• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Blind-Firing

You do understand this is a video game at the end of the day. There are always numbers involved and I'm obviously speaking from a game play stand point and essentially the parameters of how this feature has been programmed.

OK, now I see what you are saying. Firstly, there is no "deviation" like you get in the BF series. The bullet follows correct ballistics: if you take an aimed shot correctly, it will go exactly where you aimed.

There is no random offset used to simulate stuff like shaking or moving added to the path of the bullet. How it works is the game makes the bullet fly the way a real one would, but then makes the gun move so you can't always tell exactly where it is aimed, just like real life.

So in the case of blind firing, the bullet always follows the exact ballistic path from muzzle to impact - you simply can't tell exactly where the muzzle is pointing, you can't see the target and thus have no idea how to adjust your fire, and thus any shot is a wild-assed guess, and as such is always totally inaccurate, because it is unaimed.

I understand what the definition of blind firing is and the results that entail. Your replies are just ad hominem now and I won't bother explaining myself again.
I wasn't trying to be rude. I simply could not understand how an inaccurate shot could get LESS ACCURATE. Now I see that what you were really asking is how does RO2 handle ballistics, and I can tell you that it is nothing at all like most FPS games.

All I was doing was nurturing the topic for further discussion and just delving a bit into the hard code of said feature, but it turned into something else apparently.
As I said, I apologise that I seemed rude, I wasn't trying to. It just seemed like one of those questions that hadn't been thought through properly.

Blind firing is by definition inaccurate. There is no artificial inaccuracy added by the game because there doesn't need to be. You can't see the target, you're not aiming at it, and as such you have no accuracy at all.

Even if the game did add some sort of deviation, because you're not using a sight to actually aim at a target, you would never know how accurate you had been. So adding code to make the shot less accurate would be totally pointless.

Upvote 0
OK, now I see what you are saying. Now I see that what you were really asking is how does RO2 handle ballistics, and I can tell you that it is nothing at all like most FPS games.

As I said, I apologise that I seemed rude, I wasn't trying to. It just seemed like one of those questions that hadn't been thought through properly.

Blind firing is by definition inaccurate. There is no artificial inaccuracy added by the game because there doesn't need to be. You can't see the target, you're not aiming at it, and as such you have no accuracy at all.

Even if the game did add some sort of deviation, because you're not using a sight to actually aim at a target, you would never know how accurate you had been. So adding code to make the shot less accurate would be totally pointless.

Okay, see now that's a post I respect. :)

I've played RO long enough and understand the ballistics. My prior posts were just a bit of wonder I posted to ponder on and nurture the discussion because this is one of the more unique features being added to RO (it wasn't really a personal question of me asking forum peers).

As you can see all of us (including you and I) here prelude to the fact that the ballistics will just carry on to this feature no different then it would be under any other circumstances.

It adds quite a lot to the approach of movement, fire and position now. Looking forward to the elements it'll present in the field.

Upvote 0
No, I am NOT missing the point. Follow me here: Blind firing means putting the gun around or over something and randomly spraying in the general direction of the bad guys. How can you tell how accurate you are being if you are not actually even aiming? Yes, the bullets left the gun in the general direction of the enemy, and because that is how you were aiming it, it was 100% accurate.

What we know is this game does not use fake ballistics like BF where there is a deviation added to the aimed shot to simulate inaccurate fire. In this game the bullet goes where the muzzle is pointing. If you don't know where the muzzle is pointing, you don't know where the bullet will go, and thus have NO ACCURACY AT ALL.

Seriously, how hard is this to understand? You're not aiming so you are not accurate, period. There is no "more or less" accurate. The bullet goes exactly where it is pointed every single time - with blind firing you simply do not know where it was pointed.

Yes, but wither the weapon is shouldered or blind-fired there should be some sort of deviation ( especially auto-weapons ) unless at short range.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There will be recoil and muzzle climb which effect your ability to aim. The bullets still go exactly where the muzzle is pointing, but things like recoil effect where the muzzle will go. There will be "deviation" but it wont be in the form of something like a hit-scan cone of fire that some FPSs do. From the videos it appears the recoil is harder to control in blind-fire.

Upvote 0
No, I am NOT missing the point. Follow me here:

Yes, you are. He was asking if accuracy of the weapon is artificially reduced when blind firing. If you have played BF2, think of the spread the M249 gets when not looking down the sights. It is increased by a large amount... where the spread is about 5-7 feet when you are at a distance of 30 feet from your target.

From what we know this is not the case in RO2. To his question, the answer is no. End of discussion.

Though I would imagine it would be harder to compensate for recoil when shooting sideways over your head... so when shooting full auto your guns should move around more and be harder to control. In the Russian SP video the Mosin that is shot sideways over the players head doesn't seem to recoil more than when it was shouldered. It would be nice if they fixed that.

Then again, I never shot my rifles sideways over my head so I can't really comment on how different the recoil is.

Upvote 0