• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Russia claims North Pole

That's a conflict for Tripwires next game!:p
Underwater infantery combat would be even slower paced than RO and the shellspeeds for Underwatertanks would be spot on as they are now!
We would even get similar threads on the forums:
Bomb-Dogs ^= Torpedo-Dolphins
But no one would have to worry about his bloom washing out the colors because its underwater anyway!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I honestly don't see how they're going to defend this in court under UNCLOS. It's really a pretty shaky position ... If anything, Denmark appears to have the best claim to the geographic north pole.

Traditionally, when two nations' EEZ's or territorial waters limits interfere with each other - take for instance the Straits of Juan De Fuca, between Washington state and British Columbia - they are divided straight down the middle at a point equidistant from each nation's shoreline, so that half the water belongs to one, and half belongs to the other.

The Northern tip of Greenland appears (from my map - 1954 Brittanica World Atlas) to be closer to the North Pole than any Russian territory. But, maybe there's been some new land springing up since 1954 that I don't know about ...

Anyway, dividing the territory on the north pole between the nations that own land north of the Arctic Circle according to UNCLOS, I'd say Denmark gets the actual Geographic north pole, and Russia gets some stuff close to it, but not -on- it.

I don't think Russia is gonna back down from their claim, though. They've made it very public already, and it'll be a matter of national prestige to keep forcing the issue.

Upvote 0
Hint - the North Pole and the South Pole are actually FSB codenames for Jarosław and Lech Kaczyński. The North Pole has been claimed. Next in the line is South Pole's bottom. And damn right the FSB is going to stick a flag up his rolls.

A classic whodunit turned whydidtheydoit.

Upvote 0
...Only that this time, it's not about which ideology will prevail, but who will control the world's access to resources and energy.
Sooner or later that's what it will boil down to. If you think the empire-building wars of the 18th and 19th centuries were bad just wait until some politician realizes there's no ice for his martini because another nation holds the oil and gas used to generate electricity.

Russia is just proving that they're farsighted enough to ensure their drinks stay cold.

Upvote 0
Law of the Sea is based on Res Communis instead of Res Nullis so I think they're totally out of line doing this - its way beyond their 200 nautical mile limit.

The 1996 revisions to UNCLOS allow for the 200 nm EEZ to be redrawn based on the continental shelf. That's the legal fiction they're using to do this - that their shelf extends to include the north pole. However, since the LOMO ridge extends out to reach North America, it opens things up for Canada and Denmark (via ownership of Greenland) to get into the mix.

Upvote 0