• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

In praise of the Machine Gun

I agree, the gun is nice once you find a nice spot to camp and can shoot anyone you see before they notice you. However on the move this gun is nearly useless. In Call of Duty World at War I could easily headshot people while aiming down the sights and sprinting marathons around the map without stopping.

I think you can move quite nicely with the MG. Just move from cover to cover and do some fast bursting.

RO2 does have some hit detection problems tho. and I can often see them while trying to move in with the MG. Really annoing to shoot half belt on running guy and not killing him.

Upvote 0
-? MG34 recoil while standing is the one thing that makes me wonder. But maybe they were like that.

The Germans trained their machinegunners to fire from the hip to suppress while the riflemen threw grenades, (Tons of them! I wish we could get rid of the pistol and give riflement 2 extra grenades in-game. Germans spammed the crap out of them IRL) and I've done it myself once. Quite controllable. Consider the recoil from a K98. Now factor in that the 34 is 19lb heavier. NOW factor in that it's a semi-auto, which takes a good deal of kick out as well. In IRL hipshooting, the X-axis is easy to aim, but Y-axis takes LOTS of practice. You often hit the dirt several feet in front of your target, or well above it.

If you can find it, there's a pair of German training films from '43 called "M

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree, the gun is nice once you find a nice spot to camp and can shoot anyone you see before they notice you. However on the move this gun is nearly useless. In Call of Duty World at War I could easily headshot people while aiming down the sights and sprinting marathons around the map without stopping.

I just figured that if you can hold the bipod with your left hand and the grip with your right hand and shoot the gun without being deployed, you can do the same while holding the gun closer to eye level and looking at the ironsights.

I tend to wait for allies to move up and move behind them to reduce the chance of a one on one encouter with an enemy. Then find a nice position and provide fire support.

Upvote 0
I just figured that if you can hold the bipod with your left hand and the grip with your right hand and shoot the gun without being deployed, you can do the same while holding the gun closer to eye level and looking at the ironsights.

Shooting a 26lb weapon from the hip with a sling is one thing, holding it to your shoulder is quite another. The PPSh41 is heavy enough, firing an MG34 like a rifle is extreme, and the average soldier could not accomplish it effectively.

Upvote 0
The Germans trained their machinegunners to fire from the hip to suppress while the riflemen threw grenades, (Tons of them! I wish we could get rid of the pistol and give riflement 2 extra grenades in-game.

Are you serious? The grenade spam is already unbelievable. If anything, classes should get 1 grenade, or omit grenades for some classes entirely.

I don;t care what the Germans did IRL, the game doesn't need even more grenade spams.

People spawn, chuck 2 grenades, get shot shortly after, respawn, chuck 2 grenades again. And so on.

Upvote 0
I really want to like it, and have tried a few matches with it on Appartments. But i'm not afraid to say i suck with it. I come out with only 3 or 4 kills per match.

I can never quite figure out where to use it, i think i'm in a good spot, but then don't see anyone. I then do eventually get to a good spot with the occasional enemy to supress or kill, but just get taken out in a few seconds from one of the many windows or whatever.

I'm hoping it's just me, and that i can get better with how and where to use it. I've noticed that it almost definitely doesn't penetrate the walls surrounding windows very well if at all, as i've fired an entire magazine at walls where people are in the building to no avail - where i probably would of got a kill with a rifle. This is perhaps realistic, though the round is pretty big, 7.92x57 on the MG34, similar to the Nagant and K98 rifle.

Upvote 0
I'm crouched when I deploy

I've yet to find any button that makes me duck other than undeploying (when I undeploy it takes me back to crouch)

I almost never deploy when I'm in the cover system; takes too long to go to cover then pop up and deploy. I'd rather run up to the wall and deploy asap.

I'd swear I recall the crouch button working while deployed, but I may have been standing? I'll have to try it again tonight.

Upvote 0
As axis on CD-FallenFighters, we were attacking the Fallen Fighters park area, instead of going into the park area, I went up stairs into the technical school and mounted my machine gun there. From that vantage point I could see all of the allies trying to keep in cover. I could easily supress/kill them from there allowing my team mates to get in close. It was pure awesome. Exactly what a MGer I supposed to do. Afterwards I left my perch and followed my men into the park area and managed to get a few more kills.

Why did you have to tell people about this spot :(

I got accused of hacking last night because I got so many kills from up there haha

I absolutely love the MG in this game compared to the original, it's perfectly accurate if you control your fire, and doesn't draw a line of laser beams directly to your spot every time you fire it - people can still see the tracers if they're looking for them though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why did you have to tell people about this spot :(

I got accused of hacking last night because I got so many kills from up there haha

I thought the technical school was on the russian side?

The one on the german side is a department store I think

and I'd hardly consider the 2nd floor sandbagged windows of the department store to be a secret spot or even a good spot. A good vantage point yes, but if you play against a decent Russian side, they will easily spot and kill you.

I've got a much better spot and I ain't tellin!

Upvote 0
I thought the technical school was on the russian side?

The one on the german side is a department store I think

and I'd hardly consider the 2nd floor sandbagged windows of the department store to be a secret spot or even a good spot. A good vantage point yes, but if you play against a decent Russian side, they will easily spot and kill you.

I've got a much better spot and I ain't tellin!

Sides swap in Countdown.

It's actually a fairly good spot because the enemy spawns right in your face. If you can get up there fairly quickly, you can still catch several enemy still outside in the wide open.

I usually just go right into the building, turn left, turn right, deploy looking out the window, shoot. Chances are someone will walk directly into your bullets, and at the least, you make the enemy keep their heads down.

Just make sure to move out fast. :p

Upvote 0
Shooting a 26lb weapon from the hip with a sling is one thing, holding it to your shoulder is quite another. The PPSh41 is heavy enough, firing an MG34 like a rifle is extreme, and the average soldier could not accomplish it effectively.

Ummmmm...

MG42 Full Auto Belt Fed - Good Shooter - YouTube

Whoever voted you down has no idea what they are talking about. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0