• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Now that RO2 has interruptible reloading: choosing your magazine when reloading

MagicSnake

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 28, 2011
Qu
I was going to write my suggestion, but this post (dating from 2006 and referring to ROOst) sums it very well:
So right now, it only says "new magazine is <relative weight>" AFTER you've already locked the thing in and chambered.

This makes very little sense...and it makes it impossible to quickly select a full(ish) magazine like you would be able to IRL.

How about making it so that when you hit the reload key, you pull out a magazine and it immediately tells you the relative weight, and if you hit the reload key again, it REVERSES the animation (to simulate re-pouching the magazine) and draws another? This would allow you to cycle through your magazines in search of a fuller one, while still being realistic in that you still have to spend a bit of time pulling out a magazine at least partially to get a feel for its weight.
(source: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=8334)

I'm suggesting this because in ROOst, especially with semi-auto rifles, I sometimes reload despite still having 5-6 bullets in my magazine, simply because I wish to join in an assault on an enemy position and a full mag is preferable in such a situation. However, once the assault is over and I go back to long range fighting, I would like to have the option of finishing off my half-full mag I discarded earlier.

I think that would give more power to the player, all the while not getting in the way of those who think it's a useless feature. Plus, it seems relatively easy to implement.

What do you think?

Personally I think you should generally always just pick the heaviest out of the available mags.

You can always weight the clip in your gun in ROHOS, by quickly removing it (holding the reload button) and then decide to reload or not.

You don't have the control in a game to immediately say you want to pick say your 3rd magazine. And cycling through them would probably take a lot of time. Just automatically grabbing the heaviest to me makes the most sense.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
tap R = normal reload. picks the first one

hold R= plays an animation of your guy weaghing the clip/mag or (in the case of a 5 round stripper/ pistol mags with ammo count holes) looks at the rounds/holes.

hold R...... crap, only 1 round left......let off then hold.... CRAP only one round left again......let off then hold..... 8 rounds FINALY
and yes, it would take some time. but in RO sometimes you never see anyone. you jsut fire at possitions. and you can still do a quick "luck of the draw" relaod.

Upvote 0
At range, I have yet to encounter a situation when it mattered.

It matters when you reach the point where all your 6 magazines are half-empty, but you'd rather have 3 magazines of which 2 are still full, so you stand a better chance when moving in to assault a position in close quarters.

Implementing this feature seems relatively simple, and it doesn't bog down the reload process for anyone. It's just so if halfway through reloading it says "magazine is light", you can press 'R' (reload) once more to load another magazine instead.

If I'm suggesting this, it's because there were quite a few times in ROOst where I wished I could do just that.

Upvote 0
Simpler solution would be to open a small GUI when you hold the reload button. All magazines are presented for you in a neat horizontal stack, and you select which one to reload. Provided that magazines are used from left to right in the "stack", you can easily select whether you want a fresh or used one. Selecting is done by a marker that moves in a fixed horisontal line, controlled by the mouse. Click to reload, rightclick to cancel. Presto, all the functionality, no extra keys, no extra animations.

Upvote 0
your fighing a pitched battel as a SVT rifleman. you have 10 mags and 1 in the gun. you fire your first, and 9 of another mag. the battle stops for a few minutes becasue the russians held the germans. you hear the sound of tanks. THIS IS GOING TO BE HARD!!!! you say to your self as you relead a mag. you fire that mag at a tank commander, killing him with the last round in the mag. you reload.

suddenly a german bayo charges you, in your panic you relead the mag with only one round. you fire, but its a wild hail mary, and you miss. CLICK.....STAB.....SHTI THAT HURTS....BLARG!!! dead.

and selecting a full mag every time is unrealistic. if i fire 5 of 10 then reload, that mag would have 4 roudns left (closed bolt) or 5 left (open bolt). i would not magicly fill another part mag full.

not showing the roudns in the mag in a little status bar is great. RnL had a button you would press and it would show a 2D belt with how many mags you had left, nades, pistol mags ETC.

same thing, but you hold R, use WASD to select (mosue would nto work as you would be movign your point of aim arround) the mag. let off R. game reloads that mag. as soon as you RELEASE R, the heavy, light, very light comes up so you can press and hold R before the mag locks in the gun if you messed up your count and selected a light one.

here is another scean.

your behind the lines of hte germans with your SVT. your sqaud got killed off and the germans are closeing in, but they will only pass near you, the bush your hiding in will provide cover so they wont see you. however, your mag has 2 rounds left in it. so liek a retard you FIRE THEM INTO TEH GROUND GIVING AWAY YOUR POSSITION. suddenly 50 germans with STG's MP-40"s and MG-42's start to fill the air your beathing up with lead.....literaly. your lungs are suddenly full of lead....you wish you remembered your BASIC TRAINING and reloaded a full mag after EVERY battle as you slowly slip into darkness.....

i like creative/discritive writing!

anyway, you should also NOT do the Battle Feild 2 system where the mag is lost. soem times i would shoto 5 out of 30 rounds, relead becaseu im OCD and like a full mag, but end up runnign out of ammo so dang quick.

SAID BY SKITTLESAREYUM47

Asides from picking the heaviest being by DEFAULT, is it really even worth the time to do the animations or the time to watch the animations as the player... weighs them? It isn't practical in any sense

you can still jsut tap R and it would laod jsut like in RO1..... AKA the next mag in the belt.

also, the reloadign in RO is messed up. i had a TT33 and had 1 mag left, one in the gun. the one in the gun had 2 rounds left. the one on my belt was full. so i presed R.

i expected the 7 or 8 rounds to fire, but it was a mag of 2????? so i jsut took the mag out, put it on my belt, grabed teh same mag, took it out of my belt, and stuck it in the gun......

this is why we need a new reloading system.

sorry for the LONG wall of words. PLEASE read it however, as it solves the problems....at least i think.

Reactions: 213
Upvote 0