• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Extremely weird looking muzzle flashes

As far as I know, every shot creates a muzzle flash to some extent, it's just that the frame rate of the video footage is too low to catch it. The muzzle flash can actually be pretty big (obviously dependent on the gun/ammunition but this gives a rough idea):

You do know that you run the game at a certain frame rate as well. Videos are probably the best source if anything as just like a game they show sampled imagery. If someone is playing with 30fps he should everything pretty much exactly the same as in all videos. And most daylight videos hardly show any flash, where you can really see it in night-time videos.

The flash should appear and disappear really quickly, since at max you can only see 60 frames per second. It would appear more realistically to basically show a really faint and small flash or even none at all. Than to show a big flash for a much longer period than in reality.

So sure the flash exists and due to the sampling of cameras they they simply do not show up on tape, but with the sampling of video-cards you should get a similar chance of a flash not showing on screen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Videos are probably the best source if anything as just like a game they show sampled imagery.

Definitely not. Take car wheels spinning the wrong way for example.

I think it's better that there is a flash for the shortest time possible then not at all in case you would be able to see it in real-life. And you can see fast changes in your vision pretty well. With an automatic weapon it would make even more sense to have them in the game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The flash should just be more transparent due to the extremely short period of time that it exists, and smoke should be a separate effect (if it's not already) that lingers then fades. These effects are quite old in video games and performance really shouldn't be an issue given all of the shaders and high resolution textures that are also expected to be processed by the computer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hohenstaufen
Upvote 0
i never used ППШ 41 so i don't know if this looks real , but Mosin carbine does create gigantic fireball very visible during daytime , so maybe it was early generic

I was jut about to say the same thing.

I have never fired a ppsh, but as far as this notion of "no fireball or visible flash during the day". That's crap. On some guns, you CAN see the flash and fireball in daylight.

Upvote 0
I was jut about to say the same thing.

I have never fired a ppsh, but as far as this notion of "no fireball or visible flash during the day". That's crap. On some guns, you CAN see the flash and fireball in daylight.

I've never been able to see the fireball of a M44 in broad daylight (with my naked eye). Only in lower light situations, ie when cloudy or dusk. Also, the simply reason why you probably won't see a flash for a PPSh41 is because it's got a long barrel and a low powered cartridge.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have no idea about some of this, although I do think that muzzle flashes are fun and can be totally done in a realism-ish manner.

But check these flashes out--they have rings!

YouTube - Desert Eagle .50AE
You're comparing apples and oranges here. As has been stated many times in this thread, muzzle flash varies from weapon to weapon and also relies on factors such as ammo/powder type, barrel length, etc etc. Pistols tend to have more flash than submachine guns. Just because one or two pistols in this video show a flash doesn't mean that that blanket flash should be applied to all weapons.

Personally I think it would be amazing to see some smoke come from the ejector ports and the end of the barrel, especially on submachine guns. That would be ace!

Upvote 0
You do know that you run the game at a certain frame rate as well. Videos are probably the best source if anything as just like a game they show sampled imagery. If someone is playing with 30fps he should everything pretty much exactly the same as in all videos. And most daylight videos hardly show any flash, where you can really see it in night-time videos......

Ahh yes Zets, but eyes do not work with discrete frames like video, it's more of a continuous blend. Sudden flashes of bright light can leave a lasting impression (like when you stare at a lightbulb for too long then look away :D), so it would be better to model the muzzle flash based what actual human observers think. Of course, none of this actually matters because we'll end up with a massive battleship muzzle flash that looks totally badass and everyone will forget about this ridiculous thread.

Reactions: Kirq
Upvote 0
Spent the day yesterday firing a 1926 M91/30, 80 rounds, not a single flash all day. Ammo used was surplus, not exactly sure on the date, but they were >50 years old. Very dirty corrosive ammo.

My WASR 10/63 didn't flash either, but I'd have been surprised if it did.

I've got no problem with the occasional flash from an SMG or carbine like the M44 during the day due to slight differences in ammo quality, but for the most part we should only be seeing puffs of light smoke.

I'm sure Tripwire is well aware of this, the flashes in the first game weren't too bad.

Now if only they could get other details like making the grass around you move when you fire a rifle. Details make me happy. :p

Upvote 0
I have no idea about some of this, although I do think that muzzle flashes are fun and can be totally done in a realism-ish manner.

But check these flashes out--they have rings!

Round fired by .50 AE Desert Eagle:

12.7x33mm

Round fired by PPSH-41:

7.62x25mm
400px-CartridgeComparison.jpg

The one on the left... 9mm second from right
220px-Tokarev%2Cparabellum%2C32.JPG

9mm on right, 7.62 Tokarev in middle. Compare the two cartridges relative to 9mm. Both are bigger, but it's a huge size difference with the .50 AE. The case is much fatter and propels a MUCH larger and heavier projectile at about the same velocity.

The Desert Eagle and the PPSH-41 have approx the same barrel length, so the Deagle is gonna make a massive boom due to the more powerful cartridge. It's one of the most powerful handguns in the world, and easily the most powerful automatic handgun cartridge in the world. Edit, I also forgot to mention that the .50 AE will blow your head clean off.

To give you some idea, a grown man can take several 7.62 Tokarev's to nonlethal areas, whereas a .50 AE is used for self-defense against grizzly bears. It will blow giant holes in people.

The reason there's a giant muzzle flash with the .50 AE Desert Eagle is simply that it's stupidly overpowered for the barrel length. Like an M44, which also has a giant muzzle flash.

Also, take a look at where they're shooting. That's not broad daylight, that's the inside of a low-lit closed shooting range, in which a source of bright light, e.g. a muzzle flash, is much more visible.

Barrel length, cartridge, and light levels are all factors making the .50 AE visible whereas the PPSH's gunfire in broad daylight would be barely visible.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Ahh yes Zets, but eyes do not work with discrete frames like video, it's more of a continuous blend. Sudden flashes of bright light can leave a lasting impression (like when you stare at a lightbulb for too long then look away :D), so it would be better to model the muzzle flash based what actual human observers think. Of course, none of this actually matters because we'll end up with a massive battleship muzzle flash that looks totally badass and everyone will forget about this ridiculous thread.

Sure your eye doesn't watch the game in frames but most people watch a monitor that outputs at a certain frame-rate and watch that with their eyes. Ideally a frame sample would be an average of everything that happened during said frame.

Upvote 0