• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Not cool. (PB kicks me for my name)

It's a PB setting that's enabled by default and has been in around for many years in other games with PB.

PB_SV_ExtChar [0/1]
The default setting of 0 tells PunkBuster to disallow extended ASCII Characters in player names; for the purposes of this command, characters that cannot be easily entered with simple keystrokes are considered extended

Upvote 0
Same problem, just got kicked for my name.

Note : I played the DDE Beta, Beta and release versions without a problem. The latest update added ASCII limitations.

Why it is a problem : RO2 uses the Steam Community nickname as your nickname, and iirc even using .cfg files doesn't work all the time and at each map change.

ASCII = American Standard Code for Information Interchange

So there's no accents/diacritic.

RO2 is sold to players from all around the world, banning diacritics from their Steam Community name is kinda disrespectful to other languages.

Some people mentionned good reasons for such limits : OK.

Even if custom character-limitations could exist...

=> RO2 should automatically remove ANY character not accepted by Punkbuster upon start for the RO2 nickname.

=> RO2 should add a setting "use custom nickname" in the options, so I could keep my Steam Community name and play RO2 like other players.

IIRC, you can change your nickname in the .cfg/.ini files (I don't know where though), but it doesn't work correctly all the time (like map change resetting the nickname) and can no longer work after an update.

1) What TWI is going to do regarding this problem ?

2) Is there a temporary fix using .cfg/.ini files ? EDIT : apparently, it could if the setname command was working.

EDIT
: I tried the "setname AAA" command, then the "set name AAA" command in the ROEngine.ini file, then in the ROGame.ini file. First without "Read-only", then with it.

None worked, my nickname is still the Steam Community one (of course, it's a corrupted version of my nickname since RO2 can't handle Unicode) :/

> "HUUUR CHANGE UR NIKNAME U NUB"
I'm sorry, but I won't change my Steam nickname I've been using for several years now (so people can remember me, even after 3 years), just because RO2 can't handle custom nicknames. It's a part of my own language, my own culture, and myself.
=> I'm currently trying to force RO2 to use a custom nickname (like "PB_banned_that_nickname") instead of my Steam Community one

EDIT 2 :
=> Tried changing my nickname ingame using the command " setname A " (or " setname "A" "), it displayed " *mynickname* changed name to *mynickname* " = nothing changed.

EDIT 3 :

Tested it, here are the results :

a) Client = Punkbuster enabled + Steam community On
Servers = Punkbuster High, Punkbuster Medium, Punkbuster Low, No Punkbuster.

b) Client = Punkbuster disabled + Steam community On

c) Client = Punkbuster enabled + Steam community Off

d) Client = Punkbuster disabled + Steam community Off

The setname command never worked, not even once.

Fix TWI ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The largest problem with "Non-standard" characters, is that many people do not have the ability to type them. (And a large potion of the English speaking world has no clue how to pronounce them.)

This makes maintaining a game server a real pain.

While I would personally prefer full Unicode support for user names out of the box, I completely understand why some prefer to take the easy route out.

Remove the

Upvote 0
I know, I know, I'm not really asking for full Unicode support

As you just said, some people won't know how to read it, server maintenance becomes even more painful, etc -ASCII is good enough for RO2

What I would like TWI to do, is allowing players to change their nickname OR remove any non-ASCII character (even if it's butchering the nickname in RO2).

The problem is that, right now, RO2 is taking my Steam Community name hostage.

Upvote 0
possible code injection, game exploit.

One pc FPS mp I played had this kind of deviant cheaters.

Most legit players hated their guts cos they were making all kinds of unnecessary troubles like unvotekickable cheater to say the least.

I don't think ppl will appreciate the possible risk just becos it's different game lol.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
hello ?

hello ?

24 days later, still no sign of Tripwire on this subject, are we doing something wrong ? :confused:

I would like to be able to set a custom name for RO2, or an automatic ASCII-friendly version of my nickname...

Red Orchestra 2 is taking my Steam Community name hostage and apparently TWI doesn't give a damn about it :(

TWI chose to use Punkbuster AND Steam services (Steamworks, VAC2 and Steam Community), they have the responsibility to make sure both are compatible, no ?

We don't even know if they heard the call... I can wait as long as they need to fix it (I know they're busy !) but waiting for nothing is really frustrating :(

Upvote 0