• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

An honest request from an Axis Player.

For the record, I use & prefer the MP40 over the MKB42, as I find the 42 a lot weaker and have to put more rounds into my target than with the MP40.

I've noticed this as well. It's not like the MP-40 is a 1 body shot kill....but using the MKB on single fire, I feel like it takes no less than 2 to 3 shots in the body to kill someone. I've actually shot one guy twice, moved on to the next guy, shot and killed him, then had to go back to the first guy because he's STILL not dead.

Upvote 0
I dont know about you guys, but I like the MKB. I almost always play Russian (due to the MKB fad), and on some maps when I go assault, and I happen upon an MKB (or his soon to be previous owner) I scoop it up, and take up an assault/sniping role. Nothing more enjoyable than using the MKB in Semi-auto mode and sniping Germans moving to the front, is it ironic to kill them with a weapon that some deem OP?

Upvote 0
I disagree. the STG44 actually took some skill to shoot full auto at more than point blank standing.

Personally speaking, I never had an issue.... then again with both the 44 and 42, I usually have them on Semi-Auto and crouch. Yes, the recoil in RO2 is less than it was in RO1, but considering the recoil in all weapons in RO2 have been reduced, that pretty well cancels out and everything is still on a level playing field all things considered.

when supported in the old RO it was as accurate as now. It used to be a gun that was not very noob friendly just because of it's recoil...but now it seems to have much less recoil. I feel thats accurate, since I've shot assault rifles before, but being fair when there is a lot of them around it is not

Well I was going to add to my previous post, but I was on my DSi and it has a character limit.

I'm perfectly fine with having the MKB42 reduced to say 2 on the german team.... maybe 3 tops. That would most likely please everybody on both sides of the argument.

But people have to get to a better maturity level over this, both in-game and out, as calling people n00bs or relating them to players from other games isn't going to solve anything, it makes the community sound childish and the only thing it's going to do is make those people keep using the MKB42 as much as possible just to make the complainers rage-quit.

If someone started raging on me for what I was using in the game, I'd just keep using it and start targeting them more than the rest of their team..... then again, I am a bit sadistic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've noticed this as well. It's not like the MP-40 is a 1 body shot kill....but using the MKB on single fire, I feel like it takes no less than 2 to 3 shots in the body to kill someone. I've actually shot one guy twice, moved on to the next guy, shot and killed him, then had to go back to the first guy because he's STILL not dead.

Exactly... I find in about 2-3 hits with the MP40, and my target is down, if the first shot didn't take them out.

With the MKB42, that same target at the same distance usually takes 3-4 hits before they're no longer a threat.

This is of course, if I don't get a direct headshot from either weapon.

Which is why I prefer the MP40 over the 42. I seem to die more often when I use the MKB42 simply because the guy I filled with lead seem to still be alive and takes me out.

Upvote 0
But why should he use the bolt like he would an automatic weapon? You have to know the weapons strenghts and weaknesses if you want to preform good and the Mkb and a kar 98 should not be used in the same way and the kar should not be as good as the mkb because it was not in real life. Yes, there are to many mkbs out there and I think that it should be much more restricted, just as I think there should be a larger % of bolts... But when the game is made this way and I have bought the special edition of the game and thus am allowed to use it, should I not have the right to use it without being called a noobish cod-gamer?
I knew a post like this would show up. What I suggested was for comparison purposes, because if you do what I said, you'd quickly find out that whatever your playing style is, the mkb can do nearly everything* kar can do, only easier. You can assault with bolt btw, it just takes massive amounts of skill, while with mkb it is easy. And the same applies to any task you could choose.

*except for shooting beyond 200m, which is irrelevant on most ro maps.

mkb, stg44 stuff etc
You are wrong, because the stg-44 in ostfront was an inaccurate uncontrollable mess with random unpredictable recoil, and low damage bullets (compared to rifles). A semi in the hands of a good player would absolutely stomp it. I was difficult to be effective with it. Not that it was realistic, but it was good for game balance. The mkb in ro2 is basically a laser cannon.

Upvote 0
Wah wah wah...I'm an axis player. Who cares if the maps are biased toward my team and if we have unrealistic assault rifles. Please just shut up take it a like a female dog while we jerk off to our unbermensch fantasies.

Wah wah wah, i'm an allies player. Who cares if the maps aren't biased towards any team and if we have equal load outs. Please just shut up and take it like a female dog while we jerk off to our victem complexs.

Upvote 0
TWI has pretty much said that they expect some weapons (tanks, rifles, classes, ect....) to take more skill to play effectively. For example, current tank balance basically means you have to be a BETTER tanker in a T-34 than a guy hopping into a Panzer to win the encounter.

This kind of thinking seems to apply across the board. The Germans are user friendly. They're even the first team you get to play during the SP campaign. Their weapons are intended to be easier to use.

The Russians are there to provide a challenge to experienced players who want to fight against worse odds on maps, use slightly more primitive weapons and generally play the role of the underdog.

