• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Lag compensation

Here's an easy example of "lag compensation code" which came to COD in MW2.

On your client when you shoot at a guy and hit him, your shots will register. Even if the victim didn't see you on his fov he still gets hit.

That's the reason for the millions of wtf moments in COD games when a person says " I was behind that wall and **** got shot, BS! ".... lag compensation code.

Keep it on the consoles please..

Upvote 0
Here's an easy example of "lag compensation code" which came to COD in MW2.

On your client when you shoot at a guy and hit him, your shots will register. Even if the victim didn't see you on his fov he still gets hit.

That's the reason for the millions of wtf moments in COD games when a person says " I was behind that wall and **** got shot, BS! ".... lag compensation code.

Keep it on the consoles please..

Umm MW2 is the worst possible example as it does not even have dedicated servers. A lot of things which cause lag can go wrong if you are playing on a listen server.

Upvote 0
BTW, it should be pointed out that RO2 does make an attempt to lag compensate. It draws players where it guesses they will be when your shot registers, based on what they were doing when you last heard from the server. (See this post by Ramm-Jaeger.)

This system gives incorrect results should your target change direction, start/stop or duck/stand/prone while your command is travelling of course. It also results, on laggy player's computers, in you popping around cover and revealing your position when you *actually* stopped in time. But that doesn't bother anyone, right?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
please add lag compensation, whenever i play on a 150+ latency server (and the majority of the servers i can see are around that), my bullets are NOTICEABLE slower. Leading is a nightmare, and cqc is just unspeakable (not to mention i get around 7fps in close encounters)

Please, please please fix this. I am just unable to play competitively if my bullets are slower. Im sorry i wasnt born in US or EU, just please compensate a bit for my lag.

Upvote 0
By default, TBH, RO1, and RO2 have somewhat `very` bad netcode optimization/ lag compensation resulting in very slow bullets in hi ping server (150-250ms)

To become playable MP oriented game, this is crucial stuff, fix this please tripwire, this probably should have been the no.1 priority;;

I mean it's that important...really for mp game like this..:p

I know latency issue is common among all the FPS games, yet in my experience, some of recent EA's FPS titiles have relatively better netcode, ping optimization while RO1, RO2 had one of the bads.

I remember later days of RO1 I had only a few server choices but servers in foreign region which I had to endure somewhat big latency slow bullet issues, and that almost made the game unplayable.
Bullets hit the ground 3 meters away from me about 3 quarter second later in hi pinged server, it was awful.

so, I and other ppl playing from countries where there's not that many core gamers around would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0