• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Best Commando loadout?

that fat man is none other than fat gabe, i imagine that pic is for those with steam issues.

If appropriate for the map, try one of the demo's launchers along side your rifle.
The reload bonus is handy, you really notice this with the 32 but if you take the 79 you can also have 2xHC and machete, or the axe.

And for what it's worth, commando vision might help if things get smokey.

Upvote 0
M32 + ak. Cos I just hate to have to "basically the same" gun.

With this combo I weak point is scrakes only. I can take down anything IF I NEED TO (normally you dont want your team in that suituation). For most of the time I focues on things under bloat ONLY. And if I need to, I can clear a retreat zone with 1-2 nades + M32. And thanks to the reload bonus on all weapons, commandos even reload faster than demos when using GLs.

Back in the days when SCAR is much more useful, usually I end a wave having an empty ak with around 6-8clips of SCAR. And now when I use this combo, I may run out of ammo with one of them, but up till now I haven't been use up ammo on both guns.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm starting to move over to this loadout from my previous favourite of SCAR/Bullpup. I do love the Bullpup but at the higher difficulties it doesn't have the punch for later waves.

Yeah...I definitely do not recommend the Bullpup for Hell on Earth lol. Never have understood why quite a few people prefer the bullpup over the ak47, other than the sights, in Hell on Earth...it shoots faster and has a bigger magazine, but that is nullified by the fact that it takes 2 headshots to decap a clot/gorefast/crawler/stalker/bloat as a level 6 commando, so you'll get a max of 25 kills per mag (not counting damage they've taken from other teammates). The AK-47 1-shot decaps any of the trash specimens and has a 37 round magazine, so you can get up to 37 kills per mag.

Upvote 0
Yeah...I definitely do not recommend the Bullpup for Hell on Earth lol. Never have understood why quite a few people prefer the bullpup over the ak47, other than the sights, in Hell on Earth...it shoots faster and has a bigger magazine, but that is nullified by the fact that it takes 2 headshots to decap a clot/gorefast/crawler/stalker/bloat as a level 6 commando, so you'll get a max of 25 kills per mag (not counting damage they've taken from other teammates). The AK-47 1-shot decaps any of the trash specimens and has a 37 round magazine, so you can get up to 37 kills per mag.

Agreed.

The only time I used the bullpup was when I was level 4 or 5 commando, whichever spawns with the bullpup, and for wave 1 only.

I would just empty the mags at the biggest group of specimens so that I wouldn't waste my pistols ammo; then sell the piece of crap after the very first wave.

Upvote 0
Semi-auto SCAR for picking off smaller specimen.
Full-auto AK47 for clearing hallways or taking out bigger specimen.
This is exactly what I use. A while back, I would buy a bullpup to pair with the ak, but due to the lack of money on HoE, I forgo the bullpup and just save up enough for the scar and armor. It seems to work much better that way and I always have a bit more dosh afterward.

Upvote 0
Agreed.

The only time I used the bullpup was when I was level 4 or 5 commando, whichever spawns with the bullpup, and for wave 1 only.

I would just empty the mags at the biggest group of specimens so that I wouldn't waste my pistols ammo; then sell the piece of crap after the very first wave.

Bullpup is pretty good if you can aim, despite its low damage. I have used it up to wave 10 before, on HoE.

Upvote 0
Bullpup is pretty good if you can aim, despite its low damage. I have used it up to wave 10 before, on HoE.

That's more to the merit of the shooter than the gun itself though. You can make the Bullpup work, but in Hell on Earth, I just can't see any real advantage over the AK47 other than the sight and, to a lesser extent (especially for a level 6 commando), recoil. I can snipe with the AK47 in Mountain Pass though, so that doesn't make a difference for me. But I guess that is also more to the merit of the shooter than the gun.
The Bullpup has a larger magazine and more ammo overall (500 rounds VS the AK47's 407) but both of those advantages are more than canceled out by the fact that it takes 2 shots to decap the trash specimens VS the AK47's 1 shot, so you can only get a max of 25 kills per magazine and 250 kills total in 1 wave (not counting damage from teammates and ammo box pickups), when the AK47 can potentially get 37 kills per magazine (Bullpup would need 74 rounds per mag to match this) and 407 kills total, which the Bullpup would need a whopping 814 total rounds to match. With a full H.o.E game, the AK47 also decaps sirens and husks in 6 shots and the Bullpup takes 11. Plus, in a pinch, the AK47 will do a lot more to a pissed off Scrake or Fleshpound.
Not saying it won't work in H.o.E because it clearly does, but between the numbers and my own experience with it, it's not an optimal choice.
I will concede though that the Bullpup does have a distinct advantage against the trash zeds in Hard or below, and to a lesser extent in suicidal, because it is able to 1-shot decap all of them and has more ammo in addition to the better sights and recoil (clots will still survive a few seconds in a full suicidal game, so the advantage is diminished some).

Last edited:
Upvote 0