• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Where have the Sharp Shooters gone?

If you dont hit the head constanly, why play sharpshooter? If you cant hit the head constanly, you cant do a damn thing to the scrake even if you are using an xbow.

Axe or LAR the scrake to the head give you and your teamate ~10 seconds to clear those crawlers and clots around him. And if you can still find the head after the scrake is stuned (working on finding the new hitbox myself), he will die faster than you think. Not to mention support can also shoot the zeds behind the scrake without worrying of the scrake suddenly charge.

A not raging scrake is SLOW and are not dangerous at medium to long range. It dont really required to kill him right after he shows. A husk or siren, however, is more of an issue to the team. Also, it is your teamate's job to make sure nothing gets in your way to kill the scrake if you are a berserker / sharpshooter. If you get surrounded when you try to kill the scrakes, your teamates fail. Not you. You keep big guys from them, they keep smalls from you, that's the deal.

That is my point. While the Scrake can't do anything at long range neither can most of the other zeds. It has a ton of hp and even a lvl6 Zerker will take a bit of time to hack it to pieces, and if the Scrake spawned far away and wandered in close but spawn points exist nearby also, its not unlikely for say, a Siren or Husk to walk round the corner while the Scrake is obscuring things. Its just not practical on maps like BioticsLab or Offices or even WestLondon where a Scrake in the entranceway significantly reduces the area you can see out of.

As you said, working on finding the new hitbox. Hitting the head isn't a problem for me and i'm sure many others will say the same, but the hitbox for a Stunned Scrakes head is very weird and i'm having trouble finding consistant answers (my latest idea is roughly to the left of his actual head). Sirens also have a really weird head hitbox and always have done. If you don't hit the head over and over with the Fire Axe the Scrake will hurt you. With the LAR/M14 you are already dead. With the Xbow it seems better to wait a moment for it to charge then shoot it again and you can do that well out of range.

The Xbow just has less versatility. It still remains the best SS weapon for killing Scrakes, Husks, Sirens and FPs before they become a threat on harder difficulties.

Upvote 0
That would be A-M-A-Z-I-N-G, but I highly doubt such a command exists.

I also have a frustrating time finding the headshot hitbox of a stunned scrake, but unlike you, my experience has lead me to believe the hitbox is above and to the RIGHT of the scrake's head (from my perspective).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sharp Shooter is necessary on Hell on Earth. Played two games of HoE last night, once as a LAW Master and once as an AA12 Beast Machine. With the LAW I could handle everything except Scrakes, it takes like 3-4 rockets to kill a single Scrake with the LAW, which is a massive ammo waste when there is 6 or so in a single round. Same thing with the AA12, I would have to dump 20 shells and both barrels to take one down. No way I have enough ammo as either class to take down all the Scrakes as well as the Fleshpounds.

SS can solo Scrakes on HoE without wasting much ammo at all and can make taking FPs down require much less ammo for Support or Demo.

Upvote 0

Normal? On Normal difficulty all you need is a 9mm and LAR. I can solo a 5-6 man FP with a LAR off perk on normal. I am talking about difficulties that require team work to win;Suicidal and Hell on Earth. That's when any short comings become blatant with the Sharp Shooter class.

I do however enjoy the occasional romp on normal in PUBs. I like to show team work to noobies through my actions. Usually by wave 6 long game, everyone is healing each other and giving as needed. All without having to say anything. Simply leading by example.

Upvote 0
A good sharpshooter is just as important as a good commando on hard/suicidal imo. And right now, I usually see at least 1 sharp in full public servers. In fact, nearly every server has 1 of each perk. It's rare for there to be 3 of anything. Last night I played a ton of games, everyone doing a different job even though some were low leveled.

THIS IS A GOOD THING.

We don't want half our team being "designated FP/Scrake instakills" while the other half are trash clearers.

And yeah, some people mentioning that they have full games of sharpshooters, or 3 in one room.. that happens. You're playing on Normal public games, with stupid/stubborn/ignorant people who don't know any better. I s'pose that's a little redundant but still - I join plenty of servers where there are multiple medics, berserkers, support, etc. Sharpshooter is played just as often as the other ones.

Upvote 0