• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sewer Combat and Darkness

Randy2k6

Dec 18, 2010
I've seen the thread about night combat, but there could also be an element of darkness in daytime maps. For example the sewers in real life are so dark you can't see anything at all, why not put this in the real game. Use flashlights to make your way through. Flashlight in one hand and an Mp40 for example in the other. This of course means very inaccurate fire, but it would make it more interesting. You'd actually be looking for the enemy's flashlight and you could of course try to hide by turning yours off.

I think this could work very well. Because when playing the old Lenningrad map in RO1 you'd just be f*cked in the sewers if there was a russian sniper at the other end. This way you could try to keep your flashlight off and sneak towards him, and hope he doesnt see you.

View distance should be like 4 meters from you, maybe less... because in real life that's kind of how darkness works, you can often see things when they get closer in the dark.

It would be even better if you could make it so that your eyes have to adjust from light to darkness, like when you enter the dark after being outside you'll be able to see even less.

There could of course be parts where natural light shines in and of course some parts where there might be a small fire or just normal lighting but it should be very limited so not the entire sewer is lit up.

Please only give serious comments on this, non of that COD style: but I'm noob and like unrealistic things. Please.

Last edited:
Reactions: skittlesareyum47
Were soldiers issued flashlights in Stalingrad..?:p

Yes, I don't know about the Russians but German soldiers did have some flashlights, particularly the Daimon: http://i37.tinypic.com/264j7fk.jpg

I don't know how many were issued though and iirc they were meant for signals but I'm sure they came in handy for seeing from time to time.

Upvote 0
I reckon this is an aright idea, i meen if you can use a flash light then no worries. But you've made me think of an idea, your eyes should adjust to the darkness should you be in a dark enviroment for a while (say 30 secs) to give you a fraction more vision and that way maps can have dark areas that you can't see in (well) unless you become acustomed to the dark and you then have a visual edge over that area.

its realistic and adds more to thought and fear and i've also had a bit to drink

Upvote 0
Yes, I don't know about the Russians but German soldiers did have some flashlights, particularly the Daimon: [url]http://i37.tinypic.com/264j7fk.jpg[/URL]

I don't know how many were issued though and iirc they were meant for signals but I'm sure they came in handy for seeing from time to time.

Well, it doesnt have to be that historically accurate does it? It would just give the game more variety and make it more immersive.

Upvote 0
I reckon this is an aright idea, i meen if you can use a flash light then no worries. But you've made me think of an idea, your eyes should adjust to the darkness should you be in a dark enviroment for a while (say 30 secs) to give you a fraction more vision and that way maps can have dark areas that you can't see in (well) unless you become acustomed to the dark and you then have a visual edge over that area.

its realistic and adds more to thought and fear and i've also had a bit to drink

There was a system like that in "Amnesia: The Dark Descent" (Bit of a different genre though ...)

But anyway that would be pretty cool.

Upvote 0