• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Am I the only one?

DarthDart

Apr 19, 2011
I love Tripwire and I love Killing Floor. Killing Floor is honestly one of the best solo online experiences I have ever played. What I mean is, I can join a game and for the most part, get things done without having to deal with too much crap from everyone else. That's nearly impossible to do nowadays online with how FPS communities have changed and evolved. I appreciate what you guys do.

There are two big things that hold KF back from being completely perfect for me though. It may just be me, but I hope it isn't.

1. Not being able to see exactly what wave a server is on, or being able to set what wave you would like to join.

This isn't a huge problem, but after 225 hours, joining a game, to see that it is on wave 8, disconnecting instantly and that repeating maybe 3 times before an acceptable game is found, is getting really old now. I've been forced to guestimate approximately how far a game is by the amount of money people have, but with the influx of people from the summer sale, level 6 perks are roaming normal games for some reason. And they cause a definite skew in being able to pinpoint what round the server could be on. Is there ever going to be an honest attempt at rectifying this problem?

2. Port/LAN with friends issues.

My game runs fine with others, but this game seems to go completely dumb when you try and join a game through your friend's list, or even through steam. Sometimes it works (rarely), often times it's "server is not responding" when joining through steam, and joining in game through the friend's tab, a game is not there, regardless of boxes checked below. It's as if the networking for this game is a spoiled child and only wants to work with completely random people online. "OH YOU HAVE FRIENDS TO PLAY WITH MUST BE NICE WELL FORGET THAT I'LL JUST NOT WORK"

Me and my friends both aren't idiots when it comes to networking either. We've changed ports, IPs, fiddled with Mac list allowances, restarted computers, restarted kf, restarted steam. Often then not though, we can get one game in, then it's like the networking for this game dies, and refuses to comply with what you want.

And the LAN is even worse. My network port's always have to be fiddled with every single time, that takes 15 minutes sometimes before the game even hints at wanting to work. Game is up, server is dedicated/listen, no password, other people can join, but the friend next to me literally 5 feet away somehow can't join it. This happens way too much and it's honestly starting to piss me off now. So many nights have been ruined with my friends because of these problems with the networking.

My friend said that the game seems to only run on one port, where multiple other games run on all different types of ports, which is why two steam clients running it or heaven forbid more than two, on the same connection, is why it's so terrible.

Is anyone ever going to attempt to fix this either?

Sorry for the long rant. Also, don't bother asking for router specs, isp specs, etc. We have tried everything and several different connections between friends, all running different modems, routers and isp areas spaced out over 45 to 50 miles. It isn't our networking. It's this games networking. Have their been any honest attempt at fixing this?

My game runs fine with others, but this game seems to go completely dumb when you try and join a game through your friend's list, or even through steam. Sometimes it works (rarely), often times it's "server is not responding" when joining through steam, and joining in game through the friend's tab, a game is not there, regardless of boxes checked below. It's as if the networking for this game is a spoiled child and only wants to work with completely random people online. "OH YOU HAVE FRIENDS TO PLAY WITH MUST BE NICE WELL FORGET THAT I'LL JUST NOT WORK"

Oh and I believe this is caused by non-dedicated servers. If someones hosting a listen server it doesnt show up on steam properly. Im not 100% sure but every dedicated server Ive tried has always worked so...

Upvote 0
Sometimes (or all the time in my case) you can't join a friend's server through Steam unless you join via another friend who is already on the server. This is because for some reason the game reports the server's LAN address, which is useless if you're trying to connect over the internet. The alternative is to either try to find the game in the browser, or enter the IP manually (right-click in the browser window and there's an option for it). Use whatsmyip.net to get your IP address.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sometimes (or all the time in my case) you can't join a friend's server through Steam unless you join via another friend who is already on the server. This is because for some reason the game reports the server's LAN address, which is useless if you're trying to connect over the internet. The alternative is to either try to find the game in the browser, or enter the IP manually (right-click in the browser window and there's an option for it). Use whatsmyip.net to get your IP address.

I second that process. It's a Steam thing and not KF.

As for LAN on a listen server I'm not sure. Never tried that.

Upvote 0
1. Not being able to see exactly what wave a server is on, or being able to set what wave you would like to join.

I think if Tripwire could put in a quick-join that would be fine, tell it to use the filters and randomly join games in round 1, as it seems looking at the score doesn't help much at all.

Also on that same note, a filter for XP enabled games would be great, combine whitelisted maps and no mutators and perks in one.

Upvote 0
part of the reason they dont add the wave thing is so that people dont wave jump to get the achievements (still dont quite see the catch with them) and to prevent overall pissing-every-one-else-in-that-game-off because of the sudden gross total of dosh going down and having to support them too. This is of course mostly at the patriarch when this stuff matters.

Reactions: Spicy
Upvote 0
I'm sorry but I don't understand anything you just said.

Are you defending the fact that you can't tell what wave a server is currently on? I honestly just cannot tell.

What he is doing is suggesting a reason (and a valid one at that) as to why such a feature hasn't been implemented yet.

I'm a fan of the 'can't join past wave x' idea. Although C_Gibby's idea has merit.

Upvote 0