• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The best way to use the cover system is to ignore it

I use it when it's useful. If I'm too exposed when standing but can't fire when crouched, I'll latch on to set myself at the right height. If I'm firing down at something, I'll use cover to be able to aim down, fire, then take cover simply by aiming further up. As a machine gunner, the cover system is absolutely necessary. You can conceal yourself for an ambush, use peek to pick targets before deploying, reload/change barrels in safety... it's absolutely fantastic to use.

Blindfiring grenades is also a very underused tactic (I don't think the achievement works, unfortunately). Blindfire itself is less useful, but still nice to have.

All in all, I have no idea why people object so strongly to the system. It's well done, doesn't get in the way except for the fact that it's also bound to the use/bandage key, and is useful in a number of situations.

Upvote 0
Yeah it's too cumbersome and unpolished. I often get killed because I'm stuck or get stuck to a wall. Moving sideways from a window to a wall sometimes makes my character stand up and expose himself terribly, not nice at all.
Other than that i think the idea is awesome and it adds immersion (in theory at least).

Upvote 0
Iits good for use in trenches and even in buildings but you have to be aware that your not invisible when using it. If you start getting shot at its a good idea to move away and hit the dirt. I use it a lot when trying to push toward a cap point you can easily pop up take a quick look and plan your next move. My only gripe with the cover system is sometimes it can get me killed trying to get out of it to avoid enemy fire since it can be a little clumsy at times. But its a really cool feature that will become more polished with time. I would hardly call it useless. But there are times when crouching and leaning is the way to go

Upvote 0
Oh, and the cover system is great when you need to use smoke or grenades.

It's also good for quickly looking.... pop out, take a look around, let go of your key and drop back down in cover.... then blind fire or toss your grenade.... then duck back down.

Of course when I use the cover system, it's only for a few actions within a few seconds, then I relocate.... unless I know I'm in a safe area where most don't know I'm there. If I have bullets wizzing by, that's my que to gtfoutta there.
Yep, something like this. I am using the cover system more and more rather than less and less. It is not meant to be a 'pop up and down repeatedly in the same spot' thing, since that will certainly get oneself killed. And this happens if one tries to lean around corners just the same. If someone acquired you and are aiming at where they anticipate you to appear, they will have a very easy one shot kill.

The cover system has lots of uses but is a bit tricky. It requires lots of training to learn to use it instinctively and quickly, and understanding exactly how it works and doesn't work.

For example, you can spin around while in 'cover' mode without disabling the mode. If you pop up over obstacles, you will automatically stand up higher and higher the more downwards you are aiming. For example, when Germans are rushing across the open on Brain Elevator, and you are a few floors up, tracking them as they run towards the bottom floor underneath you. This is a practical feature.

Another example is grenading. Being able to plain 'drop' a grenade on the other side of your wall/window when enemies are just a meter or three away. Much less conspicious than trying to lob it, and next to zero chance of grenading yourself by accident, AND at the same time not needing to expose yourself at all. I haven't tried grenading around corners yet.

Cover by corners is useful for situations where you want to have a clear view as rapidly as possible, with the ability to step back completely just as fast. Can do it with with or without your gun. Just a quick quick peek. If you happen to see someone, you can shoot them. Just the same, you can wait until you hear/anticipate one or more enemies running down a hallway or whatever, and you 'pop out' and shoot them all with your rapid fire weapon.

Blind fire I've never gotten the use of, but I always avoided CQB, rarely have SMG/assault rifles, and I keep forgetting it is there. Must be useful when they are coming at you as well as you know there are guys aiming at your 'spot'.

Sometimes the cover system makes you expose yourself more than just crouching and aiming, which is somewhat illogical. Sometimes it exposes less. The aim of the system should be to expose as little as possible, only exposing more and more if the user moves the aim in such a manner (such as the Brain Elevator behavior described above).

Upvote 0
What helps me TONS is having turned the cover bind from a toggle to a hold (similar to R6V). This makes it extremely useful in frantic CQB situations and makes it simple to detach. It's not perfect and every so often I run into complications (accidentally pick up weapon instead of leaving cover, or pick up then snap-to), but that is rare if you are careful.

I think the best help would be to separate the "use" command into "pick up/resupply" "use cover" "exit cover" and "use all" (what it is now). That way the default could stay as is, but us binding wizards would have more options.

