• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

ro vets one thing i don`t understand.

Jeez, do we need another thread comparing the two games?

RO1 had more hardcore gameplay but was relatively unknown compared to bigger games, and it didn't hold your hand at any point. In fact it could be hostile to new players unless you put some effort in.

RO2 has nifty new features but the best thing about it is that its new, and has brought a fresh wave of interest to the series, and that it contains elements that allow people from other games to transition to RO easier.

Some form of progression is kind of a must in modern games. You don't have to do big rewards but there are people who want to "achieve" everything they can ingame and unlock stuff periodically. If it means there are more populated servers then great, but it has to be balanced with the authenticity of the core gameplay and theme.

People need to know how to interact with the game easily, and not have to remember several buttons or worry about shooting for fear of it being a team mate. A simple button scheme and helpful HUD is needed for a modern game. But it has to be balanced with the way an experienced player will use the game. After you played a while parts of the HUD aren't needed or you find you would gladly bind more keys if you could.

Where it gets murky for me though is weapon handling and class limits. People call it realism, but its also there like the above things. Its so people can get into the game easier and get some frags without getting frustrated, either because they "have to use a bolt" or because the guns are too hard to control for a new player. A lot of gamers will try something a few times then give up and call the game too boring or that you have to be a nerd who plays 24/7 to enjoy it. But at the same time you can end up losing what made the game special in the first place and the game ends up feeling less unique or rewarding, and worst of all becomes boring sooner.

Some parts of RO2 I like a lot, but some parts of RO1 I prefer. I wouldn't want to go back to inferior graphics though, and RO2 is far more populated. TBH I think of RO2 as a middle ground between the modern popular shooter and something I really liked, and if it is necessary to get more games like them in the future then I don't mind. These types of games don't need to be "niche"..things often start niche before they manage to get a decent following after building a fan base and spreading through word of mouth and critical exposure

Upvote 0
I have not seen other threads comparing the two games. But I will say I expected ROII to be even MORE hardecore realism than RO - except the EZ Mode servers (even if they are still more realistic than basic CoD and MoH).

Having to turn my rifle forward to enter a door is more realistic, but a lot more annoying. Not being able to crawl through bits of rubble, but rather having to go around it is even more annoying and unrealistic both.

Having to spawn with a bayonet and not being able to take it off is anything but realistic. I simply cannot imagine why anyone would have come up with this or approved it - other than wanting to cut down on code and animation.

But I am loving the game despite the bugs and enjoying many little differences from RO.

I look forward to improvements, sure, but just too much fun right now, however frustrating.

I would be happier than Snoopy at suppertime if DH comes out for this game, by the way. I already miss having squad mortar men, not to mention an M-1 and Sten gun!

Upvote 0
So you are saying Ro1 isn't great?

:IS2:

Do i write that??
Once more i played RO1 every day i liked it very much.
But saw often 3 servers not more. DH one server.

What i think about RO2?
It is the successor of RO1. I like tanking very much, more
than in RO1. In RO1 if your tank was angled right you were
diificult to destroy. In RO2 it is more realistic.
I like fighting with a T34.

My opinion about negative points of RO2 are,

- long spawn waiting. .....i hate that. It happened to me
that i could play 1 time in round and the rest was waiting.

- Zooming - if this is realistic okay but i hate it. It looks you
have a sniper rifle.

The rest i see as positive. The game will only get better after several patches and mods.

Upvote 0
It actually wasn't a thread about that at all, until you made it so. If you had cared to read the previous posts you would see that it was about servers and the number of players playing RO1.

Everybody is flaming and telling that ro1 is great but
where was everybody then when i played it??
What? Its about RO1 and RO2, and why we should be happy with RO2 because there were so few playing RO1 (a 5 year old game). You don't think people will want to go a bit deeper into the reasons in this thread?

Main thing about RO1 was that it was old and wasn't as welcoming to new players as RO2 is. The actual gameplay is something to be debated. The thing I fear most about RO2 is that it will end up butchered by mods, with you hardly being able to join a server without dling a mod for it (no zoom mod, fewer class limits mod, no rare weapons or leveling mod, more sway / recoil etc). That sort of thing can kill off a game. We can compare RO1 player numbers to RO2 in a few years, but even so RO2 is far more inviting to casual fps gamers than ro1 so it should have more. RO2 is coming off the back of hype from RO1 players and its reputation, I just hope it still has it for the next game and doesn't lose numbers sharply due to various issues

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ro was an 8 year old game, it had it's first mod release way back in 2003, came into it's prime as a mod from 2004 to 2006, and then went retail with RO:Ost in 2006 as basically the same game the mod was, all be it with a minor facelift and a few minor changes.

