• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

to tripwire: the L.A.W isn't worth it right now.

Ipeut

May 5, 2009
at the present state of the weapon, the L.A.W, its not worth it to give up moveing speed, 1500 pounds, and ALL other weapons. on normal, if i throw a grenade and shoot a law rocket at the feet of even a sckare, it doesnt kill them. unless theres something im missing, the weapon is way too weak to sacrafice everything for it. any one who uses this weapon please let me know if there is some sort of secret to useing it :p

Yep it pretty much blows. Splash is near nonexistant (I can get more AoE out of a hunting shotgun double blast...) and regular damage is laughable. It IS notable that due to some design fluke LAWs fall under the shotgun category, so support classes (as if they needed yet another bonus) do bonus damage and get more rockets with the LAW on top of being able to have another weapon to go with it.

Upvote 0
I've always used the LAW with teamwork, especially with fleshpounds.

LAW chap rockets him, I get in the way and give him both barrels with my hunting shotgun to the face and he's done.

That said, if it is a LAW then surely it is focussed more on penetration and securing a kill on a single target than actually having enormous splash damage?

Can someone please enlighten me here. I've heard so much... what i can only call bull****... regarding Fleshpounds.

People repeatadly say 2 Hunting Shotgun double-shots will kill a Fleshpound, like hell it does. I know i can aim and i've never seen it happen. Just like i don't believe for 1 moment that 1 LAW and 1 HS will kill a Fleshpound instantly either.

Anyway, back to the topic. The LAW is a truly pathetic weapon. Its too expensive, too heavy, and too low damage. The only player that can really use it is a lvl5 Supporter thanks to the increased weight capacity. But that still doesn't deal with the fact its far too expensive (for what it currently is), its splash doesn't seem to even exist and its damage is incredibly sub-par for a rocket.

Upvote 0
Can someone please enlighten me here. I've heard so much... what i can only call bull****... regarding Fleshpounds.

People repeatadly say 2 Hunting Shotgun double-shots will kill a Fleshpound, like hell it does. I know i can aim and i've never seen it happen. Just like i don't believe for 1 moment that 1 LAW and 1 HS will kill a Fleshpound instantly either.

Anyway, back to the topic. The LAW is a truly pathetic weapon. Its too expensive, too heavy, and too low damage. The only player that can really use it is a lvl5 Supporter thanks to the increased weight capacity. But that still doesn't deal with the fact its far too expensive (for what it currently is), its splash doesn't seem to even exist and its damage is incredibly sub-par for a rocket.

The fleshpound's HP scales with the number of people on the server as well as with difficulty.

Upvote 0
at the present state of the weapon, the L.A.W, its not worth it to give up moveing speed, 1500 pounds, and ALL other weapons. on normal, if i throw a grenade and shoot a law rocket at the feet of even a sckare, it doesnt kill them. unless theres something im missing, the weapon is way too weak to sacrafice everything for it. any one who uses this weapon please let me know if there is some sort of secret to useing it :p

I agree, I used the law/winchester every round in non retail but now I don't use either.

The law I don't use because it's too precise like a sharpshooter and it's splash range isn't useful.

The winchester because the reload animation blocks my play view and it isn't so useful with the retail map's game play (specimen spawn all around you and come fast and don't stop)

Upvote 0
Even lowering the price to 1000$ won't make this weapon cost-effective, why not just buy a Hunting Shotgun it's much stronger and got more munitions (and cost only 750$).
A price lowering (maybe 1250$) combined with a buff in the power, a bigger Area of Effect explosion and more munitions to the weapon.

Upvote 0
Lowering to 1000$ isn't enough to make this L.A.W cost-effective compared to the other weapons.
You can just buy the Hunting Shotgun which is stronger and got more ammo in a lower price (750$).
The L.A.W needs buffing from all sides, a price lowering (maybe to 1250$), a buff in power, a bigger area of effect explosion & maybe even more ammo.

Upvote 0
Realistically, this gun should be like a .357 revolver, you shoot it, it blows s*** up, you run out of those 6 bullets, that's it. What I mean to say is, less ammo (support can pack 18 rounds of rockets? WHAT?) pump up the damage efficiency compared to other weapons by making it way more powerful by adding the damage and area of effect of 4 grenades of a support character at once. This is what would make the L.A.W important.

Upvote 0
What they're trying to avoid is a featherweight Patriarch, where everyone just buys a LAW and fires it once, and he's dead. But yeah, this thing should definitely be put to a better use than it is. Either increased splash damage to destroy an incoming wave, or more damage to take out priority targets, or even both.

Upvote 0
That said, if it is a LAW then surely it is focussed more on penetration and securing a kill on a single target than actually having enormous splash damage?

Problem right now is that it does neither... It doesn't even splash enough to kill a siren arm's reach from the impact point on normal and it takes a ridiculous amount of rockets to kill fleshpounders and you shouldn't even try it on the patriarch because I'm about 90% sure you'd run out of rockets before he dies (support lvl5 could maybe pull it off because they get extra damage and rockets due to some FUBAR with LAWs counting as shotguns... :confused:)

Upvote 0
Up damage a little, but make the splash radius huge.

That way it doesn't make Pat easymode but is more effective against large groups of clots and gorefasts.

Nah, the LAW is an anti-tank weapon, it doesen't really do splash damage, if it's gotta be a LAW, it should be best used to take down one big target, but doing that without making the Patriarch too easy seems quite the challenge..

Perhabs a better weapon is needed, like a portable recoilless rifle or even a grenade launcher, thouse pack munitions that seem more appropriate for what's needed in KF, balancing a weapon with alot of splash damage seems easier than trying to balance the LAW.

Upvote 0
Nah, the LAW is an anti-tank weapon, it doesen't really do splash damage, if it's gotta be a LAW, it should be best used to take down one big target, but doing that without making the Patriarch too easy seems quite the challenge..

Perhabs a better weapon is needed, like a portable recoilless rifle or even a grenade launcher, thouse pack munitions that seem more appropriate for what's needed in KF, balancing a weapon with alot of splash damage seems easier than trying to balance the LAW.

Theres your problem. Theres 3 options, remove the LAW because its an utterly useless waste of cash/space/time and people keep taking it because they think its good (to begin with). Massively increase its single target damage making it far too strong vs the Patriarch. Or increase its damage a bit and give it a MUCH larger AoE, the reality of the weapon can go hang if it means the weapon will continue to be useless.

The weapon should be able to kill anything less powerful than a Scrake in 1 shot (Bloats/Sirens) and take out weaker things nearby (Clots/Crawlers). In its current state it can't do either. If it needs to be, reduce its ammo limit to compensate for it so you can't use it to decimate entire waves.

Upvote 0