• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Some temporary tweaks to try if you're having performance issues.

FPS ISSUES:

To benchmark your FPS open the console (~ tilde key by default, if not, go to my documents/games/ro2/config and edit it to a new bind) and type in "stat fps" with no quotes.

If you were in beta, drag your RO2 config folder from Documents/My Games/RO2/ROGame/Config to your desktop and launch the game. It'll recreate it and might give you a bit of a boost. If it doesn't, simply change the settings back (and see if you notice any improvement) or just delete the new folder and drag the old one back.

Turn your shadows down from Ultra to High, the Ultra shadows flicker and cause a massive FPS drop in most cases.

Turn OFF Framerate Smoothing. In my case, this makes a massive difference.

In-game with framerate smoothing on, I get like 20 fps. In the menu I get 60.

In-game with framerate smoothing OFF, I get 40-100 fps. In the menu I get 300+.

Turn motion blur OFF if you get fps drops while sprinting/quickly spinning the camera.

MotionBlur=False
DepthOfField=False
AllowRadialBlur=False

This should give you extra frames. Also, theres a bug that even though you would set motion blur off in the game options, its still True in the ini

Turn ambient occulision OFF and you should notice an increase.

If you're on a 1080p (1920x1080) monitor or better, you don't need your AA cranked to max. Turn it down to x4 or x2, trust me, the higher the resolution the less and less AA matters. This should increase your fps a decent amount.

Try turning one Frame Thread Lag off and on and experiment with it. In beta with it on, my fps was stable. Now on release with it OFF, my fps is better by about 10 with it off.

CRASHING:

If you're crashing on a near constant basis, the likely culprit is one of two things:

Punkbuster (your only option right now is to play on non-PB servers, unfortunately.)

The Steam in-game overlay (I've heard this is ALSO caused by Punkbuster, but I don't know for sure)

To turn off the Steam overlay, Steam -> Settings -> In-game -> Uncheck "Ingame overlay" and click accept/okay.

In my case, I crash around 75% of the time on Station and that one map with the church I forget the name of, and CommisarsHouse if I have my steam overlay enabled. With it OFF, it stops crashing.

No Servers in browser:

I have this problem, too, and some people have found that changing router settings was able to alleviate it. Unfortunately, since changing ISPs from DSL to Cable again I haven't purchased a decent router and the one issued to me isn't able to be edited in any way.

If you aren't able to get it fixed by changing router settings:

DO NOT disconnect from a server. Hit esc, click server browser, and LET IT LOAD. After it loads, pick a new server.

If it refuses to load, try opening FF or IE and see if your internet has completely crapped out. This seems to be the issue with me, it literally overloads the router and craps out my connection for about 40 seconds. If this happens, wait until it's back and relaunch the game.

If you hit refresh more than 2-3 times in quick succession, the above seems to happen.

If you can't get servers period:
Add to this that if the server browser does not work, go to gametracker and search for RO2 servers, find the IP of one you want then open the console ingame (~) and type 'open ' then the IP

Should look something like "open 192.168.0.1:7777" cept not with that IP.

I used this for a lot of the beta with the quirky server browser.

Just some ideas to try if you're frustrated.

Last edited:
Add to this that if the server browser does not work, go to gametracker and search for RO2 servers, find the IP of one you want then open the console ingame (~) and type 'open ' then the IP

Should look something like "open 192.168.0.1:7777" cept not with that IP.

I used this for a lot of the beta with the quirky server browser.

Other then that a nicely put together guide, which should hopefully help some people having performance issues.

Upvote 0
u half texture sizes so it eat less ram, but ur eye cant notice the difference, trust me its a well known fix for ram problems in UE3 games... and yes UE3 is a bad engine, idTech is much better long live Quake^^

~edit~

you make bumpmaps and specular smaller also if u know

Last edited:
Upvote 0
u half texture sizes so it eat less ram, but ur eye cant notice the difference, trust me its a well known fix for ram problems in UE3 games... and yes UE3 is a bad engine, idTech is much better long live Quake^^

Will this even help on 16 gb ram, and 4gb video ram?

I suppose I could try.

I wonder if you really can;t tell the difference. I think I can, I mostly do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
save the last post, this topic is a LIST of all the things that won't give a single FPS to majority of users :p

well ok... dial back Ultra shadows is a good advice too :)

And not to be all negative...

USE STEAM SERVER BROWSER

(only way I can connect without losing my mind waiting for my defunct router to come back)

Last edited:
Upvote 0