• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Excessive Tank Recoil

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad Tank Gameplay BETA - YouTube

The recoil is so bad you cant even see if, or where you hit the enemy tank.
The recoil should hardly affect the main body of the tank at all,never mind throw the gun barrel into the air, the only good thing is that the gun sight returns to the same position it was in before you fired, and those bloody phoney German voices are really annoying, lets hope they can be turned off altogether.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad Tank Gameplay BETA - YouTube

The recoil is so bad you cant even see if, or where you hit the enemy tank.
The recoil should hardly affect the main body of the tank at all,never mind throw the gun barrel into the air, the only good thing is that the gun sight returns to the same position it was in before you fired, and those bloody phoney German voices are really annoying, lets hope they can be turned off altogether.

Actual German voice actors, not fakes.

Upvote 0
The point is that using a mouse gives you a degree of precision that you would not have in real life. A tank has to traverse and elevate separately, something that keyboard simulates. With a mouse, you simply point where you want to aim and your turret and gun will follow automatically. It's too easy and too precise.

It's like the difference between drawing with a pencil and drawing with an etch-a-sketch.

I take it you're one of those kids who was never able to draw a circle on an etch-a-sketch.

You can change elevation and rotate the turret at the same time. One hand controls rotation, the other hand controls elevation, and a skilled operator does this with ease and precision.

As long as they limit travel speeds to realistic values, then there is no issue using the mouse vs using keys.

The mouse is going to provide the most realistic method of input commonly available on the average home computer system as compared to turning hand cranks to change rotation and elevation of a gun. Why? Because I can turn a crank slowly, and I can move a mouse slowly. I can turn a crank quickly, and I can move a mouse quickly.

The keys on my keyboard are either on, or they're off. They have no middle state based on pressure or something. It means I have one speed, and one speed only. Set this speed too high, and you can't make fine adjustments. Set this speed too low, and you can't move the turret at its full speed. Now, if you use a time based acceleration, you're still not accurately modeling your options to turn the controls quickly vs slowly.

Upvote 0
On the Mouse vs Keyboard issue:

I always preferred the keyboard controlled turret movement, because I feel that its' MORE precise at long range. That is, the turret moves when I want it to, not when my hand slips a bit on my mouse. Say that I'm shooting at a tank at 800 meters or something. My round falls a bit short, so I increase elevation just slightly. With the mouse, I have to worry about whether I accidentally moved the turret to the side also. It's LESS precise in that case, and it feels like I'm losing control so that it can be made "easier" to use the mouse.

It feels like the design decision was based around the "usual" RO settings, where you often have tanks slugging it out in extremely close quarters (ie 50-200 meters).

Regardless of what the "realism" of it is, I just hope they allow key control again as an option. It felt much more like a tank that way, at least to me.

Reactions: billyboy
Upvote 0
On the Mouse vs Keyboard issue:

I always preferred the keyboard controlled turret movement, because I feel that its' MORE precise at long range. That is, the turret moves when I want it to, not when my hand slips a bit on my mouse. Say that I'm shooting at a tank at 800 meters or something. My round falls a bit short, so I increase elevation just slightly. With the mouse, I have to worry about whether I accidentally moved the turret to the side also. It's LESS precise in that case, and it feels like I'm losing control so that it can be made "easier" to use the mouse.

I'd love to see you adjust your reticule one pixel at a time with a keyboard...

I'm with LuckLess on this one, his handcrank analogy is spot on.

Upvote 0
I'd love to see you adjust your reticule one pixel at a time with a keyboard...

I'm with LuckLess on this one, his handcrank analogy is spot on.

Been playing tank only maps on RO and DH for years now, it's entirely possible to make fine adjustments to make shots at 1500 meters or more. I'd just rather see it as an option. We're talking practical problems here, as in you're operating a turret with a mouse, which has some disadvantages. If you're operating a turret with a handcrank, you don't "accidentally" move the horizontal traverse when you're trying to increase the gun elevation. That can happen with a mouse. I just like knowing that when I have my turret zeroed in, it's not going to move unless I want it to.

Upvote 0
Been playing tank only maps on RO and DH for years now, it's entirely possible to make fine adjustments to make shots at 1500 meters or more. I'd just rather see it as an option. We're talking practical problems here, as in you're operating a turret with a mouse, which has some disadvantages. If you're operating a turret with a handcrank, you don't "accidentally" move the horizontal traverse when you're trying to increase the gun elevation. That can happen with a mouse. I just like knowing that when I have my turret zeroed in, it's not going to move unless I want it to.

That is how I think about it aswell. Moving the mouse horizontally/vertically ONLY for even a little while is practically impossible with the mouse. I really would prefer WASD or the arrow keys for turret control (as in, WASD for the left hand movement commands and arrow keys for the right hand for turret operating). I hope it's an option. Options are nice :)

On topic: Tank recoil does look excessive in those vids. I guess devs will tone it down.

Upvote 0
Well much of what we have seen if from the early beta right?

So they may have toned it down sense then, though to me it seems some are confusing the sight jumping, with the vehicle jumping due to recoil, the sight might be reasonably realistic. Though the vehicle animation for the recoil is obviously a bit overkill.

Upvote 0
Well much of what we have seen if from the early beta right?

So they may have toned it down sense then, though to me it seems some are confusing the sight jumping, with the vehicle jumping due to recoil, the sight might be reasonably realistic. Though the vehicle animation for the recoil is obviously a bit overkill.

Where are people gaining the idea that sight recoil through the eyes of the gunner and the recoiling tank from the eyes of the observers are mutually exclusive events?

They are the same thing. If the body jumps then the sight will jump an equal amount, we're not confusing anything. You can clearly see the tanks having massive recoil.

Upvote 0
I know that hand cranked turrets had variable rate of traverse but how about hydraulic and electric turrets? If the rate was variable by gunner then mouse aiming is more realistic, because WSAD can't produce variable turret traverse speed but mouse can. IE could the gunner do fine adjustments with electric and hydraulic turrets like they could with hand cranked or was the rate of traverse fixed to certain

Last edited:
Upvote 0