• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Question] router recommendations

DanMaksim

Jul 13, 2011
I have a Netgear WGR614 router (firmware v9).

Refreshing the server list in RO2 makes the router choke. If I quickly click the "Favorites" tab so that only a few servers are refreshed, sometimes I'll be OK... but getting replies from a bunch of servers at once kills my internet. This also happens for the server browser in steam games like TF2, but they seem to be able to handle far more server replies before choking the router.

Sometimes I lose internet connectivity completely, and at other times only the server list stops responding and I can still browse the web, ping google.com, etc.

Can anyone either:

1. Recommend some tools I can use to see exactly what's choking? I'm not sure if my router is blocking traffic on one port, or only blocking one protocol, or what. Hell, maybe my ISP (comcast cable) is throttling traffic because refreshing a bunch of server IPs at once looks malicious to them, but I have no idea.

or

2. Recommend a good, high-end router that can handle this and never craps out when refreshing server lists in any game, ever. I've gone through SEVERAL ****ty consumer-level routers and they've all had this problem. I'd like to make sure that the next router I buy doesn't do this. =[ Please note whether you've been able to confirm that it won't crash when spamming "refresh" on the server list in RO2 as well as any other games you play.

I have the same router with v7 firmware. And I have the same problem. Power-cycling the router seems to work and so does restarting steam (or just waiting a while ... and restarting steam and waiting might really be doing the same thing).

However, I unplugged my router and plugged the incoming ethernet cable directly into my computer and still the same problem.

Do you have the same problem even when not going through your router?

(Also, I don't have comcast, but my local isp might be blocking as well.)

Upvote 0
Don't buy a new router because of this. It's not choking but instead blocking traffic because it thinks the computer is doing something malicious with the sudden burst of data to 1000 different addresses.

Even if it wouldn't block you out the server list suffers from this method of server query by showing stupid ping values etc.

This is indeed something for Trippy to fix, not you.

Upvote 0