• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hey Ramm-Jaeger what happened to hero status & MkB42H/AVT40 being rare weapons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well said. I'm more or less sticking around only for the mods that are sure to come eventually. Because it seems like this is the game that TWI wanted to make, which is fine I guess. What's not fine however is marketing it as something else entirely, and the worst part is that there is unlimited potential underneath the layer of bugs and poor design choices. It's an awesome game at its core really, but in its current state it's just not enjoyable for me.

Maybe TWI will come to their senses eventually, or some modders will pick up the ball and give us the experience we want. Either way I'm confident I'll get my moneys worth out of the game sooner or later.

Modders are our only hope...they will have to rip the RO2 heart out of its diseased body and do some major reconstructive surgery

Upvote 0
The issue is that the people who bought this without any questions asked are the long time fans, if the long time fans can't recommend this game to people who aren't familiar with it then the game will inevitably stagnate. I think that's okay though, devs need to understand that consumer loyalty is essential - if you disappoint your base then you will not be successful.
Wow I couldn't have said it any better myself. I'm just highlighting this so as to insure people read it and appreciate this fact.

Reactions: Mafiozo and Leo4444
Upvote 0
I can understand how my posts might come across this way, but please believe me when I say this way off. The funny thing is despite the bugs, performance issues and different mechanics I still do really well at this game, most of the time in the top 5 in any given match (not trying to epeen wave here).

It's just like I said, all the little issues add up to frustrate me and stop me playing. I guess the biggest offender has to be performance though, second to that I'd say the 'you aim and cant fire' bug, that one makes me want to throw my monitor out the window everytime it happens.

Last night is a good example because it started as one of those 'stars aligning' games I mentioned in my previous post. I was playing barracks in the AUS/NZ server as a Russian assault on a team of players who knew what they were doing (eg. not camping, using smoke properly etc). I was leading my side in kills and team points, we had steam rolled the Germans on the first round and just lost to them in the second. In the third round we were winning and were up to the point of attacking the political office. At this point both sides started dropping artillery at the same time and the stuttering got so bad and my fps so dreadful that I just left the game in frustration because it was unplayable.

So the performance issues drive me ape**** more than anything else, I've got a PC that's quite comfortably above all the recommended specs but even if I set the game to lowest it still drops to the low 20's in fps when artillery is falling and the action is heavy. When you add all the other little bugs and balance issues on top I end up with a '**** this' outlook.
In that case, sorry for misinterpreting you.

I do understand the frustration you describe. I believe most long time gamers have gone through the ordeal of a sequel to a beloved game not quite living up to the high expectations one tends to set for it. Tho admittedly, in the eyes of many, RO2 isn't even living up to modest expectations.

That said, as someone who did not play the first RO at all (something which I do regret), I am quite enjoying RO2, despite its shortcomings. Tho I have to say, this is largely due to me just being very hopeful that many of the games current issues will be solved in the not so distant future.

PS! As for your performance issues, have you tried doing a clean reinstall of the game? Deleting all the local content and having Steam re-download and install it did actually help in my case. It's not running nowhere near as well as I had hoped it would, but with a few config tweaks I can get a stable 60 FPS with my system on medium settings (i7 920 @3.5GHz, HD5770, 6GB 1600MHz).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is unfortunately the truth, I have friends who, like me, played RO1 a lot but are quickly losing patience for the multitude of issues + poor design decisions that this game has. The issue is that the people who bought this without any questions asked are the long time fans, if the long time fans can't recommend this game to people who aren't familiar with it then the game will inevitably stagnate. I think that's okay though, devs need to understand that consumer loyalty is essential - if you disappoint your base then you will not be successful.

Exactly how I feel about it. I've been playing RO1 for years and was really expecting better from them.

Upvote 0
I do understand the frustration you describe. I believe most long time gamers have gone through the ordeal of a sequel to a beloved game not quite living up to the high expectations one tends to set for it. Tho admittedly, in the eyes of many, RO2 isn't even living up to modest expectations.

That said, as someone who did not play the first RO at all (something which I do regret), I am quite enjoying RO2, despite its shortcomings. Tho I have to say, this is largely due to me just being very hopeful that many of the games current issues will be solved in the not so distant future.

Sadly it goes well beyond that for many of us, yeah Ro2 is fairly broken right now, bugs, optimization problems, balance issues, there are problems that need to be solved there for sure, and thouse are the problems most of the new meat around here see.

But to a player like me, they are practically a non-issue in this equation, because i know TWI's trackrecord with patches, as in, they actually make them and try to fix stuff, so i'm fairly certain that will get sorted eventually.

