• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Am I really the only one who hates tanks?

Oh I see the POTENTIAL for good tank use on Koenigsplatz, just like I see the POTENTIAL for good tank use on Arad. It doesnt' change the fact that the maps can both be played with about as boneheaded a strategy as you please (whereas maps like Berezina basically REQUIRE good teamwork or else you're screwed).

Upvote 0
what i really hate is that the turret of a tank is just a part of the hull when it comes to penetration.
you can try this on this rangemaps. its no problem to penetrate the turret of the is2 with a tiger if the is2s hull is not angled, but if the hull is angled its impossible to penetrate it. it doesnt matter what side of the turret you shoot or in which angle the bullet arrives in the turret. the only thing that matters penetrationwise is the positio of the hull.
that is not a engine limitation or something like that. in the armored beasts mutator for example it works how it should. the turret is rotating and it matters how you hit it. you have to angle ur is2 turret between shots or they can panetrate u.

Upvote 0
Koenigsplatz is a fun map but it's hardly what I'd call a combined arms map. For the most part, the tanks on that map are an afterthought. It's pretty much an infantry map with a few tanks, much like Hedgehog.

Honestly, the best combined arms maps are custom maps. It doesn't get any better than Berezina, to my way of thinking. Merely putting a tank on a map doesn't magically turn it into a combined arms map. Combined arms means that the infantry, armor, and halftracks have to coordinate their actions. Koenigsplatz CAN work that way, but you can just as easily ignore the tanks altogether.

Of the official maps, I'd say the best combined arms maps are Bondarevo and Rakowice.

yes. Even "pariser platz" which is similar to k

Upvote 0
I kind of feel like the lack of cooperation is ruining the tank maps. Team tanking is amazing, it's when everyone goes on their own that things become static and boring. Everyone just has to have their own tank, even if it's the most powerful one on the team that would be a massive tide-turner with a good crew. Your average solo tanker is apparently not above throwing a baby tantrum when he doesn't want you in his turret, even if there are no other tanks available they will often just drive in circles until you leave.

With everyone solo tanking, it basically becomes a lame camp-fest in which the team that wins the initial fight then sets up in good positions and murders each and every enemy that tries to approach. Arad is the worst when it comes to this due to the "tree walls" that people can camp behind.

A well coordinated pair in a tank can absolutely dominate. Even if you get stuck with a newbie gunner, I find they can be quite useful with even a little instruction, like, "press keypad 5 when you see an enemy tank". With a partner, a whole myriad of complex maneuvers become possible, like negating the enemy's defensive angle, or -gasp- actually flanking!

If only people would learn to be patient with their teammates...

As for things that the dev team can actually change, just fix the instant exiting and absurd T-34 (I mean cmon', side armor deflecting perfectly perpendicular StuG III shots at less than 200m? Happened on tractorworks a few days ago) and I'll be happy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I kind of feel like the lack of cooperation is ruining the tank maps. Team tanking is amazing, it's when everyone goes on their own that things become static and boring. Everyone just has to have their own tank, even if it's the most powerful one on the team that would be a massive tide-turner with a good crew. Your average solo tanker is apparently not above throwing a baby tantrum when he doesn't want you in his turret, even if there are no other tanks available they will often just drive in circles until you leave.

That is so damn true for some people ...

I really dont get it. There are just a few tanks left in the spawn, and some guy drives your tank in to a mine-field, just cause he isnt "alone" in it anymore ... do this people fear "team work" so much in the game that they have to kill everyone :confused: ... seriously I dont get it.

I wish there would be a REAL punishment for the lone-tankers, like dealay in switsching positions etc. I like to drive with the tank alone somtimes. BUt hell since I enjoy it more to SHARE the vehicles i would love so much to blast this lone tankers that play in a lame style away.

Upvote 0
I like combined arms maps better, the ones like Arad are fun allthough I will rarely crawl in a tank without a friend in the driver seat or at the main gun because it is very hard to succesfully drive a tank with a random guy.

I have much more fun being a combat engi in those maps, hopping into a clowncar and just racing towards tanks as decoy to save our own tanks from a couple of rounds or either to hop out next to them and throwing my satchels at them ^^

German anti tank class is fun too but takes alot less skill and after a year of playing i have never gotten a kill with the russian anti tank rifle, beats me but i just cant figure out how to kill tanks with it o_O

Upvote 0
Gwah.

I personally dislike Arad because of the solo tankers. They piss me off to no end. Even when I hop in a tank while they're taking potshots and I don't move an inch, they go nuts and yell at me to gtfo their tank.

When teamwork happens though, it's amazing. I got someone to hop in a IS2 with me one time on an Arad game and we and another tank flanked most of the heavy German tanks dominating the south field.

I also remember the best BDJ game ever played about a month ago (it's in the "What's your favorite moment in RO" thread). We were Russians, who naturally lose that map because of the obscene time limit, and simply went differently; we TT'd and came smashing out directly behind their advance from the forest and destroyed about 20 heavy and med. tanks that way with about 3-4 of our deaths. If it weren't for my tank gunner we would not be able to hit and run them as fast. We won, by the way. :eek:

Upvote 0
I think most people are against team tanking because they've had bad experiences with an idiot driver who didn't listen or whatever. Personally, IF I get the sense that the other person is gonna team up well, I'll team with them. Otherwise, then yeah, go find your own tank and leave me alone. I don't need you screwing up my aim, driving me to bad positions, etc. I think most people who tank feel the same way. They love GOOD teamwork, but BAD teamwork in a tank makes it just an unbearable nightmare.

Upvote 0
I think most people are against team tanking because they've had bad experiences with an idiot driver who didn't listen or whatever. Personally, IF I get the sense that the other person is gonna team up well, I'll team with them. Otherwise, then yeah, go find your own tank and leave me alone. I don't need you screwing up my aim, driving me to bad positions, etc. I think most people who tank feel the same way. They love GOOD teamwork, but BAD teamwork in a tank makes it just an unbearable nightmare.
I removed the [TT] from my nick because of bad team players. But I will still [TT] with a good crew.

Upvote 0