• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Differentiating between Friends and Foes

Ragga

Sep 17, 2011
Ok...

So TeamKilling and accidential TeamKilling does occur; to veterian players out there, could you give some advice - especially to those who may be color blind - how to differentiate between sides.

Is there a button you can push to pull up teammates???
Is there a colorblind option??? (I'm guessing not)

Some additional opinions would be much appreciated, especially from experienced players... thanks in advance!

Don't shoot anyone unless you can answer the following:

1. When they run, do they carry their weapon in both hands, or one?

2. Which direction are they facing? When on the battlefield, you have a pretty good chance of shooting the enemy when they are on the opposite side of the field, aiming at your direction.

3. What color is the uniform? Too dark to tell? See #2

4. What weapon are they shooting. 7 times out of 10 you can accurately assume that the MP40 is being shot by a German. The other 3? Well, sometimes people will pick up the enemy weapons - which can be a great way to confuse the opposing side (i.e. MP40 being shot by a Russian behind German lines)

Upvote 0
Movement. If they are bobbing up and down in places you'd considered "protected" chances are - they're not on your team. That and if you see them on the outskirts of one of your territories, they're probably trying to get around on you. Outside of that, I've gotten a few TK's because it's just hard to tell. Generally it will be in a congested zone with NOBODY else there, and they'll be running out of nowhere facing my direction in a well covered spot. Makes it incredibly difficult to tell at times. I'll usually wait to confirm it, but if they stop and look at me (like they're pointing at me) I pull the trigger usually. That's not a good sign.

That and... check your map first before moving somewhere. If you see no friendlies in the zone ahead before you move up.. fire away.

Upvote 0
Don't shoot anyone unless you can answer the following:

1. When they run, do they carry their weapon in both hands, or one?

2. Which direction are they facing? When on the battlefield, you have a pretty good chance of shooting the enemy when they are on the opposite side of the field, aiming at your direction.

3. What color is the uniform? Too dark to tell? See #2

4. What weapon are they shooting. 7 times out of 10 you can accurately assume that the MP40 is being shot by a German. The other 3? Well, sometimes people will pick up the enemy weapons - which can be a great way to confuse the opposing side (i.e. MP40 being shot by a Russian behind German lines)

correct...but sometimes a teammate, accross the battlefield, behind enemy lines...aims and sometimes shoots in your general direction....and it's nearly impossible to tell whether it's friend or foe...other than that situation though, it's not too hard to tell

Upvote 0
It's almost miniscule at range but you'll notice that the Russian helmet is more rounded.

Anyone that is in an advantageous spot that would be difficult for a friendly player get to depending on the location is almost always an enemy. But I mean a real good spot, not a "This guy crawled his *** 500 meters to get to a good location" because I did that twice today on Fallen Fighters and got TK'd.

Depending on the realism, bring up your map and check for any friendly in that specific area.

Sometimes it's a case of just shooting and hoping for the best.

Upvote 0
I tell players who aren't even color-blind not to rely on color alone to differenciate I-F-F. Learn the differences between the Russian pilotka/helmet from the German stahlhelm. Learn to identify based on silhouette, and any gear that is specific to either force. Look for gasmask gear on the Germans, or anything else (the way they carry their ammunition or stuff like that).

As other people have suggested, look at the way they move, how they carry their weapon, and which direction they are coming from. This last bit can be tricky if you have a teammate that has flanked the enemy and is coming back from the opposite side of the battlefield. To counter this, make sure to check the minimap on servers that have it enabled. Knowing how many friendlies are in a building with you can keep you from shooting at the first thing that comes around the corner.

Also learn how each weapon sounds, if you see a dark shape in a distant window, being able to tell the difference between and Mosin and a K98 goes a long way (again, since frienlies can pick up enemy weapons this last bit isn't a sure fire way to I-F-F)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Like others have said, look at their running stance to tell. Other than obvious physical giveaways, the only advice I have is play enough and you'll get it down easily. The only tks I get now are from failed grenades and stupid teammates who run into artillery after I've told them it's coming.

Upvote 0
Perhaps an icon could appear over teammates when you use the tactical display and they are at a distance where their names don't appear?

That would be fine for Relaxed Realism, but it would defeat the purpose of having friendly names being a server side option. Part of the fun of RO for me is that I have to pay attention and think about things while playing. Sure, I'd love to not get TK'd but those moments of, "Should I shoot? Yup hes a Russian. BAM!" are worth it IMO.

Reactions: Derpus
Upvote 0
Perhaps an icon could appear over teammates when you use the tactical display and they are at a distance where their names don't appear?

There were no magical icons over heads of distant soldiers in WW2.

As others have said, use other cues to figure out who is who. Shape of helmets, their kit (Germans have the grenade handle and different equipment on their back than Russians do), the shape or sound of their weapon, direction they are facing etc.

It gets easier after a while to tell one side from the other.

For those who crawl far and away to find a good position, use your VOIP to let your team know where you are so you don't get TK'ed (or better yet, don't go so far away, as it's likely nowhere near a capzone and is just helping the enemy by you not being where you're needed :rolleyes:)

If after all those factors, you are still in doubt, don't fire until you're sure. That might just be a teamate who is finally broken into the zone and capping and it's better to not fire than to accidentally TK him and not cap.

Upvote 0
As others have said, use other cues to figure out who is who. Shape of helmets, their kit (Germans have the grenade handle and different equipment on their back than Russians do), the shape or sound of their weapon, direction they are facing etc.

[...]

If after all those factors, you are still in doubt, don't fire until you're sure. That might just be a teamate who is finally broken into the zone and capping and it's better to not fire than to accidentally TK him and not cap.

As Slyder (and others) have said, visual cues are the way to tell, though it doesn't always work. I wasn't sure which way someone was facing today, paused for 3 seconds and was mercilessly cut down by an opponent. War is hell.

Reactions: slyder73
Upvote 0
To be honest, my #1 tell on what team a person is on (Unless I can see them running) Is the direction they're facing relative to the 'battle-line'. If I'm facing the opposing side's spawn, then anyone looking away from me I consider friendly, anyone looking at me, I generally shoot at. Just having situational awareness as to where people 'should' theoretically be, will tell you their team 90% of the time. At least, that's how I generally decided friend from foe.

Upvote 0