It's not fair to say Germans and all their crap are "just for noobs", but they're definitely intended to be the starting army for most people. Everyone that plays Russian does it because they either like Russians period, they like the additional challenge, or both.

Balance is a-symmetrical and I like it, because it gives purpose and definition to each team. Whereas in modern military shooters, devs go to great pains to make sure that everyone is equal in their little schoolyard.

The danger there is that there's not enough reward for choosing to use a more difficult weapon/role/team. If the AVT-40 has better penetration than the SVT-40, that's a good pay for its hellacious recoil and subsequent higher skill threshold.

The MKB, on the other hand, is a much more linear upgrade. I think it's balanced by honestly being weaker than the MP-40, because it sure feels that way. It may spray bullets faster and have single shot, but it comes at a price.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ive taken to playing allies almost exlusively (I pick smallest team) But after the 4th map in a row was apartments I changed to Axis.

The MKb is indefensibly overpowered. Without using it before, I topped the board, with over double the highest Allies. I switched to semi auto mode and It is just a 30 round AVT40 with next to no recoil. It kills in 1 bullet (regardless of what posts above say) and goes through brick walls.

You can claim it reflects reality but it doesn't. About 1 in 400 troops MAY of had one. That means 1 Axis should have one for 1 life. Portraying this unrealisticly is no better than making the PPSH fire lasers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Something does need to be done about it... cause before this gun was included i was having tons of fun on Allied side and lately its just not as fun....and then i join Axis and its like a piece of cake to just steamroll over Allies.

What you just described is exactly what I feel everytime I do use the K98 and a russian with a Ppsh runs in the room.

Upvote 0
It's not fair to say Germans and all their crap are "just for noobs", but they're definitely intended to be the starting army for most people. Everyone that plays Russian does it because they either like Russians period, they like the additional challenge, or both.

Balance is a-symmetrical and I like it, because it gives purpose and definition to each team. Whereas in modern military shooters, devs go to great pains to make sure that everyone is equal in their little schoolyard.

What the hell is asymmetrical balance? One side is better just because? The purpose and definition of the Allies to be shot and amuse the Germans? The Allies moaning is nothing compared to if they removed every rare axis gun and unlock and made them level their gun up to unlock basic features, such as fire select and a magazine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Piles of people in RO:CA & RO1 used the STG44 almost all the time. It's basically the same weapon, yet nobody complained this much about it in either game. They were there, people used them, people countered them.

When comparing the actual game mechanics and design of the previous RO's that had the STG44, there is really no difference between the STG44 and the MKB42, yet I continually saw all these wonderful "RO1 Vets" running around & spamming their little hearts out with the STG44 in every map that had it available.

Yet suddenly these same jokers come along and trash anybody who does the same thing with the MKB42 due to some technicality they hang onto with a death grip.

I'm no grizzled Ostfront vet--only joined the fray in March, though I have put 300 hours into the game. I both faced and fielded the StG many times on Danzig, Odessa, Konigsplatz, Lyeskrovy, and others.

A agree--in RO1 we countered the StG and treated it as a natural threat of the battlefield. We all learned to watch out when emerging from that Odessa forward Soviet spawn for the StG invariably down the street behind the sandbags. We all learned to toss a grenade into the basement of the Command Center to flush out the StG camper, or to advance cautiously into the ruins on the right of Langer in case a German assault rifleman was sitting in the opposite window, sights trained on that infernal doorway.

But back then, the StG differed from the Mkb in three ways. It had excessive, unrealistic recoil in single-shot mode, it did not penetrate walls, and it did not suppress the enemy to anywhere near the same degree.

I'm sure you, like me, put hours into practice servers exploring the intricacies of every Ostfront weapon. I don't know what conclusion you reached, but I never bothered much with the Ostfront StG. Firing it in single shots displaced the barrel unpredictably by about an inch with every pull of the trigger, the sideways recoil in hipfire was dangerously innacurate in close range, and the weapon in general just felt weird.

The Mkb has none of those issues. Of all its traits, I consider suppression to be its greatest asset. A German assault trooper can run blindly into the open on Spartanovka, skid to a halt, then fire three rounds at the Russian rifleman training a bead on him. That rifleman will find his aim off by about two inches, his heart pounding like a taiko drum, allowing his enemy to--while still standing brazenly in the open--adjust his own aim a centimeter and kill the Soviet.

Again, I don't think they're the ultimate weapon. They are, however, a weapons system to be respected--as was intended by design--and giving one team six of them does have an effect on gameplay.

In all modesty and truthfulness, I've clubbed Mkb users to death with a Nagant, impaled them from all angles, sawn them in half with hipfire from a DP-28, blown them to bits with anti-tank grenades, thrown F1s cooked Ostfront-style into their faces, gibbed them with PTRS fire, even chased one off the edge of the third floor of Zab's house to their demise (that was a particularly hilarious incident). I'll flank them, surprise them mid-reload, or crawl on my belly for fifty yards to outflank the specific assault rifleman picking us off out of spawn on Spartanovka. I have plenty of tactics to use against them, but none of them are for use against an Mkb head-on anywhere between ten and 120 yards. And you know what? That's the way it should be. It is a fearsome firearm in that situation, unmatched by anything in the Soviet arsenal.

