioal.

anyway, the RnL voice would be amazing in RO2. but, i think both teams should hear it. it makes you reconize your team voices, other wise that german "team mate" is actually a russian!

but in tanks, you should be heard in a radius for people out side teh tank,, but other tanks can hear you loud and clear across the map because of the radios.

side not, only the lead tank in the russian army had a radio, so they ahd to use flags and stuff liek that!

heard outside a tank? no not a chance in hell over the engine.

Hearing enemies is a good point, but it is problematic in that russians speak russian, and germans... well you get the idea. Allowing players to easily hear and understand the enemys communications does increase realism in that you can hear enemy comms, but decreases it because you understand it.

And No, russian and german armour units did not use the same radio frequency ....

Upvote 0
Since this thread is already chock-full of (at least, previous) RnL Regulars, I might as well throw myself in as well.

The 3D voice chat in RnL is an extremely great idea. And I'm sure it would be great for HoS.

Even if most people don't have microphones (whereas in RnL, it seems everyone and their Grandmother has a microphone, making squad cooperation fairly easy), usually a person with a microphone rises to the role of leader (no matter of class) and the group can cooperate well because of it.

Where this feature in RnL shined the most is when you're in the middle of combat, it's hard for me to explain it (probably because of how long it's been since I've played the game), but it just felt right.

Upvote 0
About being able to interpret what is being said or not. When I heard enemies talking to each other in RnL, every now and then it is in a language I don't understand good enough (spanish, french, german). That feels so much better for me compered to when I hear exactly what the enemy says. So based on my experience I would hope that TWI not just go for transmitting the same thing to both teams, that would be way more immersive for me (and I imagine other people feel the same).

I don't know to what extent you can modify VOIP dynamically, but to reiterate an earlier post, I think they could just roll off the treble levels of enemies voice once they are beyond a certain distance (lets say 50 meters) and add a reverberation effect, so it just sounds like echoing, muffled chatter in the distance. You could hear people up close for obvious reasons, but at that distance I don't think it'd matter as theres going to be a lot of shooting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hearing enemies is a good point, but it is problematic in that russians speak russian, and germans... well you get the idea. Allowing players to easily hear and understand the enemys communications does increase realism in that you can hear enemy comms, but decreases it because you understand it.

Even with the prerecorded comms from the menu, players will eventually learn what they mean phonetically, by context, from having played on both Russian and German teams innumerably.

Personally I didn't really like RnL's mic system. The fear of being overheard, and the knowledge that not all of my team could hear me at once, left me feeling essentially muted and claustrophobic. :D I either didn't want to talk or when I had something to say, I had to type it out so my team could actually respond in their entirety. "Squads" do not exist on a public server with quasi-random spawns.

Upvote 0
then make it so only close TEAMMATES cna hear you, but you use radios to comunitate long distances. like a radioman in the clsoe vinenity pick up everyones voice and transmits it to other radios that play that sounds to a radius the same as a normal "i press V and talk" radius.

the reason for the voice pickup on the radio is so that noobs that get the class only to get a SMG (should give it no gernades and a basic rifle) will still be helping the team.

at least incude it and standard voice for clans and things.

Upvote 0