• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Machine guns

what woud you do then, for example, as a soldier, in stalingrad, facing a enemy 2m from you, only armed with your mg42 in hand, while your comrade with the rifle, is lying wounded/dead on the ground ?

Only for curriosty.

Ummm as an mg'er in Stalingrad, if I got that close, I deserved to die...
Think about it, in a serious and realistic way please ...

Any average MG user should not be "picked off" by a so called "skilled" player who leans out at the right time...this simply does not reflect history...you want the mg dead either flank him or charge in and take massive casualties...or do the smart thing and get the sniper to shoot him from 300 yards...that's what they are for.

yes, i woud love to see one day in this game, that you have to use "real" tactics again mg guners in this game. How its now, its just to easy, even for me, to kill them. Sometimes, i see them, even getting killed, from medium range, from machinepistols ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Having observed how the coax and hull mg's also fail to bring down targets repeatedly, the hit detection must also be a problem...I sight directly, it misses...I lead the target, it misses....I generally have to wave over an infantry target two or three times to get a kill.

Not even remotely close...not with the sheer volume of lead being put out...and on a tank with next to no recoil...obviously a problem at anything up to 200 yards...

As to the infantry MG's it should be the same with the recoil creating the "cone of fire" effect, not with any additional COF factored in...now I should have used the phrase Field of Fire to more accurately depict what I meant...

Anything under 100 yards that shows its face to the aware MGer should be rendered dead by simply passing the crosshair over it and depressing button...there is just that much lead...if that seems too extreme, surely no less than anything under 75 yards... anything past that would be a matter of seconds of exposure but the surpression effect to those under and near the stream of fire should be MASSIVE...far more than it is. You would under no circumstances be "snap-shooting" it.

The weapon as it is now simply does not reflect its historical effect and performance... and as Rak noted very well...as one abberant player or even 20 players ability to master it as modelled may create the illusion of useability, unless it reflects reality in the hands of the average user, it is not close. In the hands of an expert you could expect my above numbers likely to be far higher...especially if the MG worked in tandem with a binocular using spotter which they often did.

The way the MG42 was handled in BiA was actually fairly close. As you approached it, at 200 yards distance even under cover you began experiencing near misses and surpression effect if they were aware of you... if you stood up this turned into hits... under 200 yards you had three seconds to get under cover tops or death occurred...under 100 yards, exposing yourself to an aware mg'er was certain death. (this is all for an emplaced gunner in whose FOF you are in...not discussing assault position for which rules would be the same as regular infantry encounters)

Upvote 0
Once again the Germans get shafted.

Germans get shafted? MG wise I'd agree, but concerning SMG's it's more likely the Russians than get shafted. Ironic really. Irl the Germans had the best MG's and the Russians had the best SMG's.. ingame I'd say the opposite stands. And either way I'd usually rather have a bolt action or semi auto!

Upvote 0
Yep tw messed up real bad. I find it hard to understand their twisted logic with some things, mgs for one and the panzer f2 varient for another smg extream recoil very low surpression efects etc. I guess I am going to have to download that reality mod for a realisic experience like I payed for all well sorry for the rant.

Upvote 0
RO has the best hit detection Ive ever experienced in an online game!!

I can kill accuratly with tank mgs. You just need to play more!

He's right, RO has one of the best hit detection systems currently around. The hitbox fits TIGHTLY around the model, instead of a huge blob around the model like most games. That means that you can for example shoot someone between the legs, barely missing his balls. ;)

Even the mod had this.

Upvote 0
Even the mod had this.

Yeah in the mod weapons up close rutinely went through their target and counted as a miss. Which is why you used your bayo if you were up close it's nbetter now. But smgs still have problems. Hit detection is the worst in bayos though, upclose they are useless have to stab like 3 feet back.

Upvote 0
Who was the guy in one of these threads that one of his relitives in laws grandfather in ww2 him and his squad where mouseholing their way through the buildings attic instead of going down the street and have to face the mg 42. That weapon and the weapon we have in game are definatly not the same that is for sure. We should ask the guy why they didnt just poke their head up and pick off the mgs with a rifle or snipe them with an smg rofl!

Upvote 0