I use it a lot actually, but only in specific situations as mentioned:
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=907530&postcount=84
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=903686&postcount=68
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=903086&postcount=45

I agree with these points though:
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=903418&postcount=55

Although an intuitive cover system like this is what I've dreamed about:
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=903141&postcount=48

Upvote 0
I don't use it at all, a person duck in behind cover hasn't got any advantages over me while i'm running, I can raise my iron sights in a blink of an eye and shoot him right in the face without that much trouble, this was a different story in RO1, where a person's weapon could rest on something and therefore was a lot more accurate and easy to aim with.

What also doesn't really help is the attack/attack scenarios where everybody is running around like madmen so when you get into cover they stab you in the back.

Upvote 0
I am at a total of 46 hours played now and I have to say I went from disliking the cover system to utterly hating it.

Some examples:
I am in a trench and see an enemy, I want to aim out at them, in a game like Crysis 2 I would simply aim down sights and it would simply automatically adjust my height for me (way more natural). In this game I have to make sure I am firmly against the cover I wish to fire from, if I just press ctrl in the middle of a trench I might take cover on the wrong wall, worse yet if someone just died there I might be picking up their C96 pistol instead of taking cover. So after a lot of fiddling I might finally be able to aim out of the trench, BUT guess what?! He has the bead on me already, I am f'ed cuse the system is too god damn slow.

Another example - I want to lean out the side of a building just a little in a crouched position, oh guess what you can't take cover crouched and you can't just expose yourself minimally. Nope you step fully out of cover like an idiot with your chest fully exposed as if asking to be shot. So what do I do? I got back to FPS basics, I sit a bit away from the corner crouched and lean a bit just so only my head is showing. Survivability goes up 500%, the cover system is useless. Also let's not forget that your gun always ends up sticking out of the corner and you get shot through a wall because your character is a moron.

What about taking cover in windows? The worst thing to do would be to be right up against it looking out because you'd have so many angles you could be shot from, but the cover system is capable of only letting you do that. If you want to act like a real person slowly monitoring the situation from each angle you simply need to avoid the cover system.

Also don't get me started on mounted MG's I have wanted to use one so many times but ended up sitting under it crouched instead. What about the MG gunner I want to resupply? The gun I want to pick up? I always end up crouched out in the open stuck to cover as if an epoxy glue was holding me to it. It's SO BAD, it's so f'in horrible, god damn it's an abomination. Also when I found out that you can't actually toss grenades around corners but more like roll them I just quit doing that and do the good old bounce the nade off a wall trick. The cover system is NOT needed, RO1 wasn't broken in how it handled it so there was no need to "fix it". In fact this "fix" simply pisses me off constantly, even after 46 hours it's just as awkward as ever.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I use the cover system often to look around corner. With lean you have to align yourself so you can see the spot you want, otherwise you over expose your self or fall short. Cover makes it quicker.
That's one of the few things I also do that - just peek around a corner but then come out of cover to actually shoot, because otherwise you're a huge target.

Upvote 0
The few times I use cover:

Spartanovka in the trenches. Sometimes on the houses if I'm not concerned with what's beside me and just getting a quick peek.

Barracks, checking the outdoor hallways of the last Russian objective for enemies whilst storming the building. A quick peek without having to wait around to find the right spot to lean sideways comes in handy.

Otherwise, it's suicide. ESPECIALLY if you're using it on a window. Best to stand back in the room and have a much more narrow field of fire than expose yourself to a large field of fire where nearly any enemy you can see in 120 degrees or so can take a crack at you.

Upvote 0
Replying to the OP (only read most of the first page), I do find the cover system to work in the certain predicaments.

Such as, I have gotten maybe 3 kills by blind firing in close quarters (when I had the privilege to use an smg or assault rifle), but more importantly I have been able to keep enemies suppressed when blind firing with a small risk of being fatally hit.

I would like it more if the cover system would let me crouch against high walls too (like in gears of war) as that would make me slightly harder to hit while still giving me the benefit of blind firing, also not exposing me when I Velcro myself (use cover) on a window where I crouch under the window sill then stupidly stand up if I move to the sides.

The cover maybe most useful to me because I added (and use) a controller for this game, although the button setup for manual leaning left and right is possible, it's more convenient for me to just stick with the cover system. But, I do like the cover system for the most part and think it was well implemented, even when I do use a mouse and keyboard,
- C

Last edited:
Upvote 0