• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Key to Kills is tweaking

In the FPS world, you have aimbots, which automatically aim your gun at the enemy. In real life, an equivalent would be something that allowed you to always throw a catch-able pass to the correct receiver regardless of circumstances. Something that -directly- improves your skills.

Aimbotting is actually much worse. It is beyond skill. There is no humanely possible response you can put up against aimbots. It almost completely bypasses any meaningful interaction from the competing player.

Aimbotting equivalent in sports would be like... paying off the referees and ruling committees to ensure that you will win.

Steroid equivalent would be like aim assist (when nobody else have it) that helps you with headshots? Or taking Ritalin to help you focus when you don't have valid medical reason to take one? :(

Does everyone remember the glowing Russian bug we had not so long ago? ;)

Upvote 0
regarding that, every player in the ladder im running is running the same settings as me, so really, there is no unfair edge, as we all have the same visibility.. which is what all these daddy gamers don't seem to understand, the guys competing in the ladder im doing was thankfull for such a thing, so i thought id share it with EVERYONE, and got whinged at... i actually thought people would like such a thing. i know some people wouldn't like it.. but just because they don't and won't use it, doesn't make it cheating, they just choose to play with a disadvantage.

The options are in the game, so players have every right to change them to what they feel comfortable with, tbh default made my eyes sore, i had to squint to see an enemy and it just wasn't an enjoyable experience, now that i can actually see, im enjoying the game, its not really giving me an advantage, i still kill and capture objectives as much as i did before, it just makes the game more enjoyable.

people need to realize, in real competition ladders, not these friendly ones that some sites host (except ROLadders), visibility in a game is everything, otherwise the game won't take off, and everyone will go back to the same old crappy cod/cs type games, thats what its like over here in AU, hence why i made such a config, so the game can live competitively here.

yes there are some here that are friendly, but the site im on, is an e-sport site, so such things have to be done because players are that picky, and as i've mentioned countless times, i don't use the config in public servers, as i respect people that are playing for the experience and the atmosphere. (i only turn off stuff like bloom and motion blur for pub, the rest is default)

Alright, alright. I see your point. There's a big difference between e-sports and realism matches, I suppose.

It's not something I would ever partake in, though. It reeks of bad sportsmanship and overly competitive gaming.

Reactions: SiC-Disaster
Upvote 0
as long as everybody says gg at the end, its not bad sportsmanship, we may be doing a shoutcasted showcase tournament to get RO2 more known over the next week or two, i may post it here for people to see.. im guessing you'd rather watch a competitive RO2 match than play in one :p

i also guess i should have explained in my thread what i typed above that you quoted. :p

Upvote 0
as long as everybody says gg at the end, its not bad sportsmanship, we may be doing a shoutcasted showcase tournament to get RO2 more known over the next week or two, i may post it here for people to see.. im guessing you'd rather watch a competitive RO2 match than play in one :p

i also guess i should have explained in my thread what i typed above that you quoted. :p

I'd rather do neither, to be frank. Watching other people play video games is dull as watching grass grow.

But there's a reason TF2 is my favorite shooter ever, and, quite simply, it's the utter lack of competition on the servers. People don't cheat, or use exploits, or try to tweak to be more effective. Everyone is just there to have a good time, even in more serious matches. The lightness of tone in the game, I suppose. I just hate the kind of -anything to win- attitude that seems so prevalent on a lot of other shooters.

Upvote 0
turn off shadows
turn off blur
just about turn off everything

so you can see

if winning and kills is the point
then tweaking is a most

Actually the key to killing is positioning.

If you can't see the enemy clearly, move. Stop thinking you are a sniper god, and do what you are MEANT to do: Close with and kill the enemy.

Note "Close with" comes first.

Still, tweaking helps if that's your thing. So you're not wrong. It's just that it seems weird to me that anyone would buy a realistic tactical shooter... then make it less realistic so they don't have to use tactics.

What's the point of that?

Upvote 0
Still, tweaking helps if that's your thing. So you're not wrong. It's just that it seems weird to me that anyone would buy a realistic tactical shooter... then make it less realistic so they don't have to use tactics.

and, i liked the look of RO1, RO2 looks different in every way, i could see perfectly on RO1 with max settings.. i don't know why they made it so dark and gloomy for RO2..

and believe me, there is still tactics :p

Upvote 0
You realism guys sure are mad, you know you can turn down the settings too if you want, you know you wont get banned for it ?

Oh, you want your game to be nice and pretty ?

Gaming isn't all about graphics, you know, there's no need to be so shallow.

Don't be a dick, it has nothing to do with pretty. If I'm hiding in the shadows, I expect those shadows to conceal me from everyone, not just the people playing properly.

Reactions: DeviantChild
Upvote 0
You realism guys sure are mad, you know you can turn down the settings too if you want, you know you wont get banned for it ?

Oh, you want your game to be nice and pretty ?

Gaming isn't all about graphics, you know, there's no need to be so shallow.

Why buy a REALISTIC TACTICAL shooter, and then make it UNREALISTIC so you don't have to use TACTICS?

That's like buying a Veyron and then fitting it with a 2 cylinder diesel engine so that it doesn't go too fast. If you want an arcade shooter, go play an arcade shooter. It will work better and the people around you won't look at you funny.

Upvote 0
and believe me, there is still tactics :p

That's what they all say... but I rarely see it in game.

Hiding in a shadow is not a tactic. Sitting a mile away and hoping you hit things, is not a tactic.

How to FIND and DEAL WITH the guy sitting in the shadows a mile away involves tactics. For example, one member of the unit might semi expose himself simply to get the sniper to fire at him while the rest of the unit watches for the flash, smoke, dust or whatever to pinpoint him. Or the unit may simply bypass the area altogether, if not being slowed down is more important than killing every enemy you see.

THAT is what I meant about tactics. Changing game settings to make it easier to see him, or hit him when you do see him, is just lame.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Key to kills = skills.
Tweaking is for people who need something to get an edge over better players.
I only turned off Depth of Field because i think it is unrealistic (when i look at my ironsights, the area on the screen around it automatically blur because you arent directly looking at it, but what if i want to look around my ironsights? I have to go OUT of ironsights to do that with DOF on, which is unrealistic), but other than that i want to run everything as high as i can.
And i end up on top of the scoreboard pretty much every match, using a bolt action rifle fitted with a bayonet.

You won't see me ditching shadows, grass or other crap just to be competitive, which is utter bull****.
Other people are learning to deal with it, why cant you? It's not like we are all some AI that can see through grass, so why should you?
If you seriously do this in public play or even clanplay, you dont even deserve my bullet in my honest opinion, all you'll get is cold steel to the guts.

Reactions: Minstrel
Upvote 0
I'm playing at 1920x1200 with everything on ultra except for post-processing, and with all the post processing effects like blur turned off. I've also forced 16x antistropic filtering and would force 8xq CSAA if it didn't break the menus. I've got the horsepower to run CSAA instead of either of the two compromise modes (FXAA and MLAA), and I wish like hell Tripwire would let me do it. It doesn't blur moving lines like the other two modes do, and makes it easier to pick out enemies beyond 100m without using the gawdawful zoom.

Post processing is like vaseline smeared on a lens. Its only there to make everything look soft and hide the flaws. Sure it can add some neat effects, but after a while it just gets boring and hard to look at. Besides, RO2 has such NICE high quality textures. Why do you need to hide them behind blur and DoF crap?

tl;dr: I wish PC game and video card developers would keep pushing up texture resolution, filtering, and real antialiasing instead of using post processing tricks that are necessary for the eight year old consoles.

Upvote 0