• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I hoped to love RO2

Red Orchestra 2 instead of building upon Red Orchestra 1 takes away all of the features that made it unique.
*The battlecries are f***ing stupid,all those do is give away your position or give away the position of enemies. (no fun,not at all)
*The lack of weapon sway makes pointing and aiming too easy
*The fast aiming down the sight makes the freeaim system worthless
*Autobolting/autoreloading makes checking your ammo meaningless.
*The "CTRL key for everything" makes giving ammo to a machine gunner behind cover impossible.
*The tanking system is terrible because now you HAVE to look through the scope to turn the tank turret.
*There is no penalty for being shot,just press the "all actions in one" CTRL key and hope your guy doesn't go into cover instead. (You cant get your legs crippled,you cant have your arms messed up in a way that slows down weapon swap)
*There is a constant forced respawning in territory.
*Spawning off of a squad leader makes getting to the battlefield easier,thus takes away the travel penalties of getting killed.
*Weapon unlocks,perks,and leveling up encourages killwhoring/bad camping.
*You can fire right after sprinting in ro2 which encourages running and gunning.
*You can't remove your bayonet in red orchestra 2 which means your gun sticks out of a window a bit more and makes you easier to spot.
*Stamina comes back super-fast in ro2. (there's no weapon-sway penalty if your stamina is low either)
*You can't have your weapon shot out of your hand in ro2 (or shoot the weapon out of an enemie's hand),which takes away one of the thrilling unpredictable moments of the first game.
*Reloading is done too quickly in red orchestra 2,when compared to ostfront (checking your ammo doesn't have as much of a point anymore).
*Holdbreath zoom/ironsight zoom is just terrible. A riflemen gets what is essentially a sniper scope without any blindspots. (The 3d scope system gives the sniper a doughnut shaped blindspot)

Anyone who says Red Orchestra 2 in it's state is better than red orchestra ostfront/darkest hour is either a troll or a battlefield player.

O right so you're banning people who played Red orchestra from saying they like Red orchestra 2? now forgive me but isn't that a little bit elitist?

Upvote 0
I still think Tripwire should not have attempted to cater to a new demographic. If they instead made RO2 radically unique and realistic just like RO1, I'm sure they would have sold just as many copies because many new players would've been attracted to having a refreshingly different type of FPS gameplay.
By making the game more like COD and BF and (unintentionally) nearly alienating a big part of the original fanbase (whether you like it or not, the whole MkB & MP40/II thing is a very clear sign of it) they have done nothing but shorten the game's lifespan in terms of player numbers.
This in-between realism did not work for OFP2, so far hasn't worked for RO2 either.

The best move TWI could do right now is to start updating the game to make it more unique and realistic again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I still think Tripwire should not have attempted to cater to a new demographic. If they instead made RO2 radically unique and realistic just like RO1, I'm sure they would have sold just as many copies because many new players would've been attracted to having a refreshingly different type of FPS gameplay.
By making the game more like COD and BF and (unintentionally) nearly alienating a big part of the original fanbase (whether you like it or not, the whole MkB & MP40/II thing is a very clear sign of it) they have done nothing but shorten the game's lifespan in terms of player numbers.

Honestly I don't agree with you.

Original RO was too "hard core" or "realistic" it was bit over the top.

Too realistic = no fun

I think RO2 reached a pretty good middle ground between original RO and Arcade.

Also, when people say COD fanbase, you need to be more clear. Original COD/COD UO and the rest are 2 different ballparks.

Go back and play COD/COD UO and you will quickly find out that recoil is more hardcore than original RO (with bullet fire added to the question).

So please don't be so fast to judge "cod" and be more specific.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ambient
Upvote 0

Too realistic = no fun

Also, when people say COD fanbase, you need to be more clear. Original COD/COD UO and the rest are 2 different ballparks.

Go back and play COD/COD UO and you will quickly find out that recoil is more hardcore than original RO (with bullet fire added to the question).

RO1 wasn't over the top, it just had flaws which were corrected in RO2. I'm perfectly fine with things like the sprint speed and stamina, zooming and stuff.
There are some things that are clearly wrong with RO2. Things like the silly unlocks, stamina not affecting sway, not having the need to rest your weapon EVER, and the ability to almost instantly go from sprinting to shooting. Oh, and silly amounts of automatic weapons.

Realism can be very fun. RO1 was fun. RO2 would've been tons more fun if it had corrected RO1's flaws without adding so many of its own.

COD and BF crowd of course refers to the modern day COD and BF games. I was a BF1942 player.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Too realistic = no fun

RO1 was too hard? lol Tell that to everyone who played DH or all the people that play arma. Too realistic = no fun? for who you and people that get mad if they can master something in 10 min? Arma 2 doesnt have problems with sales and that game is a simulator. RO1 was the middle ground. Ro2 is arcade, especially when you have most players with smgs/assault rifles, and semis in stalingrad.

Upvote 0