However, that's not the way taking on Axis assault troopers should be, or how RO2 Soviet gameplay should be with any frequency. If Mkbs were limited to one per German team, I would have no complaints taking cover from its deadly lead and evaluating my options. I'd even get a thrill, a rush of adrenaline, knowing that I'm taking on the rarest, most lethal Axis small-arms weapon.

It's when I find myself in that situation over and over again per match to the point where I sigh and think: shoot--another one of those!

Without much grumbling, I'll deal with the offending assault trooper and move on or die trying. But it becomes mundane, a challenge that has lost all excitement because fifteen seconds after you've killed him on the far right, he's respawned and he's going far right again to take revenge.

I love Red Orchestra too much to "move on if I don't like it." Even if the Mkb remains usable for six Axis players, I'll be playing this game for at least until RS comes out. I wish I'd come across Ostfront sooner, and if RO2 had been slated to come out in 2015, I'd have played Ostfront with enthusiasm until then. And I do enjoy Red Orchestra 2, Mkb and all. Heck, I love being the underdog. However, I think its proliferation has affected the gameplay, and that limiting it would improve the game overall. That's all.:cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Sensemann
Upvote 0
I seriously struggle to find any meaningful difference between MP-40 and the MKB42 when I'm on the receiving end. Maybe I get shot less by the MP40 at +100m, but that's it. As you pointed out, I've killed plenty of people who are wielding the MKB. It's just in those toe-to-toe situations, when you're already dead and you see THAT's the gun that killed you...that you want to sigh.

Upvote 0
But people have to get to a better maturity level over this, both in-game and out, as calling people n00bs or relating them to players from other games isn't going to solve anything, it makes the community sound childish and the only thing it's going to do is make those people keep using the MKB42 as much as possible just to make the complainers rage-quit.
see the problem is, If you watch the obits from kills, you see a lot of MKB kills...so many that it really does seem like the MKB is a kill mill. not saying it is, but it's been a while since I've seen more kills on me from a bolt action than an MP-40, or MKB

Upvote 0
Huge +1 to the OP! Yes, I get tons of kills with the mkb42... but on the flip side I also get tons of kills with the ppsh41. I've taken up just playing whatever side is assaulting and then choosing the assault class. When I mow through the Axis with bursts of ppsh, I NEVER hear one person moan about it being overpowered or blah blah. But when I do the same thing with the mkb42, all I hear is how the gun is OP and I'm a cod kiddie for using it. So ironic that I rarely have trouble against someone with it... Grow up people!

Edit and P.S.- Learn to use the AVT right. It's actually a great weapon!

Last edited:
Reactions: Nikita
Upvote 0
What the hell is asymmetrical balance? One side is better just because? The purpose and definition of the Allies to be shot and amuse the Germans? The Allies moaning is nothing compared to if they removed every rare axis gun and unlock and made them level their gun up to unlock basic features, such as fire select and a magazine.

It means one side gets advantages the other does not. That's the whole theory behind attack and defense maps.

The Russians do not have an awesome, super sexy counter to much of what the Germans have. History is not on their side in this regard and so far, balance hasn't been either. Point in fact, German engineering was freaking awesome and the Russians WERE the underdogs during the war.

Some games do make it a point to have significant differences between sides because they want contrast, and this is one of them. The MKB42 might get a nerf down the line, the T34s may get stronger or the Panzers weaker, but having the sides be different is something that's going to stay true for the game. _I_ do well enough regardless of who I'm playing that I don't mind the differences between the teams or the weapons, and if the Germans have a great weapon that is to be feared, that's all the more reason for me to kill them and take it.

Upvote 0
It means one side gets advantages the other does not. That's the whole theory behind attack and defense maps.

what happens when many of the maps are not attack and defend...but both at the same time? Russians are still expected to cap.

The Russians do not have an awesome, super sexy counter to much of what the Germans have. History is not on their side in this regard and so far, balance hasn't been either. Point in fact, German engineering was freaking awesome and the Russians WERE the underdogs during the war.

History?! You seem to glass over the fact that there were so incredibly few MKB 42's sent to the front that the gun was pretty much a non factor, far from what we see in game. You would find, If you looked, that the Germans have been given the best possible equipment in many situations, and the Russians given whatever was laying the arsenal at the time.

Panzer 4? right...they get the long barreled version, yet 135 Panzer IVs with the L/43 tank gun were around at the time of the summer offensive, and I can't imagine every single panzer 4 was upgraded by the winter.

The P-38? where's the less accurate luger? we have to use the old nagant pistol?

the PPSH? why are we missing the drum mag? when historically there were more PPSH's with drums then there were using the mags!?

add these onto the fact that the Mp-40 is uncannily accurate, the map imbalances, team stacking, prototype assault rifle, serious spawn protection woes and misplacement, and strange Panzer 4 hitbox issues (where are those side lockers under the turret anyways?)...and you get some bad things

Last edited:
Upvote 0