• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Open Beta Release date questions wtf

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would rather have a demo that allowed us to play mp with bots. I dont care about stupid pointless betas. Tripwire shouldnt even waste there time with one. And yeah tripwire is clearly looking at it as marketing or we would already be playing the beta. U want to make it look good before u show it off. Dont lie.

Ok first off, you need to understand what a beta is. It is not a demo, and it is not advertising; it is a period of extensive testing of the game before it is ready for public release. By nature betas can be buggy and unstable and aren't ready for people who aren't serious testers to play them.

Secondly, HoS isn't in beta yet. It is still in alpha, which means it isn't even feature complete yet.

When it does enter beta, there will be 3 stages, according to Ramm.

The first stage, the small friends and family beta, will be for squashing bugs and making sure the game runs correctly. At this point the game will still very much be an unfinished product.

The second stage will be larger and will probably help test the balance of the game, and perhaps stress test servers, netcode, etc.

By the third stage the game will be mature enough to let large numbers of people to play which will allow TWI to further test everything.

TWI isn't looking at the beta as marketing, but since the random pubbie player will definitely perceive it as such (thanks for that btw, other game companies), TWI needs to make sure the game is ready for people who will judge the game as if it is already released. Otherwise, they could lose a lot of customers who don't know the difference between "beta" and "demo."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
(thanks for that btw, CoD, et al.), TWI needs to make sure the game is ready for people who will judge the game as if it is already released. Otherwise, they could lose a lot of customers who don't know the difference between "beta" and "demo."

CoD never had open/public betas.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zips
Upvote 0
It'd be great if people who were interested in the beta had the goal of actually assisting in the development process rather than just wanting to play the game before its proper release.

I agree, but I hope that you, or anyone doesn't think that ALL of the different users that describe how badly they want to play do so just because they want to play before the release.

I have only done 2 other betas, one was SC2, and the other was The DC super Hero MMO. I didn't play either of them much, and only made one suggestion on the MMO game.

Anyway, It would be nice to be given the chance to participate, and help out, and contribute meaningful feedback, rather than be criminalized as a fanboi just wanting to play the game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Exactly, people need to learn that betas aren't for " lol i get t0 see if i like the game man if i like it or not lol" there for stress testing servers and reporting bugs. If you go into a beta and complain about it being buggy or laggy or w/e then your clearly a moron that obviously doesn't know what betas are for.

Upvote 0
Exactly, people need to learn that betas aren't for " lol i get t0 see if i like the game man if i like it or not lol" there for stress testing servers and reporting bugs. If you go into a beta and complain about it being buggy or laggy or w/e then your clearly a moron that obviously doesn't know what betas are for.

Don't confuse that with reporting what's wrong though. You need to speak up when helping devs complete a game!

Upvote 0
Don't confuse that with reporting what's wrong though. You need to speak up when helping devs complete a game!

Yea I should of clarified on that, I meant when people go into the forums complain that the game is buggy and crap during the beta with no explanation on whats buggy and then call the game horrible, that doesn't help the devs at all.

Upvote 0
Perception is reality. If they don't want to use an open beta to get pre-orders and publicity. Then they should keep it in closed beta until its ready for release. I don't know how much good a open beta did for other games. But they should be sure the game is ready before an open beta or it will back fire on them and they will get bad publicity witch is worse than no publicity.

Reactions: ERK
Upvote 0
Perception is reality. If they don't want to use an open beta to get pre-orders and publicity. Then they should keep it in closed beta until its ready for release. I don't know how much good a open beta did for other games. But they should be sure the game is ready before an open beta or it will back fire on them and they will get bad publicity witch is worse than no publicity.

The Medal of Honor beta backfired quite a lot, simply because a lot of folks can't grasp the concept of an Beta, so when you have an open beta you run the risk..

I think its reasonable to keep it closed within the community and/or the devs and their testers.

Upvote 0
The Medal of Honor beta backfired quite a lot, simply because a lot of folks can't grasp the concept of an Beta, so when you have an open beta you run the risk..

I think its reasonable to keep it closed within the community and/or the devs and their testers.

if the game is beta nothing of the core gameplay gonna change anytime soon.
and while developers nowdays use BETA to sell there game by using pre-purchase options. and not release demo's instead.

That is there own fault for releasing a game that gamer's don't like

Upvote 0

if the game is beta nothing of the core gameplay gonna change anytime soon.
and while developers nowdays use BETA to sell there game by using pre-purchase options. and not release demo's instead.

That is there own fault for releasing a game that gamer's don't like...

Upvote 0

The truth is that "beta" was a demo and it stank. It was short and close to release, the real beta had been done and the pre order beta was just a buy the game get a early demo deal.

I doubt they would of fixed anything if that huge amount of people had not chosen to cancel their preorder. Also imho even after all the betas the game still sucked.

If dice try to pass off another pile of crap like that agian then they will end up on my "never buy from dev/publisher agian" list.

Rant over

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.