• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why Stalingrad?

To be honest I'm happy they decided to put all their focus into one relatively small timeframe, it should mean they can produce a really polished game. The battle wasn't just in the city, but also in the surrounding areas so if 'done right' there should be enough variety in gameplay to keep most people happy.
The other plus of having such a narrow focus is that hopefully TW can do some in-depth research and use this game to educate and dispell some of the myths even books and films have propagated about the battle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Stalingrad = Largest and deadliest battle of WWII... Sounds like a good premise for a realistic WWII FPS.

You know whats way over done in games? The West fighting in Normandy. The Eastern Front is actually rarely done in comparison.

thesoviet9th... You might want to make a new account because everyone thinks your just a tool.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mikhail said:
Stalingrad = Largest and deadliest battle of WWII...
Again that's the Battle of Kursk not Stalingrad.-:D

Stalingrad is the most "brutal" (home of the"RattenKrieg"): hand to hand fighting was common, smoke ash, artillery everywhere (they still find bodies that have been buried by the arty explosions today), burning fuel from the big oil drums every where,ect. It also had some decent Luftwaffe coverage (at least before January 1943 in Stalingrad) as well especially in the whole of Operation Blau for example: in Sevastopol the Luftwaffe in the first week of the assault on the city dropped over 1000 tons of bombs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And, yes, Stalingrad is WAY overdone. Not just in games, but in movies, novels and in general media. Most people who know the basics of WW2 know about Stalingrad.

Maybe, but practically the way it's modelled is pretty much having two extremes:

1. Simple, arcadish (maybe ok, but very bland\sucks more than a prostitute) shooters with respawning enemies up the arse and fairly generic movie-alike BS.

2. More or less detailed strategy games, usually greater emphasis on realism.

You can pretty much pick any game genre, but only strategy gamers are given proper facts or simulations\ideas about things, for others it's just bland sandwich decorated with fancy visuals.

Upvote 0
HAH!

I don't think I've seen one FPS on Korea, neither have I seen one on the Italian Front, that had some brutal battles: Ortona, That one beach assault (Forget the name), and Cassino, plus I've never seen a retail game OR a mod on the Canadians, the Italians, the New Zealanders, and... well...

Ok, maybe the reason why is because nobody wants to play the small countries that are used as meat bags, but isn't the Ost-Front just a BIG meat bag "Russia"?

haha, but we can't all just complain about what hasn't been done and expect it to be done. lets just see how this new RO is going to be, then complain, eh? :p

Upvote 0