• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Community Mod Contest

Bashenka

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 5, 2009
Seattle
Since there are already so many mods underway for RO2 I think it'd be an interesting experiment to host an official community modding contest to help create more content for the mods and allow for others to join in on some pre-RO2 fun.

After watching the In Country teaser (for the 30th time :p), I have to say the attention to detail of the environment was amazing and it personally struck a cord with me. I would love to see environments that would bring the mod theaters to life like never before, and what better way than essentially receiving help from freelance modders to create materials for these games and really expand the scale of the mods? For free!

Since In Country: Vietnam and Iron Europe are ATM pre-gameplay (I think), I believe it'd be a neat experiment to host this contest to crank out theater-related content as in 3d models/statics, concept art, custom statics... pretty much anything they need or would like, but don't have the resources to devote to. This would be like creating free candy for the mods... and who doesn't like candy?

I think there would be a lot of people out there who would love to go crazy on creating some custom content, especially those who don't have time to be fully involved in a mod, but have time to make 1 or 2 high quality custom models, artwork, environment art, etc. and are looking for a way to contribute to HOS.

and most importantly, this could help generate more interest in RO2 and its mods. Who's for this?

So to sum things up:

A) Potentially create a lot of unique content for the mods
B) Let the community get in on some of the early modding fun
C) Build up even more publicity for RO:HOS by spreading the word in the modding community at large.

Who's interested?

B) Let the community get in on some of the early modding fun

all said with the best intentions, but anyone wanting to contribute to a mod can approach them anyway i guess, and would most helpful if they had a committment and dedication that would not require the lure of a contest, even if they were only to work on a single project.
Mods also need to distribute work economically and logically, with specific aims and targets, however I think the competition is an excellent idea in the area of mapping, be it for HoS or the mods.

Upvote 0
anyone wanting to contribute to a mod can approach them anyway i guess, and would most helpful if they had a committment and dedication that would not require the lure of a contest, even if they were only to work on a single project.

Well I think the lure of a contest certainly cannot hurt!

Black Mesa: Source held a contest similar to this a while back, and the idea of it really intrigued me. The community seemed really into it, and a lot of cool content was created as a result of it. It got people thinking and excited about the mod, without the need for media updates every week, as they were (in a way) providing their own media updates by seeing each other's content.

Upvote 0
Well I think the lure of a contest certainly cannot hurt!

Black Mesa: Source held a contest similar to this a while back, and the idea of it really intrigued me. The community seemed really into it, and a lot of cool content was created as a result of it. It got people thinking and excited about the mod, without the need for media updates every week, as they were (in a way) providing their own media updates by seeing each other's content.

What did they offer as prices/reward?

Upvote 0
What did they offer as prices/reward?

Not exactly sure if they did offer prizes, aside from knowing that they would possibly make it in-game. They still got a ton of high-quality submissions, however. Here's the Black Mesa site.

http://www.blackmesasource.com/community.html

Lots of the projects are silly, but have nonetheless churned out some pretty creative stuff.

Upvote 0