• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Flamethrower alt button!

While I wouldn't mind an alt-fire for the flamer, a fire extinguisher to delete fire would be so rarely used it it would be worthless. The syringe has the exact same result.

How about making it so that healing someone doesn't have the same result :)

Nah I've always liked the idea of a extinguisher in KF for the whole team based thing. Extinguishing players on fire from husks would be a useful tool when 3 or 4 people are hit at once.

My only issues really are: -
- Mounting on the FT seems a little peculiar, given that a flamethrower isn't normally desinged with "undo" in mind.
- Having a seperate item means having a weight, which becomes a pain.
- Having a spereate item invokes a cost, and this largely seems a Firebug item... but how on earth do you price such a thing? It can't be stupidly expensive because that would be silly, and it can't really be cheap otherwise its not really a Firebug item.

It would seem forced to add it. I would like to see it, but making it feasible/believable is another story.

Upvote 0
How about a 0-1 kg medic "weapon" (think modified and shrunk fire extinguisher) that will put out players set alight by a husk or FF and do healing on a small scale. Have it work from a separate energy pool from the syringe and MP7 and drain perhaps a little faster than the flamethrower. Recharge speed could be ~ to drain.

In keeping with the trend set by the MP7 and armor have it cost roughly 50,000 quid off-perk but only 50-60 DOSH for the medic.

Thoughts?

Edit: As a sidenote perhaps make it help alleviate the bloat bile effect as a sort of damage control principle? Not really sure about this one.

Upvote 0
In the past I've suggested an alt fire that does reduced damage but slows down incoming specimens. This way the firebug has some use against scrakes and fleshpounds but is not "overpowered" since he still can't solo them in a traditional sense.

Problem with an extinguisher is I can't see it being used too much. Husk fire damage really isn't too threatening unless you're below 10 health or so and a simple heal can usually do a good enough job of taking care of this.

Though I wouldn't be completely against lowering the damage of husk rockets and increasing the afterburn. This would have to be tested first and might be a terrible idea. ;)

Upvote 0
How about making it so that healing someone doesn't have the same result :)

That would only happen if that player had armor when hit. An extinguisher would prevent the loss of armor. If the player doesn't have armor, then the syringe replacing the health loss would do the exact same thing as an extinguisher stopping health loss.

While somewhat cool, the extinguisher would be used so little that it would be useless. It takes up a valuable weapon slot (alt fire) but it is only useful if

1) The player has a significant amount of armor
2) A player has to be hit
3) The height difference bug in getting hit with a fireball
4) There is a firebug in the game

Add in that a husk makes up maybe 3% of the total number of specimens in the game.

I think there would be even less of a case to be made if the extinguisher was a whole separate "weapon."

That rarity of the situation where the extinguisher would possibly be useful instead of the syringe doesn't really exist.

Upvote 0
That would only happen if that player had armor when hit. An extinguisher would prevent the loss of armor. If the player doesn't have armor, then the syringe replacing the health loss would do the exact same thing as an extinguisher stopping health loss.

While somewhat cool, the extinguisher would be used so little that it would be useless. It takes up a valuable weapon slot (alt fire) but it is only useful if

1) The player has a significant amount of armor
2) A player has to be hit
3) The height difference bug in getting hit with a fireball
4) There is a firebug in the game

Add in that a husk makes up maybe 3% of the total number of specimens in the game.

I think there would be even less of a case to be made if the extinguisher was a whole separate "weapon."

That rarity of the situation where the extinguisher would possibly be useful instead of the syringe doesn't really exist.

now I get what you ment.

but seriously a healing fire extingusher :O that sounds awfull. but after reading your other ideas. I still think that a alternative button for the flamethrower is best.

where the flamthrower shoots it regular ammo. just dont egnite the gass, which will kill the flames instead of making them bigger because the oxygen dont come through to the flames!

Reactions: Lacedaemonius
Upvote 0
where the flamthrower shoots it regular ammo. just dont egnite the gass, which will kill the flames instead of making them bigger because the oxygen dont come through to the flames!
So you suggest smothering a fire with highly inflammable gas ? Most interesting ...

I suggest some modder ports the ability to extenquish fire by pissing on it from Postal 2.
No additional equipment needed, no perk requirement, all natural.
Alternatively, 6 players can circle a Fleshpound and piss on him till he gets mad and pounds them into oblivion.

Reactions: Blockbot
Upvote 0
now I get what you ment.

but seriously a healing fire extingusher :O that sounds awfull.

I think you are misunderstanding me. The extinguisher doesn't heal a player but it has the same effect as the syringe.

Player at a certain health -> gets hit with fireball and starts to burn -> another player uses extinguisher and stops the damage -> player takes little or no damage

Player at a certain health -> Gets hit with fireball and starts to burn -> another player heals him -> burning damage and healing syringe cancel each other out -> player takes little or no damage and depending on the healer can actually gain health

In KF, there is one type of damage. Burning, penetration, slashing, sonic, and chemical do the same damage. Syringe heals them all the same.

The only time the syringe wouldn't equal the extinguisher is if the player has armor. Fire has to go through the armor first.

But like I said, for the extinguisher to be effective and take up a valuable attack a very specific situation has to occur

1) Husk in the game
2) Player gets hit with the fireball (don't forget how many elite players say they never get hit with the fireball and someone has to be doing something wrong if the get hit. I get hit all the time)
3) Player has to have a significant amount of armor
4) Firebug has to be in the game

All of those criteria have to be true before an extinguisher is better than the syringe.

I see someone has already pointed out the folly of spraying flammable liquid on a fire to put out the flame.

Upvote 0
I suggest some modder ports the ability to extenquish fire by pissing on it from Postal 2.
Alternatively, 6 players can circle a Fleshpound and piss on him till he gets mad and pounds them into oblivion.

LMAO :D
that is exactly what i was thinking when i read this:

How would you use the extinguisher on yourself then?

KF needs an "unzip" button

seriously though, it's not that bad an idea imo. it could be used to help shorten the blinding effect of the husk fireballs. or you could extinguish an accidentally flamed scrake or fp before they rage. also sometimes the fb has little choice but to spam. theres nothing i hate more in this game than a flame-spammer, but sometimes it needs to be done. it'd be nice to be able to put out the flames when you've used too much.

Upvote 0
So you suggest smothering a fire with highly inflammable gas ? Most interesting ...

hehe :) naaaah I just though about diesel. you can infact tak out small flames out with diesel. since diesel need to get warmed up to 60celcius before you can egnite it. so if you have a tank of cold diesel and egnite a lighter and dip it in the diesel it wont egnite the diesel.

I thought there was some gass had the same effect :) like diesel had.

Upvote 0
it's not that bad an idea imo. it could be used to help shorten the blinding effect of the husk fireballs. or you could extinguish an accidentally flamed scrake or fp before they rage. also sometimes the fb has little choice but to spam. theres nothing i hate more in this game than a flame-spammer, but sometimes it needs to be done. it'd be nice to be able to put out the flames when you've used too much.

as much as i like the idea of being able to put out zeds with the alt fire flamer, i think it'll make it a bit too easier. i personally think it should be usable on teammates only, to put them out, like in TF2, where the pyro is able to put out burning teammates and save them from burning damage. much more faster and effective then the syringe.

Upvote 0
Nah I've always liked the idea of a extinguisher in KF for the whole team based thing. Extinguishing players on fire from husks would be a useful tool when 3 or 4 people are hit at once.

Ofc the spiteful part of me thought "Whats the point? No Firebug will ever be anywhere near the 4 other Zerkers and the Medic anyway" :D

Upvote 0