Is it really so supricing that after 8 years of the same game, that still had the same problems it allways did, and with the promise of a sequal in the works, most people where moving on to new things whilst they waited for Ro2 to come along?

If you joined in the era of the 24/7 Danzig server, then you didn't play the game the rest of us did back when RO:Ost was in it's prime, you joined durring the game's dying breath, and it really didn't play the same anymore (50 player servers running maps made for only 32 players, and everyone knew thouse maps like the back of their retina, so it was damn near impossible for a new player to survive, and the gameplay had become far more clusterf**ky than it was back when 32 players was the max allowed).

Personally i was expecting Ro2 to be a massively more polished RO with some nice new features, more polished gameplay mechanics and much bigger maps to support 64 players, but it's an entirely different game that playes like the worst excesses of the 24/7 Danzig era RO, only even faster and even more clusterf**ky, and with much less historical accuracy, and it's not a game i find fun.

Upvote 0
Its a seeding issue. No one likes seeding new servers.

In the case of RO, I rather expect the number of overall players was quite high, but the average playing time per week rather low.

The RO player base before this release was certainly in the 10s of thousands if by base we mean playing the game once a week or more.

So yah, there are a lot of RO vets in RO2, particularly if we include former RO players not included in above definition of player base.

Upvote 0

Just glad I was not there, sounds like a few were having a bummer time:p./kidding

Unfortunately I missed RO:OST, so I cannot compare the two, I enjoy RO2, I just do not enjoy the crybabies so much.

Just brought to mind that one player that was complaining in VoIP during the beta about every aspect of the game, how it was not like RO:OST, but as everyone else was enjoying the game and trying to ignore his *****y remarks, one guy spoke up and told him to just shut the **** up, if he did not like the game so much, log out, delete the beta, ask for a refund and go back to playing RO:OST... but for all that was holy stop ruining this game for the rest of us, we do not care, if we wanted **** spewing out of your mouth we would have just squeezed your head, everyone agreed, and the little brat rage quit after a couple more deaths.

Upvote 0
Personally i was expecting Ro2 to be a massively more polished RO with some nice new features, more polished gameplay mechanics and much bigger maps to support 64 players, but it's an entirely different game that playes like the worst excesses of the 24/7 Danzig era RO, only even faster and even more clusterf**ky, and with much less historical accuracy, and it's not a game i find fun.

My thoughts exactly.

It's like George Lucas finished butchering Star Wars then got ahold of RO and said, "You know, this game is unique and well-loved. Lets change everything that made it special."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah seriously.

I used to play RO1 all the time and there were never more than 3 servers (if I as lucky) up and running with human beings actually in them. Where were all of you?

Playing different games? Ostfront's heyday was over a couple years after release. It was a great ride while it lasted though. Then it ended up 50 player servers with nade spam and chokepoints gallore/Danzig 24/7. Plus they increased class slots like the player count was up to 64 players. It was still good, but I was getting bored by then anyway. The game was at it's peak when it was still 32 players with correct class limits and large variety of maps being played

I played the hell out of it though, and after a couple years playing solidly I kinda burned myself out on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: blitze
Upvote 0
Hey don't ***** about the zoom iron sights feature, 1 it is only a small zoom and 2 for me traveling and playing on my 17" laptop - it is the only way I see your fat head across the park for a take down :p

Ok, RO2 not like original mod or even Ost but - I'm enjoying it and Germans being over powered - pfst - like what ever. They brought in magic fairy gun for the Germans but they also tweaked bolts and I find bolts are a lot more fun to take down them nurf gun totting nazi's :D:D:D

Also enjoying seeing lots of servers again and people are starting to get team play like was had in RO1. Let RO2 settle down and hopefully there will be updates and more content along the way like large open terrain maps with clown cars and half tracks and we can get down to doing what we do best - killing each other and having fun.

Now where's my AK47? (only joking devs, only joking).

Upvote 0