No, to me the real problem is that the game has jumped genres, to the point that even if every bug and problem was fixed in a patch later today, i still woulden't play it, because the core of it's gameplay is not fun to me, it has compleately lost what drew me into RO in the first place.

And when i can say that as a rabid fan of RO:CA and RO:Ost, then that should tell you something isen't as it should be for a sequal..

Reactions: Leo4444
Upvote 0
I really have to agree with you. Obviously the devs probably won't read anything I have to say with merit since I'm a long time fan and complainer of issues in RO2, but it has to be said. I have noticed a massive drop off in interest for RO2 with TWI's most loyal fans beginning since July (in my observation) because of all of these issues. Heck, most of the most loyal players I haven't seen post on these forums since before a 6 months ago.

More to the point, my own interest in this game is slowly waning. I'm tired of stuff being debated on this forum with hardly any impact on the final game, and moreover, I'm tired of playing RO2 in its current state -- not just because of the bugs, which I know will be fixed with time, but because of some of the baffling design choices which either go against the RO style of play set up with the mod and first game, or that simply make the game not fun to play. This applies to both game mechanics and weapon variety.

I know I sound like an RO1 fanboy, but honestly I'm not someone that wants RO2 to be just like RO1. I was looking forward to the ways in which the game would improve on the original but keep the core experience there. Instead, what I'm playing is a weird mish-mash of a few good features heavily dampened by design choices that severely reduce my ability to actually have fun while playing. If you want to know specifics, just search for posts by me on these forums going back two years (or longer) and you'll start to get the picture. I'm tired of beating a dead horse.
I wholehearty agree with you.
I too have put all my hope in the moders since TWI has disappointed me in their design choices lately.

Upvote 0
I wholehearty agree with you.
I too have put all my hope in the moders since TWI has disappointed me in their design choices lately.
Same here.
I'm disappointed in TWI coming from RO1. The game is not what it should be from reading the previews.
Why cant TWI get the stats and maps right, and the rareness of the hero and -supposedly- rare weapons? Come on...

Upvote 0
Perhaps the great business plan is to 'simplify' the game mechanics. Then, once it has gained a larger player-base, add things in and raise the level of sophistication back up. New maps that are larger and use troop carriers.

Perhaps... .

I can't see them raising gun sway and lowering accuracy, though. Not after people have spent time and effort levelling up.

Upvote 0
So I guess this is the one thread they left you guys to pour your hearts out huh?

It's strange to me reading all this. I like the game a lot in its current incarnation, and I'm feeling more drawn in with every day. I'm playing at least 3 hours a day now. 4 other people I've introduced to the game dig it, it's different. So far only one of them has been so crippled by crashes that he raged out.

I like it so much I've decided BF3 can wait until after it launches for me to get it. Partly because I don't know if I can take the release and DRM fiasco that's going to be after RO2's release, and two because when I'm doing well in RO2 and people are playing as a team, it ranks up there with some of the best team play experiences and adrenaline rushes I've had. Most of the things that RO fans are hating are adding to my experience. I even like the fact aiming is accurate because it makes the game LETHAL.

It'll be interesting to see how BF3 handles the hype....because man if you think RO2 had a rocky release day...just wait until the BF3 release.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So I guess this is the one thread they left you guys to pour your hearts out huh?

It's strange to me reading all this. I like the game a lot in its current incarnation, and I'm feeling more drawn in with every day. I'm playing at least 3 hours a day now. 4 other people I've introduced to the game dig it, it's different. So far only one of them has been so crippled by crashes that he raged out.

I like it so much I've decided BF3 can wait until after it launches for me to get it. Partly because I don't know if I can take the release and DRM fiasco that's going to be after RO2's release, and two because when I'm doing well in RO2 and people are playing as a team, it ranks up there with some of the best team play experiences and adrenaline rushes I've had. Most of the things that RO fans are hating are adding to my experience. I even like the fact aiming is accurate because it makes the game LETHAL.

It'll be interesting to see how BF3 handles the hype....because man if you think RO2 had a rocky release day...just wait until the BF3 release.
Nenjin, you've been spouting so much praise that I'm starting to wonder if we've been playing the same game. You're acting like a fanboy who refuses to accept that people aren't content with the product they paid for and expected something different than what they got.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No, to me the real problem is that the game has jumped genres, to the point that even if every bug and problem was fixed in a patch later today, i still woulden't play it, because the core of it's gameplay is not fun to me, it has compleately lost what drew me into RO in the first place.

And when i can say that as a rabid fan of RO:CA and RO:Ost, then that should tell you something isen't as it should be for a sequal..
But are the design choices they've made really irreversible? Be it by mods or maybe even TWI themselves (to some extent).

Under the assumption that the performance issues are fixed, the core game mechanics seem rather solid.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.