• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What happened with the Haft-Hohlladung?

Scrappa

Grizzled Veteran
May 1, 2011
England
57904d1255476739-panzer-knacker-german-hafthohlladung-3-attach-hollow-charge-hand-mine-hafthohlladung_3.jpg

How come your guy throws this mine? In real life they designed it at first to be thrown but it quickly became apparent that it wouldn't work because the magnets were not powerful enough but it did work when attached on. The current throwing range is about 2feet so its almost no different to throw it anyway and it is making alot of people who like to see realism rage away at it being a thrown weapon.

If your guy ran up to the tank and plants it on the side it would look alot cooler instead of him grabbing it in one hand and throwing it in a huge arc upwards and it lands right on top the enemy tank. As far as I can tell its identical to the Russian counterpart, except the model and skin. He throws it the same. It lands the same. It does the same damage, by that I mean it sometimes kills the tank in 1 hit and sometimes it takes two hits.

Would be alot cooler if you planted it on. The game wouldn't suddenly be unbalanced. The throw range is 2feet anyway so it wouldn't change too much in that way and making it a garuanteed kill anyway if planted facing the engine deck or make it do substantial module/drew damage would balance it out with the thrown russian weapon.

Reactions: Nikita and Prof
It would need a timer then. ATM it detonates on impact.

But yeah, those magnets wouldn't stick if thrown. Not big enough. Big enough magnets would make the thing many times more heavy and thus not throwable... lol

Another problem is getting run over by the tank. That would happen more often than surviving the ordeal of running up to one and sticking a charge on the side without the game saying you were killed because your toe touched the tank treads.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
yea, the throwing range is pitiful on this thing. Was playing on the snowy/night map with alot of warehouses and trains, forgot what it's called, but I was playing as engineer, as I wasn't impressed with the AT Rifle (more like I wasn't sure were to shoot the tank, but I digress). So I pull out the tank mine, and I was hiding behind a section of a stand-alone wall. I see two Ruskies run up and hide in a ditch, several metres from my wall. So thinking my guy is going to actually throw the grenade, I throw it over, and as I'm throwing it, I can tell **** is about to hit the fan, as he tosses it as one would with a cinder block. Immediately I book it, sprinting the opposite direction, and here the big BOOM! and see two mangled corpses get thrown in front of me, I was laughing my head off.

Upvote 0
Not to nitpick, but satchels were used for that, though mostly thrown inside of bunkers.

You're correct that that was one use for satchels...although a rather limited use it was...

In single-player training it shows you how to blow a door with a satchel...none of that in multiplayer...and pre-release we were told that certain buildings and cover would be destroyable>>that would be a good use for satchels...as it stands now, sandbags sit unmoving like concrete and the only thing you can blow up are dinky little wooden fences>>so the only use that satchels have knowing all that is as GIANT anti-personnel grenades or tank killing (which hardly ever happens because of AT grenades or the face that tanks are really hard to approach in most maps)

so the engineer class degenerates into an Assault class with a ton of explosives that arent used strategically for blowing cover up but instead used like GIANT frag grenades

many a time ive seen engineers just spam satchels and at grenades till they die then rinse and repeat without ever touching the mp40

Upvote 0
I keep seeing realism thrown around in a "they didn't do that in WW2" way. Surely this game is about placing you in WW2, and I knew for sure I'd turn around to the commander and complain I'm out of AT grenades after using them for room clearing. I also regularly throw my gun away so I can sprint faster. I don't care if people did or didn't do that in WW2, I'm given the choice and that's what really makes this game great.

Upvote 0
You're correct that that was one use for satchels...although a rather limited use it was...

In single-player training it shows you how to blow a door with a satchel...none of that in multiplayer...and pre-release we were told that certain buildings and cover would be destroyable>>that would be a good use for satchels...as it stands now, sandbags sit unmoving like concrete and the only thing you can blow up are dinky little wooden fences>>so the only use that satchels have knowing all that is as GIANT anti-personnel grenades or tank killing (which hardly ever happens because of AT grenades or the face that tanks are really hard to approach in most maps)

so the engineer class degenerates into an Assault class with a ton of explosives that arent used strategically for blowing cover up but instead used like GIANT frag grenades

many a time ive seen engineers just spam satchels and at grenades till they die then rinse and repeat without ever touching the mp40

There is cover and doors you can blow up in Red October Factory (the door at A, left side for the russians, the welding shed left side and windows, as well as the house at E, left side) and Pavlov's house.

Upvote 0
The reason why it was thrown because it would be heavily inbalanced for the germans to have to place in onto tanks

Did you actually read my post?

The throw range is about 2feet anyway and sometimes it takes two to eliminate a tank so why not make the mine do extreme internal damage to anything that its pointing towards when planted on. It basically fired a giant jet into the tank turning the crew into soup in real life...

Don't all thrown objects kind of "stick" to tanks anyway? Just change it so it no longer detonates on impact and it will feel a little more realistic. It will also be less appealing as an anti infantry weapon because it will no longer blow up in your enemy's face (guilty of using this tactic :D).

How will it be more realistic? It will still look retarded when he throws it and it lands on top and sticks there. Nobody is using the AT mines/grenades correctly at the moment and the timer wont change anything because it wont be long enough to give the infantry time to run. Satchels are fine as they are but the AT mines/grenades are stupid and are being used like normal grenades with a bit more power.

The german AT Grenade/Mine is a shaped charge. All the explosive force goes in one direction and melts through tank armour so it wouldn't explode in the way it does ingame anyway.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How will it be more realistic? It will still look retarded when he throws it and it lands on top and sticks there. Nobody is using the AT mines/grenades correctly at the moment and the timer wont change anything because it wont be long enough to give the infantry time to run. Satchels are fine as they are but the AT mines/grenades are stupid and are being used like normal grenades with a bit more power.

The german AT Grenade/Mine is a shaped charge. All the explosive force goes in one direction and melts through tank armour so it wouldn't explode in the way it does ingame anyway.

I didn't say it would be perfect, but if I'm not mistaken, a fuse would actually be realistic. You also cant criticize the fuse length when it hasn't even been implemented.

IF it was modeled 100% accurately, it might be more trouble than it's actually worth. Assuming you are right about the fuse (which I don't think you are): "it wont be long enough to give the infantry time to run" - what makes you think the planter will have a better chance? And who is going to walk up to a tank and stand there for 2-3 seconds to plant a bomb? It is the most vulnerable position you can be in and that's if you are lucky enough to avoid getting shot or run over on your way there. At least with a short range, thrown device, you can use it behind cover or from a trench, which is better from a gameplay perspective.

Yes, I usually prefer realistic weapon modeling, but this is one of those cases where I could go either way. If TW wants to model it correctly and make Axis AT a challenge (suicide), then I'm ok with it, but I'm not angry about it being a thrown weapon either.

A fuse alone would probably be enough to make the AT nades "balanced", though, I wouldn't mind having a longer throw radius for the Russian variant at the cost of power. Having the fuse would make it easy enough for infantry to avoid and it would give the player enough time to throw it from ~3feet and take cover. That being said, if you want to get up close and personal with the tank, I will gladly provide the cover fire :).

If you want to be really nitpicky, the weapons should look something like:

Hafthohlladung
- current throw range / alt fire "plant" (pretty sure an underhand toss could pass for this given the uber short range)
- instant tank kill
- 4-5 second fuse (accurate for the period based on Google search)

RPG40
- regular grenade throw distance
- weak against armor
- (?) fuse time

There, you have asymmetrical balance where the Russian side still manages to get the short end of the stick :D.

Upvote 0